Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas, USVI

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited January 9, 2005 in Landscapes
I didn't exactly want to be stuck there on my way home on Sunday evening, but air travel being what it is, there I was. So I took my family to a resturant on a hill overlooking this cruise ship destination city and got this shot.

13808937-L.jpg
If not now, when?

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited January 6, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    I didn't exactly want to be stuck there on my way home on Sunday evening, but air travel being what it is, there I was. So I took my family to a resturant on a hill overlooking this cruise ship destination city and got this shot.

13808937-S.jpg

Now think this through, John :D:D:D You're stuck in the Virgin Islands and most of us are here in the States in the cold rain and snow and you're the one who is unhappy ??? What's wrong with this picture??? Nice scenic of Charlotte Harbor.

I think there may still be rooms in the Yosemite shoot out in May if you are interested. PM Andy quick if you are. thumb.gif You really ought to join us - Read about it in the News & Events section.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Now think this through, John :D:D:D You're stuck in the Virgin Islands and most of us are here in the States in the cold rain and snow and you're the one who is unhappy ??? What's wrong with this picture??? Nice scenic of Charlotte Harbor.
    Well, it would have been OK except that:
    1. There were 11 of us: my immediate family, my wife's father and mother, her brother and sister-in-law, and 2 teenage cousins.
    2. We had no place to stay. All the hotel rooms in town were taken.
    3. Brother-in-law had crucial meeting next am in Boston.
    4. Father-in-law seeemed to be dying of what turned out to be bronchitis but at the time seemed like it might be lung cancer or TB.
    5. I spent the morning mountain biking what I believe to be the world's steepest paved roads and wanted to be asleep very badly.
    6. I finally did get home at 4am instead of 7pm.
    7. Complain, complain, complain
    All in all, I don't think you can have adventures without mishaps, but I reserve my right to complain.
    If not now, when?
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2005
    Nice way to take advantage of an opportunity. nod.gif From where were you travelling?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Nice way to take advantage of an opportunity. nod.gif From where were you travelling?
    St John -> Boston.

St. John is an amazing place. More than 1/2 US National Park. Can't say the same of St. Thomas.
    If not now, when?
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2005
    Was just in Charlotte Amalie two weeks ago for a quick overnight stop. Took these from my balcony.

mitch
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2005
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2005
    Mitchell wrote:
    another one
    Oh, Good goddess of weather and time and place.........

It has been unseasonably warm here in the southeast, so I am not going to complain too much. But all those photos of the same exotic beautiful warm place! Too, too much!

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited January 8, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Well, it would have been OK except that:
    1. There were 11 of us: my immediate family, my wife's father and mother, her brother and sister-in-law, and 2 teenage cousins.
    2. We had no place to stay. All the hotel rooms in town were taken.
    3. Brother-in-law had crucial meeting next am in Boston.
    4. Father-in-law seeemed to be dying of what turned out to be bronchitis but at the time seemed like it might be lung cancer or TB.
    5. I spent the morning mountain biking what I believe to be the world's steepest paved roads and wanted to be asleep very badly.
    6. I finally did get home at 4am instead of 7pm.
    7. Complain, complain, complain
    All in all, I don't think you can have adventures without mishaps, but I reserve my right to complain.

Nothing worse than unexpected delays when you are travelling, I agree.

Ask me how my wife and I ended up spending a week in a monastery in seperate rooms on Beaver Island some time. No room at the the Inn and No Way off the Island, either.

Feel free to complain, I was just jerkin' your chain. :D

edited January 8, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Ask me how my wife and I ended up spending a week in a monastery in seperate rooms on Beaver Island
    Oh, the irony! rolleyes1.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited January 8, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Oh, the irony! rolleyes1.gif

It is a funny story Sid. Beaver Island is the largest island in the northern end of Lake Michigan. It is about 20 miles long and maybe 30 miles off shore.

My wife made reservations 6 month in advance with a B&B on the island. We got confirmation in hand, and in June drove to Charlevoix where the car ferry is harbored that runs to the island. We debarked the car ferry on the island and drove to the B&B and checked in and spent the night.

The next day the owner's of the B&B explained to us that the ownership of the B&B had changed in March and then asked us where we were spending the next night. Apparently the reservations were not transferred correctly with changing ownership! My wife said we are booked here all week. The B&B owners said "We only show a reservation for one night, NOT 5 nights!" This conversation occurred in the afternoon after the ferry had already returned to the mainland. Indeed, to book passage on the ferry for a vehicle (we had driven up with bicycles in our pickup truck) we could not depart until 4 days later, BUT there was not another commercial room to be found on the island AT ALL. Summer Season in Michigan you understand! If you don't have reservations in advance along the Michigan seashore they'll laugh at you and send you to the hardware store to purchase a tent. And they are SERIOUS too!!
    SO we ended up as compassionate tourists at the Christian Brothers Monastery for 4 nights in seperate bedrooms. Sat on the veranda each afternoon and drank wine with the vacationing priests. It was an interesting experience and ended up being a funny story. We met some lovely priests and heard the funniest Catholic jokes I ever heard. But I can't tell any of them here.

So that is how we ended up in seperate rooms in a monastery on Beaver Island.

edited January 9, 2005
    Great story, PF! I hope absence made the heart grow fonder.
    Sid.