My sister can't view my site

NikonGirlNikonGirl Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
edited December 28, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I sent out a note to my family advising them that the Christmas pictures were ready for viewing. My sister wrote me an email note back that she's having problems.

Specifically she said "I keep getting a run time error when I try to go back a page in IE. It locks up and kicks me out of IE. Don't know if it is my IE or if it is coming from out of the Web Site you are on."

She then wrote me a second email which says:
"It just did it again and it is a C++ error that pops up under IE. I tried to jump back to your home page and it did the same thing. If you just stay in the one set of pictures in the gallery, it works fine."

I have no problem viewing my site using Firefox.
Here's the link to my Christmas pictures:
http://www.yolanda.smugmug.com/gallery/2277127

I actually didn't send them the link to the specific gallery. They all know where to look for it.

Any suggestions? I don't know what version of IE she's using. But should that matter?

Thanks!

Comments

• NikonGirlNikonGirl Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2006
    Well I tried it myself using IE instead of Firefox and I'm getting the same error messages. I took screen shots if anybody needs to see them. I first get a runtime error "R6025 pure virtual fuction call". When I click OK, IE freezes completely. When I try to close IE, I get "program not responding".

Is anybody else having this problem?

My version of IE is 6.0.2900.2180.

Thanks
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2006
    NikonGirl wrote:
    Well I tried it myself using IE instead of Firefox and I'm getting the same error messages. I took screen shots if anybody needs to see them. I first get a runtime error "R6025 pure virtual fuction call". When I click OK, IE freezes completely. When I try to close IE, I get "program not responding".

Is anybody else having this problem?

Thanks
    Working here with IE6
    AL
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2006
    NikonGirl wrote:

Thanks

Both of you should update to IE 7 for all kinds of reasons - the least of which is that it solves this problem. (At least, I didn't have any problems with your galleries in IE7).
    edited December 27, 2006
    So what you 're saying is that Smugmug is not compatible with IE 6.0? Is it assumed that everybody has upgraded to IE 7.0?
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2006
    Hi, sorry I can't replicate in IE6. It's working perfectly here in IE6.

I looked at your customization, nothing out of the ordinary.

More details on exactly how to replicate, please.
    edited December 27, 2006
    NikonGirl wrote:
    So what you 're saying is that Smugmug is not compatible with IE 6.0? Is it assumed that everybody has upgraded to IE 7.0?
    Of course we are.

IE6, IE7, Firefox and Safari are the officially supported browsers.
    edited December 27, 2006
    NikonGirl wrote:

No, I'm not saying that. One, because I don't work for Smugmug and don't say anything for them. Two, because it's not what I said - I'm sorry I left it a bit ambiguous.

Everyone who uses IE at all should upgrade to IE 7. In addition to the many, many extra features it has, it is a far more secure browser (firefox discussions aside) than IE 6.
  • richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2006
    Got this while trying to access a gallery in the Family Galleries.
    WinXP Pro ie6
    edited December 27, 2006
    Pupator wrote:
    Both of you should update to IE 7 for all kinds of reasons - the least of which is that it solves this problem. (At least, I didn't have any problems with your galleries in IE7).
    Ha, I running Win2KP, can't.:D
    Lucky me, never use IE anyway.
    Al
    edited December 27, 2006
    Yolanda, I've asked Ivar to take a look, if there's an error somewhere in your code, he'll find it deal.gif
    edited December 28, 2006
    Thanks for your help. I had to leave for a bit this evening after my initial post, so I apologize for not replying earlier.

RichW - that is exactly the message I received. Thanks for posting.

Andy--I'll wait patiently for yours and Ivar's response - I know you'll find the problem.

Thanks.
  • PigmyPuncherPigmyPuncher Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited December 28, 2006
    FWIW - no viewing errors using Safari...
    NikonGirl wrote:
    Thanks for your help. I had to leave for a bit this evening after my initial post, so I apologize for not replying earlier.

RichW - that is exactly the message I received. Thanks for posting.

Andy--I'll wait patiently for yours and Ivar's response - I know you'll find the problem.

Thanks.

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2006
    All the functions and calls on your pages seem to be fine. I can't reproduce it. It coudl have something to do with this.
    edited December 28, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    All the functions and calls on your pages seem to be fine. I can't reproduce it. It coudl have something to do with this.

Ivar, are you unable to reproduce the problem while using IE Version 6? It seems to be occuring with IE Ver 6.

The page you referred me to is very technical and I don't understand it 100%. But this part of the page concerns me (in bold).
    A supported hotfix is now available from Microsoft, but it is only intended to correct the problem that is described in this article. Only apply it to systems that are experiencing this specific problem. This hotfix may receive additional testing. Therefore, if you are not severely affected by this problem, we recommend that you wait for the next Windows XP service pack that contains this hotfix.
    Can you advise me what my next step should be? I feel at a loss here. So far, my site is the only site where this problem is occuring. My sister and another family member who had the same problem are browsing the internet without any problems. It's just my site where the error is occuring.

