blue hair

KarenHelenaKarenHelena Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited January 4, 2007 in Finishing School
deleted

Comments

• Duffy PrattDuffy Pratt Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2006
    Are you shooting JPG or RAW? I'm thinking that this effect might come from the way the camera is setting the JPG endpoints, and that you might not have the same problem shooting RAW. Of course, if you are shooting RAW, it would sink that theory in a hurry.

Duffy
  • StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2007
    Can you post a bigger image for us to look at / work on?
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited January 1, 2007
    Does this occur with a particular lens? Or several different lenses? What apertures? Does your lens exhibit chromatic aberration at the specific apertures you using in the shade?

This may not be lens related also. Have you tried setting your white balance for shade rather than AWB?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • KarenHelenaKarenHelena Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited January 1, 2007
    Are you shooting JPG or RAW? I'm thinking that this effect might come from the way the camera is setting the JPG endpoints, and that you might not have the same problem shooting RAW. Of course, if you are shooting RAW, it would sink that theory in a hurry.

Duffy

Yep- always shoot raw ~ thanks, nice to know possibilities about jpg endpoints though.
  • KarenHelenaKarenHelena Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited January 1, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Does this occur with a particular lens? Or several different lenses? What apertures? Does your lens exhibit chromatic aberration at the specific apertures you using in the shade?

This may not be lens related also. Have you tried setting your white balance for shade rather than AWB?

geez - you're right, I was on awb and since I always go for the shade for even lighting I should have preset the wb. dang! thanks for the reminder, i bet this could be a large part of the problem.
  • TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    I'm guessing that you were using a flash fill here, with your camera set to AWB, or flash white balancing.

I'm no expert on flash photography (prefer to work with natural light for photos) but what I'm guessing is that the blue cast is from the color of natural daylight fighting with the color of the flash, which is probably balanced more towards incandescent lighting.

Or, IOW, your flash is balanced towards incandescents, and your camera is white balancing based on that, so the natural sunlight (which has a much cooler color temperature) is caulsing the blue streaks.

I sometimes do this effect deliberately in my video day job. Sometimes an open window works nicely as a rim or fill light, and the blue cast works well, since all the video work I do is technology focused, and the blue sometimes works out well for the composition and effect. A bit unorthodoxy, but it works in a pinch.

At least in this example it looks like you could isolate those blue tones and push them around until you're happy with them in photoshop, since it looks like those are the only things in the frame.
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • BillyVerdenBillyVerden Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    Just a thought...
    I remember reading once about shade creating a bluish color cast.
    This article
    ... describes it about half way down the page. Overcast light and Open Shade.
    I think i also read about this in a Dan Margulis book.
    How our eyes automatically filter out the blue cast, whereas a camera sees it normally.