Options

Getting Started? Tax Info? Etc.

jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
edited December 29, 2006 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Not sure if this or Mind Your Business is the right forum, but I chose the Pro Sales forum for the reason that it pertains to SmugMug. I am looking into setting up a pro account to start attempting to sell prints and was wondering about the tax information.

I talked it over with my father and he had told me that I would probably recieve a 1099 from SmugMug, would have to keep track of expenses and income and possible file "Section C" at the end of the year? Accounting / Tax stuff really goes right over my head, so any help with figuring it all out would be appreciated. I have been looking over this forum and the FAQs but couldn't really find anything.

This is assuming I do need to file all the income and what-not in taxes...

Thanks!
-John

Comments

• Options
    BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 29, 2006
    jsedlak wrote:
    Not sure if this or Mind Your Business is the right forum, but I chose the Pro Sales forum for the reason that it pertains to SmugMug. I am looking into setting up a pro account to start attempting to sell prints and was wondering about the tax information.

I talked it over with my father and he had told me that I would probably recieve a 1099 from SmugMug, would have to keep track of expenses and income and possible file "Section C" at the end of the year? Accounting / Tax stuff really goes right over my head, so any help with figuring it all out would be appreciated. I have been looking over this forum and the FAQs but couldn't really find anything.

This is assuming I do need to file all the income and what-not in taxes...

Thanks!
    -John
    Hi John :)

You are correct. You would need to pay taxes on any income you make with SmugMug. We do not withhold any taxes whatsoever. We report all income to the IRS.

You need to fill out a W-9 form and send it to us. Payments are made to you depending on the amount of money you have in your account.

Further information and a link to a W-9 form can be found here:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/reporting

Let us know if you need anything further.
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign