Options

4 MB Memory Stick Pro...For What? Who?

nickphoto123nickphoto123 Registered Users Posts: 302 Major grins
edited January 10, 2005 in Cameras
Hello All,

As an F-828 user I read today of Sony's new 4GB MS Pro. ($900).

This item, IMHO, can only be directed at one 'thing': a Sony camera with enough megapixels to warrant a $900 expenditure.

I believe only Sony cameras use the MS/MS Pro.

I also believe only a Pro Photog would spend such money on memory.

Does the 4GB MS Pro indicate a real Pro Sony camera is going to be announced?

I don't thimk my reasoning is too faulty or reaching too far.

What do you think?

Regards, Nicholas

Comments

• Options
    ysr612ysr612 Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2005
    I think some people use the camaras for thier vid. 4 gigs would give almost an hour of vid.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited January 6, 2005
    Threefold reason Sony is pushing their cute little MS's into the higher realms of memory...

1. Digital tape will inevitably become yet another item only found in antique stores. Solid state video (mostly) cams will become the norm for the videofiles within a year or two. Sony is fairly set on their memory sticks for their own video products, which they have aplenty. 4GB sticks offer a bridge step for 1/2 hour+ shooting times.

2. Still cam files, as we all know, are becoming hunormous. 18-25MB will also become the norm as resolutions increase with Moore's Law. (Sony is also doing nothing to compress their RAW .SRF files - which is just plain nuts).

3. Because they can.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    PyogenesPyogenes Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2005
    $900 doesn't seem like that much if you consider how much the 1GB sticks cost when they first came out. Something like $750 iirc. I think I paid about $600 for my 1GB SanDisk which was stolen.....:cry Also, that's retail price. Give it a few weeks after initial release and you'll be finding it for much less from internet retailers.

As far as usage - that's just Sony keeping up with the Joneses. Everyone else has 4GB capacity, and after all the flak they got for being stuck at 128MB for a long time, it's not surprising to see them trying to keep up. Well that's me theory. :-)
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2005
    yet another reason not to buy anything that uses sticks.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson