Ch 29: First entry ever.

ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
edited January 6, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
This is my first entry into a contest. I didn't edit it much because I don't really know how to edit it :)

Any suggestions would be great. I'm still learning photography.
Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici

Comments

• cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2005
    welcome to dgrin wave.gif

Very lovely shot for your first post clap.gif

Good light in the eyes. The picture is a bit dark, but a dark dog against dark background is always going to make for a dark picture. Also the pooch looks just a tiny bit out of focus.

Is your dog a willing model??? If so you might try a reshoot in a little bit better light with a lighter background. The lighter background will help seperate the dog from the background. Better light will keep the camera from having to rely on the flash. These first-person shots are tough with on board flash. Since your arm is so close to the camera (and the flash) it gets a ton of light on it, and it turns out over exposed.
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2005
    cletus wrote:
    welcome to dgrin wave.gif
    Welcome!wave.gif I love doggies so you have a good start.. I agree with Cletus so although I liked your shot looking forward to your next one...1drink.gif well doneclap.gif
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2005
    Cletus darling, why are you looking so blue..???? are you cold???
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2005
    Cletus said it all. Man, he talks a lot. umph.gif

rolleyes1.gif

Welcome to dgrin, cc! The only way to improve is to keep shooting, so go crazy, man. And it's especially instructional to go back and try the same shot again, making it better. nod.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    Cletus darling, why are you looking so blue..???? are you cold???
    nod.gifnod.gifnod.gif
  • landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2005
    Welcome! I like it, though it is a bit dark. Such a loving look of a dog to his human. Maybe he's thinking, "Just a little higher...Yeah, that's the spot!" mwink.gif

Laurie
    Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2005
    Love the doggie...
    Ditto - everything Cletus said. But, be sure to get those eyes just like that on the reshoot.:D The expression is just a heart grabber. Well, maybe you can get something equally as good. I'm a sucker for sad eyes. Looking forward to more pics from you. Oh, and welcome! Glad to have you aboard.

Oh Lynn.... Love your new avatar. It must be cold back there. It's actually pretty cold here in California too. Had some snow in the nearby mtns.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • ccpickreccpickre Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2005
    Thanks everyone :)

As for the darkness, yeah, like I said I'm still learning. I was taking pictures with a full flash, but that made them too bright and washed out the detail.

As for the "blurryness" that might have been because I didn't think of cropping the picture FIRST when i was uploading, so I lowered the quality in Photoshop to about a 5, THEN I cropped it. I guess I could go back to the original and crop first. The strange thing is. I set the picture to fit the size limit for the upload, and it seemed quite smaller in photoshop than when I posted it. I think it expanded it when it posted as well, so that may have done something. Either that or I have no spatial sense.

Her eyes crack me up. I get that green even with redness reduction. I think it's just a natural dog thing, or at least it is with my dog, because every head on picture with her is green and pretty hard to remove in photoshop. I like the effect though :)

As for "willing model" she's the worst. She gets bored, and I think she really doesn't like her picture being taken :) She'll wander off after a few seconds. I got lucky with that one cause she just wanted attention. I was really worried that she was going to lick the lens. She is extremely affectionate, and likes to lick things. I am a server and my shoes are usually horribly disgusting, yet she licks them all the time.

My dad has been on this forum for a while. I had no reason, until i got a sweet camera for my birthday :) Which was PERFECT because I'm leaving for an internship in Orlando, Florida in a few weeks. It'll probably take me forever to get there with my camera handy. I have othr pictures I might put up. Most of them of our two dogs :)

Thanks for the comments though.

PS. I reuploaded it. Saved at better quality, and cropped fist. As well as some color tweaking. I'm tempted to do some effects, but there isn't much to filter into an effect :)
    Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici