Send to Smugmug question

CleeFeltyCleeFelty Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
edited December 31, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I recently bought my first dSLR (Nikon D50). I'm shooting JPEG+Fine. The files are much larger than my p&s, of course. I'm in the process of outlining my new work flow and wanted to ask about "Send to Smugmug".

I am resizing to 65% "general" photos to help keep the folder size being uploaded to speed upload time (I'm leaving the "money" shots in their large jpeg edited glory). I have multiple folders to upload and using the standard drag&drop universal uploader, my 200MB+ folders are taking hours to upload (okay, I'm impatient). Plus, unless I'm totally misunderstanding, I can only upload to one gallery at a time?

What I want to do is leave the computer on overnight and have the upload setup in a way that when one upload is done, the next can begin, so I am maximizing my "downtime" for uploads and my awake time for viewing and editing my site.

Can I "Send to Smugmug" multiple files similtaneously? I have Googled but cannot find and answer.

Any feedback from my fellow Smugmugger's?

Comments

• det1racdet1rac Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited December 31, 2006
    What I have done with "send to smugmug" is that I opened several sends simultaneously. So for every "different gallery" I opened a new "send to smugmug" session. That’s really the only way.

And if you are typically only getting 45KB upload (368kb) then its always going to take some time. It would take a 368kb upload about 76 minutes for 200MB of data. Or 45KB / 204800KB (200MB) / 60 seconds = 76 minutes.

I fortunately get 65KB (512kb) upload. You might want to see if your ISP offers more bandwidth. I have seen new Fiber installs by Verizon giving 2mb upload (256KB upload vs 45KB)

If the many open copies of the same program are eating up memory then you can take a look @ star*explorer. "send to smugmug" is typically eating 100MB of ram each open session.

bob
    Thanks, Robert
    http://www.RobertCain.info
    Q9300 8GB DDR3
    ATI 4850, 750GB Local drive, 4TB of NAS storage
    Bibble Pro 4.0, PhotoMatrix, PTGui
    Pentax K20D, 16-50mm f2.8, LensBaby 3G, 12-24mm f4, 50mm f.14
  • CleeFeltyCleeFelty Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited December 31, 2006
    Thank you Robert for your response. I tried out the "Send to Smugmug" and it worked very well for the multiple gallery upload at the same time.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

det1rac wrote:
    What I have done with "send to smugmug" is that I opened several sends simultaneously. So for every "different gallery" I opened a new "send to smugmug" session. That’s really the only way.

And if you are typically only getting 45KB upload (368kb) then its always going to take some time. It would take a 368kb upload about 76 minutes for 200MB of data. Or 45KB / 204800KB (200MB) / 60 seconds = 76 minutes.

I fortunately get 65KB (512kb) upload. You might want to see if your ISP offers more bandwidth. I have seen new Fiber installs by Verizon giving 2mb upload (256KB upload vs 45KB)

If the many open copies of the same program are eating up memory then you can take a look @ star*explorer. "send to smugmug" is typically eating 100MB of ram each open session.

bob