Options

Save! Indoor soccer shot.

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited January 6, 2005 in Sports
I spend a lot of time shooting and processing and posting kid soccer shots. I may be obsessed! (the jury is still out on that one :rofl )

So here is my favorite shot(s) from the set I processed today - my oldest boys team. He is the keeper, and I took up photography to keep from having an anuerism watching him play (he plays at a very elite level).
13775491-M.jpg

I also bought the 20d so that I could take indoor photos - nothing else can do the job speed and noise-wise. Anyway, I love the expression on the player in the white jersey! Doh!
The boys have played 5 games in the last 3 weeks, of which 3 have been blowouts for us and very boring! Next week is game of the year, so be prepared!

ann

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited January 6, 2005
    Hi Ann!

Very nice series.

Are you shooting in burst mode? I like how you've captured the shot-on-goal,
    the save and the reaction to the save in this series.

Out of curiosity, how have you set up focus--center point, all or other? Are
    you shooting in servo or one shot?

Sorry for the questions but I'm always curious how others set up for the sports
    shots.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2005
    Wow, excellent color, those shots look good.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited January 6, 2005
    Nice sequence Ann!!
    Laughing.gif....So, instead, you're going to have your anyerism while holding your 20D huh? J/K Ann, I know what you mean. I wish I had 3 eyes. One to shoot with and 2 to watch the game with.

Nice save by your son and you captured it very well clap.gifclap.gif The 85mm F1.8? I am really liking this lens for indoor sports

I always wondered which group sports pics should be posted to. Now I know rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for sharing and you're gettin really good at this mwink.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2005
    excellent, ann :D

and, good practice for the "triptych" challenge, which starts on monday jan 10th deal.gif
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    Hi Ann!

Very nice series.

Are you shooting in burst mode? I like how you've captured the shot-on-goal,
    the save and the reaction to the save in this series.

Out of curiosity, how have you set up focus--center point, all or other? Are
    you shooting in servo or one shot?

Sorry for the questions but I'm always curious how others set up for the sports
    shots.

Ian
    Hi Ian - Thanks!
    My camera settings are:
    20d, AI SERVO, Center point focus, set for burst (multishot)
    M with shutter at 1/400 and apeture at f2.2, ISO 1600
    Custom Function 4 - 03. This focuses with the star button, but sets exposure (ev or whatever it is called) when you hit the shutter. The lights in this place are metal halide, and they cycle. Not using 4 - 03 means that in a burst, exposure is set on your first shot - if the lights cycle as you are shooting a burst, you get some really weird exposure problems across the series.

As well, for Christmas this year my husband gave me grey cards and a monopod. (Not quite the blue tiffany box of bling that Andys wife got!rolleyes1.gif )This is my first set of pics using custom white balance - boy what a difference that makes! I haven't processed any that I shot with the monopod yet - hoping for a significant decrease in number of shots lost to camera shake. I need to get me a tilt thingy for the monopod still - lots of goofy angles in my shots! As well, the monopods restrictions have me concentrating more on play in the center of the field and less along the boards - do not know how that will pan out either.

Thanks for commenting. Hope I've answered your questions. Feel free to ask more.

ann
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2005
    Thank You
    ann
    wxwax wrote:
    Wow, excellent color, those shots look good.
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2005
    Laughing.gif....So, instead, you're going to have your anyerism while holding your 20D huh? J/K Ann, I know what you mean. I wish I had 3 eyes. One to shoot with and 2 to watch the game with.

Nice save by your son and you captured it very well clap.gifclap.gif The 85mm F1.8? I am really liking this lens for indoor sports

I always wondered which group sports pics should be posted to. Now I know rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for sharing and you're gettin really good at this mwink.gif

Steve
    Hey Steve
    Well, if I am going to have an anuerism, should be while doing something I love, shouldn't it? Funny, I had my eyes checked yesterday, and my camera eye is okay but I am getting even more shortsighted in my left eye - lack of exercise?

Yes, the 85 mm f1.8 from the far end of the field - hence the need to make the collage! I still wish for a fast (f2) zoom!

I just took a flyer on where to put this pic - seemed about the best choice. Thanks, Steve. Appreciate the comments. beer.gif

ann
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2005
    andy wrote:
    excellent, ann :D

and, good practice for the "triptych" challenge, which starts on monday jan 10th deal.gif
    Thank you Andy - hmmmmm, triptych challenge, eh?

ann
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Thanks for commenting. Hope I've answered your questions. Feel free to ask more.

Which lens?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2005
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited January 6, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hi Ian - Thanks!
    My camera settings are:
    20d, AI SERVO, Center point focus, set for burst (multishot)
    M with shutter at 1/400 and apeture at f2.2, ISO 1600
    Custom Function 4 - 03. This focuses with the star button, but sets exposure (ev or whatever it is called) when you hit the shutter. The lights in this place are metal halide, and they cycle. Not using 4 - 03 means that in a burst, exposure is set on your first shot - if the lights cycle as you are shooting a burst, you get some really weird exposure problems across the series.

As well, for Christmas this year my husband gave me grey cards and a monopod. (Not quite the blue tiffany box of bling that Andys wife got!rolleyes1.gif )This is my first set of pics using custom white balance - boy what a difference that makes! I haven't processed any that I shot with the monopod yet - hoping for a significant decrease in number of shots lost to camera shake. I need to get me a tilt thingy for the monopod still - lots of goofy angles in my shots! As well, the monopods restrictions have me concentrating more on play in the center of the field and less along the boards - do not know how that will pan out either.

ann
    Thanks for the reply Ann!

I've got my focus set such that "*" is center-point and "X" is all--or maybe it's the
    other way-round (I just switched it over the other day). I'm still getting used to
    it but in general, I like the ability to switch quickly between focus modes easily
    for any shot.

Bogen/Manfrotto has a ball head that should fit the bill. You can leave loose
    enough to rotate but still have the support the monopod offers.

Keep up the good work!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?