Cliche' baby shot..

christulkchristulk Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
edited December 28, 2006 in People
Cliche'd (spelling??) I know, but am interested in feedback, as I would like to stage a better shot. (got this one quickly whilst changing a nappie). I don't think the angle of the mother's arm is right. I would also like any feedback on how to improve the B&W conversion. I use a layered approach, sharpen first, desaturate, levels, contrast and curves. Not sure it is giving me the right B&W look/feel.

C&C invited. thanks in advance.
C&C always welcomed.

Cheers

Chris

http://christulk.smugmug.com

'alot' is two words "a_______lot":D

Comments

• 11photographs11photographs Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited December 27, 2006
    babies have such expressive feet! giggle.gif

id suggest having mom move her pinkie
    and show less of her wrist

keep playing with it
    maybe soften rather than sharpen?!

its truly lovely yes.gif
    (and im sure the mom would heart.gif a copy)
  • illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2006
    I really like this shot, beatiful black and white photos.
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • christulkchristulk Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2006
    thank you both for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it:D
    C&C always welcomed.

Cheers

Chris

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2006
    Beautiful shot (cliche or not!). iloveyou.gif You might try a slightly tighter crop if the mother's wrist bothers you....it brings the focus back to the baby's feet. I like the mother's pinkie...it gives a sense of scale to the small size of those tiny toes!!! Does this crop appeal to you? (I can remove this if you wish.) If you have more space in the original shot, you might frame it less centered than I have. One thing I am slowly learning is to back up and not fill the frame so tightly when shooting so I have room to find the best crop on the computer. Having been previously taught to "crop in the camera" I am finding it difficult to re-think this!!! :D

119463502-L.jpg
  • christulkchristulk Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    Beautiful shot (cliche or not!). iloveyou.gif You might try a slightly tighter crop if the mother's wrist bothers you....it brings the focus back to the baby's feet. I like the mother's pinkie...it gives a sense of scale to the small size of those tiny toes!!! Does this crop appeal to you? (I can remove this if you wish.) If you have more space in the original shot, you might frame it less centered than I have. One thing I am slowly learning is to back up and not fill the frame so tightly when shooting so I have room to find the best crop on the computer. Having been previously taught to "crop in the camera" I am finding it difficult to re-think this!!! :D

119463502-L.jpg

Thanks Saurora, I do like your crop, as it does remove the large amount of wrist that was there. Thanks for taking the time.
    I too have tried as much as possible to 'camera crop' in the past, and must admit I am still 'guilty' of it to a degree, although cropping on the computer is a good way to vary the results of a photo.

Thanks again for your critique. :D
    C&C always welcomed.

Cheers

Chris

• SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2006
    So sweet...great shot...iloveyou.gif