Options

I got a new lawnmower for Christmas

ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
edited December 28, 2006 in Wildlife
Today was rainy and gloomy. A winter storm hit the Yosemite area and I was just north-ish of that area...low enough elevation that we only had rain but it kept me inside most of the day...until I happened to look outside late afternoon.

There, on the front lawn of my cabin, was my brand new lawnmower making sure my grass stays well groomed:

119361823-M.jpg

What's that, too small to work efficiently? OK, maybe that one is just the weed whacker...here's the real lawnmower showing how it's really done:

119360849-M.jpg

Yep, two nice bucks hanging out in my front yard. There were two Does with them as well...I should say, there were two Does with the larger buck. He made it clear to the smaller buck more than once that these were his!

They didn't get into any head butting (man, that would've made for some great shots!) but the little guy did get chased away a few times for trying to get close to the ladies.

Here's a shot of the little buck watching wistfully from the neighbor's yard after being chased out of my yard by the big lawnmower:

119360134-M.jpg

You can almost hear him thinking, "harumph! Why does he need two? It's not fair! There should be one for each of us! Greedy pig!" :D

Here's the big one with his lady friends after the Does wandered over to the neighbor's yard:

119362268-M.jpg

When the Does wandered next door, the big buck was right behind them but that's where the little buck was...past tense! Little buck made quick tracks back into my yard to finish trimming the tall grass down to size.

Here's the little guy relaxing and enjoying the view of the lake after a tough afternoon of yard work:

119363904-M.jpg

119347812-M.jpg

The big buck got sneaky and tried to hide in the neighbor's yard. I'm not sure if he was hiding from me or hoping to ambush the small buck the next time it strayed too close to the ladies. He sure is nestled into the bushes pretty well:

119361500-M.jpg

Most of the shots were taken from the balcony, one floor above the deer. The horse shoe pit that the bucks are grazing next too in some of the pics is about 40 ft out from the edge of the balcony. The neighbor's yard is maybe another 6 or 8 feet lower than my yard and the shrubs the big buck was hiding in are just inside their property maybe 20-30 ft from the corner of my balcony...deer hang out near those shrubs pretty often and it's a great setup for shooting down at them.

The shots of the small buck laying down with a bit of the lake in the background was taken from the ground floor (there's a patio below the balcony and I snuck out there for the last bit of shooting).

Comments

• Options
    Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2006
    Great captures, well done!

Thanks for sharing.

Dick.
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.
  • Options
    dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2006
    great shots & storyclap.gif
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2006
    Good set, its nice when the wildlife comes to you for a change. :D
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2006
    Nice series! Neat for you to see it up so close! Thanks for sharing. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2006
    loved them iloveyou.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2006
    Nice series. If only wildlife would come to my front door. :D
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited December 28, 2006
    Nice bucks shots, Thwack! thumb.gif

Ok, so these are up in the Sierras. I didn't think they had mule deer in San Jose. :giggle

Regards.
    -joel
  • Options
    ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2006
    Thanks for the kind words everybody! Glad you enjoyed the pics. It was quite a treat to have them mowing my yard for me.

Kdog - yep, up near Groveland along Hwy 120 about 25 miles away from Yosemite's northwest entrance. Another 24 miles from that entrance is Yosemite's valley floor if I recall the numbers properly.

I'm hoping to get out there this weekend and see how much of yesterday's snow is still intact.