bacardixs0.jpg
D700 and some glass

www.gjohnstone.com

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2006
    gavin wrote:
    using the new light box i built

I can't see most of the bottle Gavin, its become part of the background.

The lid of the bottle almost look like its totally detached from the lower part of the bottle..... I think you are sooooooo on the right path with this image, it's a little over exposed ...... but I still like it thumb.gif

I'd like to be able to clearly see the entire outline of the bottle ..... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • gavingavin Registered Users Posts: 411 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    I can't see most of the bottle Gavin, its become part of the background.

The lid of the bottle almost look like its totally detached from the lower part of the bottle..... I think you are sooooooo on the right path with this image, it's a little over exposed ...... but I still like it thumb.gif

I'd like to be able to clearly see the entire outline of the bottle ..... Skippy

Must be your monitor Skippy, other part that blends in to the background is the left edge.

I agree, stilll need to twique some thigns on the box, and get a light comming in from behind the image
    D700 and some glass

www.gjohnstone.com
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 27, 2006
    Skip's monitor is probably a bit bright. I can see the outline, but I'd still have cranked it down a hair or so. Super nice and even light, though. thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2006
    nice photo
    i can see outline of right side but left side is littel more gone
    is my monitor's brightness fine ?headscratch.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited December 27, 2006
    nice photo
    i can see outline of right side but left side is littel more gone
    is my monitor's brightness fine ?headscratch.gif

Thanks guys. i am just working on the lights, need to buy some more. :)

thanks for the comments
    D700 and some glass

www.gjohnstone.com
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2006
    gavin wrote:
    using the new light box i built

Hi Gavin........ I tilted my screen a little more and I can see more of the bottle though it does still blend in with the background, on the left on the shoulder of the bottle and I see it on the right as well..
    .. but like David said it's possibly my screen.

So you built yourself a Light Box hey clap.gif so how many lights are you using to light it up, and what shape did you make your box ?? .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited December 27, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi Gavin........ I tilted my screen a little more and I can see more of the bottle though it does still blend in with the background, on the left on the shoulder of the bottle and I see it on the right as well..
    .. but like David said it's possibly my screen.

So you built yourself a Light Box hey clap.gif so how many lights are you using to light it up, and what shape did you make your box ?? .... Skippy

Well at the moment i am only using my 2 alien bees.... that would be why its blowen out. Need to make a trip to the hardware store and buy some cheap work lights to use. Probably 5, so i can get even ligthing all around and reflecting off the sides. I also need to add a top once i get my other lights so i can bounce the lights off all teh surfaces.

Here is my setup as of last night.

tentlz5.jpg
    D700 and some glass

www.gjohnstone.com
    edited December 27, 2006
    Here is a re-do, any better?

bacardiredovd3.jpg
    D700 and some glass

www.gjohnstone.com
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited December 27, 2006
    I like the high-key approach to this shot thumb.gif but I would prefer if the bottle were full.

(and it's just a tiny smidge out of plumb)
  • davidryandavidryan Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2006
    Maybe it is over-exposed because half of the contents has already been consumed. ne_nau.gif
  • BendrBendr Registered Users Posts: 665 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2006
    I recall reading a trick for glass, that is putting a dark material just outside of the frame, so that it reflects off the glass a little and darkens the edges.

Anyway,
    Have Fun!
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2006
    Bendr wrote:
    I recall reading a trick for glass, that is putting a dark material just outside of the frame, so that it reflects off the glass a little and darkens the edges.

Anyway,
    Have Fun!
    Yes, a piece of black cardboard/foamcore/construction paper on each side should do the trick. Make them as tall as the bottle.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72