Do you recommend I remove customization from my site? Should I download this recommended fix? If so, that may fix the problem on my computer? What about others who are having the problem?

I guess I need help, 'cause right now I feel helpless.
    edited December 28, 2006
    NikonGirl wrote:
    Do you recommend I remove customization from my site? Should I download this recommended fix? If so, that may fix the problem on my computer? What about others who are having the problem?

I guess I need help, 'cause right now I feel helpless.
    Ivar was showing you that it's an IE6 bug, Yolanda. Do not remove anything from your site.

Why not upgrade to IE7?
    edited December 28, 2006
    Andy-
    I can upgrade to IE7 and fix the problem on my computer. What about others? Am I supposed to advise my sister to upgrade as well? THe only site she's having problems viewing is mine. I guess I don't understand why if it's an IE bug, then why is my site the only site where the problem occurs?

And based on your answer and Ivar's, the solution that I'm hearing is upgrade to 7 or download the fix. Either way, it requires action on the user's part. I'd like to find a way to fix the problem so it doesn't require somebody to do something in order to see my site. That's why I asked if removing customization would help.
    edited December 28, 2006
    For the record, two other family members and a friend are having the same problem. And for all of them, the problem is occuring on my site only.
    edited December 28, 2006
    NikonGirl wrote:
    Andy-
    I can upgrade to IE7 and fix the problem on my computer. What about others? Am I supposed to advise my sister to upgrade as well? THe only site she's having problems viewing is mine. I guess I don't understand why if it's an IE bug, then why is my site the only site where the problem occurs?

And based on your answer and Ivar's, the solution that I'm hearing is upgrade to 7 or download the fix. Either way, it requires action on the user's part. I'd like to find a way to fix the problem so it doesn't require somebody to do something in order to see my site. That's why I asked if removing customization would help.
    Well, the only code that I could suspect, is your nikon webring code, so if you want, temporarily remove that and see...
    edited December 28, 2006
    I removed the webring code - that didn't seem to work. Now I get the error message on my Home Page, not just a gallery.
    edited December 28, 2006
    Yolanda,

I don't know what else to tell you, it's a strange IE6 bug, that Microsoft acknolwledges. It's not due to SmugMug code, or your customization.

Sorry.
    edited December 28, 2006
    NikonGirl wrote:
    I removed the webring code - that didn't seem to work. Now I get the error message on my Home Page, not just a gallery.
    Viewing page sourse found this.
    Is this in your header or head tag?
    #stylebar {....
    edited December 28, 2006
    NikonGirl wrote:
    I removed the webring code
    Still getting the error here. You have gone this far, how about removing Stat Sounter code to see if that's it..
    edited December 28, 2006
    I guess I'm on my own on this one then. It will be difficult to explain to everyone that even though the problem only occurs on MY site on different computers and to different people - it's not a Smugmug problem.

And even though it's an acknowledged Microsoft bug - there's something about my site that is causing it.
    edited December 28, 2006
    Rich
    Good suggestion! I removed stat counter. That seemed to work for me.

How about you? Do you still get the error message?
    edited December 28, 2006
    NikonGirl wrote:
    Rich
    Good suggestion! I removed stat counter. That seemed to work for me.

How about you? Do you still get the error message?
    No error message. I'll be browsing around your site through the day. I'll let you know...
    edited December 28, 2006
    Thank you Rich! I appreciate your help on this. I just spoke with my sister and she's no longer having problems viewing my site.

I'm so glad I was able to "fix" the problem on my end without her having to do something on her end.

Now if I could just somehow add my stat code back and my webring code back...that would be nice. Meanwhile, I'll do without.

Thanks again!
    clap.gif
    edited December 28, 2006
    NikonGirl wrote:
    Now if I could just somehow add my stat code back and my webring code back...that would be nice. Meanwhile, I'll do without.

Thanks again!
    clap.gif

Why not go ahead and add the webring code back? Since removing it didn't fix the problem, adding it back shouldn't change anything.
    edited December 28, 2006
    Pupator wrote:
    Why not go ahead and add the webring code back? Since removing it didn't fix the problem, adding it back shouldn't change anything.

Thank you Pupator! I added the webring code back and it looks like that wasn't the problem. So I guess it was the stat code that was the problem.

Thanks again.
    edited December 28, 2006
    I've visited your site a few times today with and without the webring link in place.
    No problems....thumb.gif
    edited December 28, 2006
    I wonder if something's changed with the way Statcounter works? ne_nau.gif