Weird D2X Problem

UT ScottUT Scott Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
edited December 31, 2006 in Cameras
I just got a D2X about a month ago, I bought it from Cameta on ebay as a demo item. So far I love the camera, it's simply amazing to use. I took it on vacation for the last two weeks (Caribbean Cruise and a week in SC), every once in a while (not too often) i'll get a really weird picture. It looks like the picture is cut into three pieces and placed back in the wrong spot. Here is an example of what i'm talking about. Anyone know what could be causing this? Is it my camera? Is it my memory cards (Transcend 1 gig)? So far it really hasn't been a problem, only happens to snap shot pictures and not when I was shooting an event or anything. Anyone know?

120020819-M.jpg

Comments

• spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2006
    UT Scott wrote:
    I just got a D2X about a month ago, I bought it from Cameta on ebay as a demo item. So far I love the camera, it's simply amazing to use. I took it on vacation for the last two weeks (Caribbean Cruise and a week in SC), every once in a while (not too often) i'll get a really weird picture. It looks like the picture is cut into three pieces and placed back in the wrong spot. Here is an example of what i'm talking about. Anyone know what could be causing this? Is it my camera? Is it my memory cards (Transcend 1 gig)? So far it really hasn't been a problem, only happens to snap shot pictures and not when I was shooting an event or anything. Anyone know?

I had something similar happen when my d2x was new. I was told not to worry about, that it was probably my memory card. I have since seen it twice in probably 20,000 shots, so I'm feeling pretty good about that advice. And I continue to use the memory card.

It was recommended that I format my cards in my computer once in a while instead of always in my camera. It will map out bad sectors. Keep track of which card is doing it and if it repeats, it may be going bad and you'll want to keep it away from your critical jobs.

Here's my posting and the answers I received:
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1021&message=18659296

Best of luck with the new camera. It is an awesome tool! I love it.

-Trish
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2006
    I've never heard of that card type, but I'd ask Nikon what gives. If they say it is the card, I would pitch it and try a brand they recommend. I sure would hate to have that problem pop up when I really didn't want it to, or worse yet, zap all the pics on the card.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2006
    I haven't had any probs with my 8gb transcend....and i have taken over way 5000 shots with it....I have ran it in high humidity and also in very cold conditions where my camera batteries only lasted for 1 hour due to the coldness.....

It could be a bad card and if it is...DON'T PITCH IT....it has a warranty return it.....I have now ran the gamut of major card brands...(kingsington [BiG YUCK- camera would not even recognise it...salesman lied], San disk [no problems after I figured out they weren't San Disk and got the counterfeits replaced], Lexar {no problems that they -Lexar- did not take care of quickly} and transcend....{which I have never had a problem...yet...}but at some point it will crap out they all do.....

So far Lexar is the only one that actually did a trouble shoot from my computer while we talked {IM}....they asked if I had a reader handy and I did...put card in reader and saw the upload light on the reader blinking and nothing seemed to be happening and the tech person said it was a dead card...

BTW - Lexar and Transcend both told me never to format their cards in a computer as this can cause the camera not to recognise it......

I would send cameta that photo and see what they say as well as nikon...send it to Transcend also...might as well cover all the bases.

Good luck and please post what you find out.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website