Weebles wobble - but it still works.

Zoom RaiderZoom Raider Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
edited December 30, 2006 in Cameras
I've noticed for some time now that my flash (SB600) wobbles quite a bit when it's attached to the camera's flash mount.
Is this normal - is it gonna stop making connection and quit flashing? I was thinking that it's suppose to be very sturdy and
not be wobbly at all. Hopefully I'm wrong and it's normal for this to happen. And no, I've never bumped it against anything. :)

Thanks!
http://mostamazingprophecies.com

My Gear
Camera: Nikon D50
Lens: Sigma 18-50mm F3.5-5.6 DC
Flash: Nikon SB600 SpeedLight
Vertical Powergrip: Opteka Platinum Series
Flash Diffuser: Lightsphere II (Clear)

Teleconverter: Quantaray 2x
Lens Filters: 2 SunPak UV 58mm

Card: Lexar Platinum II 512mb/60x
Bag: Canon 200DG

Printer: Canon PIXMA iP6700D

Fisher-Advent Audio

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2006
    Something is loose that shouldn't be. Obviously it either the hotshoe on your camera or the hotshoe foot on your flash is not connected/attached as tightly as it should be. That connection should be, at least in my experience, tight and without the weeble wobble.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 29, 2006
    When you wobble it, do you feel metal? If so, you're hotshoe tabs are bent. strange that they would be bent "out", but who knows, it'd make more sense if they were bent "in" thereby making it hard to get the flash foot to slide in.

If the hotshoe connection is sturdy (the metal parts) then I'd say you have a wobbly flash and should return/exchange it.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2006
    I've noticed for some time now that my flash (SB600) wobbles quite a bit when it's attached to the camera's flash mount.
    Is this normal - is it gonna stop making connection and quit flashing? I was thinking that it's suppose to be very sturdy and
    not be wobbly at all. Hopefully I'm wrong and it's normal for this to happen. And no, I've never bumped it against anything. :)

Thanks!

I'm going to go with the obvious.....are you tightening it down once you put it on the camera? You just never know, so I had to ask.....:D
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 29, 2006
    Good point Jeffro lol3.gif (On a Nikon SB, it's a little lever, just flick it)
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Zoom RaiderZoom Raider Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    When you wobble it, do you feel metal? If so, you're hotshoe tabs are bent. strange that they would be bent "out", but who knows, it'd make more sense if they were bent "in" thereby making it hard to get the flash foot to slide in.

If the hotshoe connection is sturdy (the metal parts) then I'd say you have a wobbly flash and should return/exchange it.
    Nah, I don't feel any metal and nothing looks bent. The slide-rails on the camera don't look bent in nor out,
    and the metal part on the flash looks just as new as the camera's. I looked at a brand new D200/SB800 set up
    at the store that was in the display window - it wobbles, too. So it should be a normal thing. I dunno.ne_nau.gif

My Gear

Fisher-Advent Audio
  • Zoom RaiderZoom Raider Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    I'm going to go with the obvious.....are you tightening it down once you put it on the camera? You just never know, so I had to ask.....:D
    Yeah, it still wobbles when it's tightened. Wobbles more of course if it's not.

My Gear

Fisher-Advent Audio
  • kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2006
    Mine does the same thing - SB600 on D200. It's not a BIG wobble...but it's not a very very tightly held down connection either. It's more of a fron to back movement than side to side. I've never had any problem with it and I can't say that I ever will. It works fine. Pretty sure it did the same thing on the D70 I had before the D200. No biggie...