Granddad's pocket watch

DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
edited January 4, 2007 in Holy Macro
Well, actually, it's my pocketwatch now, but it belonged to my grandfather (Ladislav) and he was quite fond of it. I have some posts going on other forums trying to find out more information about it, so far without much luck, but in the process, I've managed to take some shots of it that I'm rather proud of. Just used my 50/1.8 with some closeup diopters on the front and made a little light tent to diffuse my remote SB800. You can watch my technique improve over the course of a couple days - I didn't have the nerve to open the case until today.

Doxa Pocketwatch (guessing 1940's vintage)

119017165-M.jpg

119017178-M.jpg

119817838-M.jpg

119817850-M.jpg

(sorry, the fingers were unavoidable in some detail cases)
119817857-M.jpg

119817866-M.jpg

119817898-M.jpg

There's a fine hand-engraving on the case cover that is so small that you can only see it at a certain angle (very hard to capture)

119817994-M.jpg

I'm really enjoying it. Works great, sounds great - very prominent mechanical tick that modern clocks/watches just don't have. I have it hanging on the wall as a mini clock above my desk. Thanks granddad.
Erik
moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2006
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2006
    Beautiful.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited December 30, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Something I'm really learning from researching Doxa and from other forums is what you bring up here: there's almost this dual nature to the Doxa company. These days, many people have heard of them for their modern dive watches (very good, btw). But Doxa started out because the founder was a pocketwatch apprentice, and a good one at that. The people on Doxa's own watch forum know almost nothing about the old pocketwatches.

Anyway.

Thanks guys. :D
    Erik

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2006
    Beautiful !! loved it very cool photos
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited December 31, 2006
    Beautiful !! loved it very cool photos
    Thanks Awais - they would be even cooler if I could capture the sound! lol3.gif
    Erik

• wally5656wally5656 Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2006
    Awesome details you have captured. Great technique and a great and sentimental subject.
    edited December 31, 2006
    wally5656 wrote:
    Awesome details you have captured. Great technique and a great and sentimental subject.
    Thanks wally! took some learning, but I'm also pretty happy with the detail I captured using a non-macro lens in the end.
    Erik

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Well, actually, it's my pocketwatch now, but it belonged to my grandfather (Ladislav) and he was quite fond of it. I have some posts going on other forums trying to find out more information about it, so far without much luck, but in the process, I've managed to take some shots of it that I'm rather proud of. Just used my 50/1.8 with some closeup diopters on the front and made a little light tent to diffuse my remote SB800. You can watch my technique improve over the course of a couple days - I didn't have the nerve to open the case until today.
    Doxa Pocketwatch (guessing 1940's vintage)
    (sorry, the fingers were unavoidable in some detail cases)
    There's a fine hand-engraving on the case cover that is so small that you can only see it at a certain angle (very hard to capture)
    I'm really enjoying it. Works great, sounds great - very prominent mechanical tick that modern clocks/watches just don't have. I have it hanging on the wall as a mini clock above my desk. Thanks granddad.

What a great keep-sake you have in memory of your Grandfather Doc :D
    Picked up the fine details really well in these shots, and the one's I like most are the ones that show the inner workings of the clock.
    Nicely done Doc thumb.gif ....... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited January 4, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Picked up the fine details really well in these shots, and the one's I like most are the ones that show the inner workings of the clock.
    Thanks Skip! I always get a kick out of seeing jewels used as structural components inside watches. Nevermind the tiny gear teeth.
    Erik