cumulative stats

trinkotrinko Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited October 1, 2007 in SmugMug Support
is there anyway to see the total number of times an image has been viewed?

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2006
    Hi, yes - for the current month:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/acctreport
  • trinkotrinko Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited December 28, 2006
    not quite
    thanks! however what i wanted was the cumulative count since the picture had been posted. i haven't been paying any attention to this site for awhile and all of a sudden i've found that some of my jellyfish shots seem popular, one has been viewed almost 1000 times this month. i was wondering if this is a new thing or if they've been getting this type of attention for awhile.
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, yes - for the current month:
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/acctreport
    edited December 30, 2006
    trinko wrote:
    thanks! however what i wanted was the cumulative count since the picture had been posted. i haven't been paying any attention to this site for awhile and all of a sudden i've found that some of my jellyfish shots seem popular, one has been viewed almost 1000 times this month. i was wondering if this is a new thing or if they've been getting this type of attention for awhile.
    Best is to keep track on a monthly basis :) BTW, if you are a power or pro user, you can have even better/more statistics, free, from Statcounter and Google. Click "How TO" on the top of Dgrin screen, and then go to the bottom of the next page.
    edited December 30, 2006
    another question
    ok i don't make any money off of the site so i'd hate to spring for the $60/year pro version. is there any other, probably more labor intensive, way to get an idea of who's looking at my pics? i'm curious because at PBase i get about 3k hits/month while here i get about 10k on fewer photos and with no attempt by me to advertize, ie post links at DPReview etc. thanks for any info.
    Andy wrote:
    Best is to keep track on a monthly basis :) BTW, if you are a power or pro user, you can have even better/more statistics, free, from Statcounter and Google. Click "How TO" on the top of Dgrin screen, and then go to the bottom of the next page.
    edited December 30, 2006
    trinko wrote:
    ok i don't make any money off of the site so i'd hate to spring for the $60/year pro version. is there any other, probably more labor intensive, way to get an idea of who's looking at my pics? i'm curious because at PBase i get about 3k hits/month while here i get about 10k on fewer photos and with no attempt by me to advertize, ie post links at DPReview etc. thanks for any info.
    Statcounter and G.A. are free....
    edited December 30, 2006
    my dumb?
    based on the nice tutorial you have on this site it appears to me that to use Google Analytics i have to be able to customize the page HTML. but when i go to the control panel the customize option isn't available--which i assume is because i'm not a pro member--so i can't put the GA script into my pages HTML. hence i can't use GA. hopefully i'm missing something.

thanks for all your help by the way.
    Andy wrote:
    Statcounter and G.A. are free....
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2006
    trinko wrote:
    based on the nice tutorial you have on this site it appears to me that to use Google Analytics i have to be able to customize the page HTML. but when i go to the control panel the customize option isn't available--which i assume is because i'm not a pro member--so i can't put the GA script into my pages HTML. hence i can't use GA. hopefully i'm missing something.

thanks for all your help by the way.
    Power uses also can add it, only standard can not.
    Al
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited December 30, 2006
    thanks
    i forgot that power user was cheaper than pro. i meant to say power users.
    Allen wrote:
    Power uses also can add it, only standard can not.
    Al
  • synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2007
    Plain text stats?
    Would it be possible to get detailed stats by image title? I find going through the visual stats page not all that helpful as I need to drill down and scroll quite a bit to see what has been looked at large or medium.

I don't mind drilling down several layers to get to visual information, and would be perfectly happy to have several more layers of categories and sub-categories in the smugmug interface. I know most of the folks who look at my images have no problem with that either. True, at some point it's too much. But three layers is not quite enough.

But two layers of intensly visual information -- graphs, is too much. To do much with this information, I need to be looking at it with paper and pencil to write down things. A computer system shouldn't require you to take notes like that. I'd much prefer a spreadsheet type of information layout where I can download it (comma delmited), import into a spreadhseet or database and sort and play with. Something like this:

AlbumID | picture name | small hits | med hits | large hits | orig hits | plus Fav hits | neg Fav hits...

For Pro also Sales hits

With choice of cumulative or by month.

I want to use such statistics to decide which images to make prints of for a show. In my art gallery, for example, some images seem to get a lot of hits over time, but I don't really know which has gotten the most.

This should be a relatively easy thing to extract from the database. I do this kind of query daily at work and would be more than happy to help work on this. Perhaps such detailed accounting of picture hits would be only appropriate for pro users.

Stat counter and google are helpful for seeing where hits are coming from, but not for the kind of tracking I'm talking about here. Maybe if I wanted to pay for the higher level, but even then it only gives me pages, not image names.

DeviantArt.com provides cumulative stats, sliced and diced several ways, but not suitable for downloading and working with.

Perhaps including cumulative totals within the monthly graphics would be nice, say two colors of bars. But for the individual gallery, scrolling through to determine which image has had the most large hits, for example, is quite an eye exercise, since here we don't have graphs we have numbers we have to pick out.

Anyway, great site,

Brandon Smith
    http://synature.smugmug.com
    Brandon Smith
    http://redwoodtwig.com
    Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.
  • synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2007
    Cumulative stats, again
    I have both statcounter and google analytics and I go to the stats page fairly often. But none of them give me what I want, which is how many times since I put it up has a picture had a medium or large view. If I could afford the monthly charges to get a big enough log, I could do more, but would still be in the position of having to translate numbers to the names of the galleries or the names of the images.

Am I the only one who finds the smugmug stats display difficult to work with? I can't sort it by gallery title, nor by date gallery went up, nor by number of hits a gallery had. Due to the number of galleries, I have quite a bit of scrolling to do every time I hit it, and then, while it's nice to be able to drill down to the gallery level, once again I have a graphic display to wade through. Deviantart.com also uses a graphic display, but it is much easier to work with and it can be sliced and diced by favorites ( photo ranking on smugmug), commented ones, and large views (they don't have medium views), as well as by time.

I've requested this on here before, but I see it got no replies. The reason I'm posting again is because here it is the first of the month and I forgot to spend the hours necessary to find out what I wanted about last month's image views. Now that information is gone.

I'm not asking that smugmug duplicate the tracking stuff that statcounter does, just that it give me something I can view easily, perhaps download into a spreadsheet, that shows cumulative views by picture/gallery. Monthly details would be great, but just knowing that of a dozen images in gallery x, images 3 and 7 were selected for large viewing 200 times more often than the others would be really useful in terms of selecting images for printing and framing. The vast majority of my images simply have the filename as the caption, but the ones I really want to track have names, and those names would be what I'd want to see. Something simple, like

Gallery name (smugmug number), Image caption (smugmug number), Date first Uploaded (last date changed), #large and medium views this month, #large and medium views since upload, #purchases, $gross or net

It would also be nice if images selected by smugmug for external advertising were marked in someway in such a stats summery. I'm kinda flattered that one of mine was, as I found out through statcounter.

thanks,
    Brandon Smith
    http://synature.smugmug.com
    Brandon Smith
    http://redwoodtwig.com
    Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.