Industrial lights - part 2, for C&C

Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
edited January 2, 2007 in People
OK, now I have two halogen lights with 2 heads each giving me total of 800W. You'd think that is a lot but actually it gives very little light in the garden.

The setup for both photos was very similar. A top down lights on the right and lower lights on the left (photographers view). The lights are still bare (not diffused).

So what do you think?

Michelle:
Michelle-in-black-IMG_20061230_5636.jpg

Sebastian:
Sebastian-on-garden-steps-IMG_20061230_5630.jpg

Comments

• salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2006
    I still prefer the earlier shot of Michelle "Industrial Light" but the shot of Sebastian is fantastic! My wife, Anne, says you should title it "Peter Pan"

A suggestion: There is an area between his legs where his shorts are lit much brighter. Can you do somthing to bring that area down some, I find it a bit distractin, not his shirt or his hands, just this small part of the shorts?

Great Shot!
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2006
    Thank you.

I have darkened his pants and adjusted the colour balance to be less yellow.

Michelle's photo was flat by design just to see if I could place the lights to create almost shadow less situation.

I'm still to get some diffusing panels for more pleasant lighting.

salazar wrote:
    I still prefer the earlier shot of Michelle "Industrial Light" but the shot of Sebastian is fantastic! My wife, Anne, says you should title it "Peter Pan"

A suggestion: There is an area between his legs where his shorts are lit much brighter. Can you do somthing to bring that area down some, I find it a bit distractin, not his shirt or his hands, just this small part of the shorts?

Great Shot!
  • El KiwiEl Kiwi Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2006
    salazar wrote:
    I still prefer the earlier shot of Michelle "Industrial Light" but the shot of Sebastian is fantastic!

I agree with both comments, lovely capture of Sebastian. My only comment would be that it seems slightly oversaturated to me, I don't know if this is the lighting or the post-processing. But a minor quibble - great shot!
    Constructive criticism always welcome!
    "Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
    edited January 1, 2007
    I'm going to have another look at this one. This is RAW capture and I should find a beter way to extract a less colour confused image.

El Kiwi wrote:
    I agree with both comments, lovely capture of Sebastian. My only comment would be that it seems slightly oversaturated to me, I don't know if this is the lighting or the post-processing. But a minor quibble - great shot!
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2007
    ted, these are both good pictures, and i like the setting, but it's inappropriate for a child portrait.

i like your use of the light source. i think you should try diffusing the light, perhaps aiming it at a wall behind you or the ceiling.

i've worked with those kind of lights before. it can be fun, but i had trouble with the harsh shadows that they create.

i would really like to see more work using that same light source.
    edited January 2, 2007
    This is a puzzling statement. The steps in our own garden where my kids actually spend time are inappropriate for their portrait?

binghott wrote:
    ted, these are both good pictures, and i like the setting, but it's inappropriate for a child portrait.

i like your use of the light source. i think you should try diffusing the light, perhaps aiming it at a wall behind you or the ceiling.

i've worked with those kind of lights before. it can be fun, but i had trouble with the harsh shadows that they create.

i would really like to see more work using that same light source.
  • salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    Ted, did you realise the portrait of Sebastian is no longer there? Happy New Year All!
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    This is a puzzling statement. The steps in our own garden where my kids actually spend time are inappropriate for their portrait?

i still see the steps as a dark and dirty setting that would be better suited for a hot topic catalog shoot, not your very cute kids. i would put the kids in a brighter, more colorful setting.
    edited January 2, 2007
    Happy New Year.

Thanks for pointing this out. The images are actually there but IE cannot read them. This is happening to me more and more often recently. It is a bug either with IE or Photoshop. One of them is not playing NICE with jpeg format.

I use FIrefox, which has no issue with it so it could be IE. Anyway I have saved the image again and it shows now in both browsers.
    salazar wrote:
    Ted, did you realise the portrait of Sebastian is no longer there? Happy New Year All!
    edited January 2, 2007
    I see what you mean . Ours is not a typical backyard as it is a steep hill, raising 1m in every 3 so stairs feature a lot. We do not see them as dark and dirty, more as gateways to mystery. This may become more evident in time if/when I shoot few more night photos in the garden.
    binghott wrote:
    i still see the steps as a dark and dirty setting that would be better suited for a hot topic catalog shoot, not your very cute kids. i would put the kids in a brighter, more colorful setting.
  • TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    binghott wrote:

Piffle. It brings me back to some of the days of my youth, playing out in the yard until well past dark, probably getting into loads of innocent mischeif. Its not your typical kids stuff, but that's why (IMO) it works.
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L