Grandma and Grandpa Great

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited January 2, 2007 in People
I've looked at this photo too long and I'm going cross - eyed! I'm looking for feedback regarding skin tones and contrast. Sometimes I think it's too pink and sometimes I think it's just right. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

Elaine
109850057-L-2.jpg
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• ScooterScooter Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited December 29, 2006
    Hi Elaine,
    The color looks great on this monitor. I love the shot, but I might crop out grandpa's hand. It throws off the balance a bit. :):

Scott
  • GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2006
    Color looks fine but I agree with the crop and it needed a tad of sharpening.

Hope you don't mind.....I took the liberty.ne_nau.gif
    This is what I did with the shot.....Crop and tad of USM after.

119743493-L.jpg
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2006
    Skin Tones look great here on both monitors, one's an LCD and the other is an old CRT. Try cropping a little more perhaps? Like this?
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 30, 2006
    I think it's too sharp now-

starting to see the little lines or halos at edges or however it's described-

the color looks fine on my monitor also-

what struck me about the photo, and please forgive me if I offend, but it looks like gramps still has the hots for grandma!-
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2006
    Thanks for the feedback, folks! I'm glad to hear the color looks good. It could probably use some sharpening, but I agree with gefillmore that it's a bit too much now. I kinda like the softer edges for this one. And even though I especially like Salazar's crop, and see the point of it being out of balance by keeping Grandpa's hand there, to me the hand is kinda important.

"what struck me about the photo, and please forgive me if I offend, but it looks like gramps still has the hots for grandma!-"

Had to chuckle about that! And I don't doubt your're right! mwink.gif Nine children and about 65+ years of marriage and they still look adorable and in love.

I'm getting ready to put together a photo book (using Blurb) of our family reunion from this summer, where these two were the honorees. This was my best shot of them together, so I wanted to make sure it looked right. Thanks!

Elaine
    Elaine

• salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2006
    You're right you know, his hand needs to be there.

I tried cropping again different ways and decided what you have already is best of all. Softer is kinder to them as well. I hope the photo book turns out well, but I'm sure it will.
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
  • mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2007
    I like the original. I think the USM'd version was a bit too oversharpened, too much of a halo effect for me.

I would wonder, though, if Grandpa could take off his glasses. It took me a bit to realize he was looking at the camera...
    edited January 1, 2007
    mmroden wrote:
    I like the original. I think the USM'd version was a bit too oversharpened, too much of a halo effect for me.

I would wonder, though, if Grandpa could take off his glasses. It took me a bit to realize he was looking at the camera...

I agree about the USM!

Unfortunately, I didn't realize the glasses glare was an issue until later. They live in Idaho and I live in Oregon, so a reshoot any time soon isn't possible. I may get to see them next summer and I'll try again.
    Thanks for the comments!

Elaine
    Elaine

edited January 1, 2007
    salazar wrote:
    You're right you know, his hand needs to be there.

I tried cropping again different ways and decided what you have already is best of all. Softer is kinder to them as well. I hope the photo book turns out well, but I'm sure it will.

Thank you very much!!

Elaine
    Elaine

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2007
    I think this is a really neat photo Elaine, just as it is! Great skin tones and what a cute couple they make! :D
  • DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007