Photoshop Elements 5 - worth the $$ to upgrade form 4?

mutineermutineer Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
edited December 29, 2006 in Finishing School
I have 4 and the upgrade to 5, while not expensive is still a good 80 bucks

does not look like much of an improvement for photo work, looks like more of a regular consumer upgrade

It has more scrapobok tricks and slideshow stuff, but no real technical upgrades stuff as far as I can tell.

I may pull the trigger though because I can't find my disk and I want to install it on my machine at work.

Simply cannot justify the bucks for CS yet, I can't use all of Elements, even though curves would be nice to have.

Is there somehting in 5 that makes it better for our non-pro purposes

Comments

• kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2006
    I found the upgrade from version 3 to be worth it. A version of smart sharpen and curves (limited of course compared with CS), plus the "magic" image extractor works much better than I was able to do on my own.

I like the history palette better than undo/redo command. The organizer seems faster and has some better tools than version 3.

Download the trial version for your work computer and see how you like it.

Gene

mutineer wrote:

does not look like much of an improvement for photo work, looks like more of a regular consumer upgrade

It has more scrapobok tricks and slideshow stuff, but no real technical upgrades stuff as far as I can tell.

I may pull the trigger though because I can't find my disk and I want to install it on my machine at work.

Simply cannot justify the bucks for CS yet, I can't use all of Elements, even though curves would be nice to have.

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2006
    mutineer wrote:

Hi there I upgraded from version 3 to 5, and it is different however I have heard others say its not worth it to go from 4 to 5.

Hopefully someone who has version 4 can tell you what they think, those who upgraded from 3 will have noticed a big difference....... Skippy

Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • emtajimemtajim Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited December 27, 2006
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi there I upgraded from version 3 to 5, and it is different however I have heard others say its not worth it to go from 4 to 5.

Hopefully someone who has version 4 can tell you what they think, those who upgraded from 3 will have noticed a big difference....... Skippy

I upgraded from version 4 to 5. Not a big difference just a few tweaks, but I do like the quick link download to Smug Mug. I'm happy with the upgrade but you may want to check out the Adobe site for a list of the upgrades vs version 4 before spending your hard earned cash.

Jim
  • mutineermutineer Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited December 27, 2006
    emtajim wrote:
    I upgraded from version 4 to 5. Not a big difference just a few tweaks, but I do like the quick link download to Smug Mug. I'm happy with the upgrade but you may want to check out the Adobe site for a list of the upgrades vs version 4 before spending your hard earned cash.

Jim

oooh ooooh

tell me more about the quick link thingy to smugmug

plus I sorta stopped on the way home and bought it

I heard you can do curves in Elements now

not that I know how though
  • emtajimemtajim Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited December 29, 2006
    mutineer wrote:
    oooh ooooh

tell me more about the quick link thingy to smugmug

plus I sorta stopped on the way home and bought it

I heard you can do curves in Elements now

not that I know how though

It's easy, pick the shots you want to send to Smug Mug, click on the "Share your Photos" icon at the top and click on the "Send your photos to Smug Mug" and away you go.

There is a "Reader's Digest" condensed version of curves but it would appear to be not as extensive as the "real curves".

All the other tools are there some are now just in different spots.

Anyway, I'm glad I did the upgrade and hope you have fun with it as well.

Jim