Options

possibilities for 81 (this was fun!)

urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
edited December 31, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
Visited the Eiteljorg Museum of Southwestern Art today and had this challenge in mind....any of these speak to you?

#1 "Calendar"
119907444-M.jpg

#2 "Interpretations"
119907301-M.jpg

#3 "Contemporary Art"
119906928-M.jpg

comments welcome and appreciated!

lynne
Canon 5D MkI
50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers

Comments

• Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2006
    Of the three, I like #2 best. You can make up a whole story about it. The first is too literal an approach to the challenge theme for my taste and is not very interesting photographically. The the last makes me think "what is it?" more than "what is going on?" BTW, what is it? :D

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2006
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Of the three, I like #2 best. You can make up a whole story about it. The first is too literal an approach to the challenge theme for my taste and is not very interesting photographically. The the last makes me think "what is it?" more than "what is going on?" BTW, what is it? :D

Virginia

really good feedback Virginia, thanks! I do agree about the first one, not very interesting outside of the challenge theme.

The last is a statue...it was untitled, looked like a man with a squash for a head to me! ne_nau.gif

Any suggestions that would make the 2nd more interesting?
    Canon 5D MkI
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 31, 2006
    Three interesting images.

1) This one nails it on the literal head. To me you've managed to capture "what's going on?" by capturing a person asking him or herself that very question as they peruse a calender. Well done, even if it was staged. The voting on these contests favors this type of interpretation heavily.

2) While the 3 women are clearly pondering what painting I'm not sure there is any confusion or ambiguity portrayed. Nice image but not in my eyes a strong contest entry.

3) This is my hands down favorite because it turns the tables and forces the viewer to ask "what's going on?". It's the one I'd enter, but I've given up on trying to win these things. My only worry here is a technical issue with the DOF and the focus point. It seems like the front hand is the focus point, which normally would be rather odd, but because there is no face it does leave you with a unconventional scenario. I think I'd like the DOF to be just a tad wider so that both the hands and the body are in focus. The lack of a face should in my opinion be highlighted and having it OOF hurts that.
  • Options
    edited December 31, 2006
    truth wrote:
    Three interesting images.

1) This one nails it on the literal head. To me you've managed to capture "what's going on?" by capturing a person asking him or herself that very question as they peruse a calender. Well done, even if it was staged. The voting on these contests favors this type of interpretation heavily.

2) While the 3 women are clearly pondering what painting I'm not sure there is any confusion or ambiguity portrayed. Nice image but not in my eyes a strong contest entry.

3) This is my hands down favorite because it turns the tables and forces the viewer to ask "what's going on?". It's the one I'd enter, but I've given up on trying to win these things. My only worry here is a technical issue with the DOF and the focus point. It seems like the front hand is the focus point, which normally would be rather odd, but because there is no face it does leave you with a unconventional scenario. I think I'd like the DOF to be just a tad wider so that both the hands and the body are in focus. The lack of a face should in my opinion be highlighted and having it OOF hurts that.
    wow, great feedback. Thanks for your appreciation of #1 although I am not sure its an interesting enough image.

I shall try my hand at re-shooting #3, the subject is growing on me and a tripod could allow me to correct the DOF.

thanks, and nice entry, btw...it's superb. good luck!

lynne
    Canon 5D MkI