Exif Troubles

wallyjwallyj Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited January 12, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I want my gallery sorted by Date Taken. I've set DateTimeOriginal into the Exif of my Jpgs but it doesn't seem to be sorting correctly.

I can't verify what I'm doing since I also can not get the setting on my gallery to show the link to the Exif.

This is the Gallery I'm working on
june-family.smugmug.com/gallery/2297435

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited December 31, 2006
    wallyj wrote:
    I want my gallery sorted by Date Taken. I've set DateTimeOriginal into the Exif of my Jpgs but it doesn't seem to be sorting correctly.

I can't verify what I'm doing since I also can not get the setting on my gallery to show the link to the Exif.

This is the Gallery I'm working on
    june-family.smugmug.com/gallery/2297435

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi :)

Welcome to DGrin wave.gif

Double-check and make sure you have sort by date taken in your gallery settings. While in a gallery, underneath a photo, click on gallery tools, then customize gallery. Scroll down to look& feel and make sort by "date taken." See if that will arrange things the way you want.

Also, EXIF will not show up if all that is in there is the date. It must also have camera info, etc., for the EXIF to show.
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • wallyjwallyj Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited January 1, 2007
    Barb wrote:
    Hi :)

{Welcome to DGrin wave.gif

Double-check and make sure you have sort by date taken in your gallery settings. While in a gallery, underneath a photo, click on gallery tools, then customize gallery. Scroll down to look& feel and make sort by "date taken." See if that will arrange things the way you want.

Also, EXIF will not show up if all that is in there is the date. It must also have camera info, etc., for the EXIF to show.
    }

The above was/is all done. A dump of the exif data for each image in that gallery has over 40 items included. Which are the ones that trigger the inclusion of the Exif link for camera data?

I think that is where my sorting problem might stem from. Which exif tag is the equivalent of 'Date Taken'? I have assumed it is 'DateTimeOriginal' but that has to be the wrong assumption.

When I set it to sort by 'Date Modified' it DOES sort correctly by my exif data so I'm probable setting the wrong exif field.

BTW - the reason for the exercise is that all my images are scanned and do not have any actual 'camera' data.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    Wally, I'll see about other expertise in this area.
    Standby and keep bumping this once a day till we get you sorted, one way or another, ok?

Andy
    edited January 3, 2007
    Standing By
    Thanks rolleyes1.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2007
    I do not know the answer yet, I'll keep trying.
    edited January 10, 2007
    Anything yet?
    Andy wrote:
    I do not know the answer yet, I'll keep trying.
    Still waiting ne_nau.gif
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2007
    wallyj wrote:
    Still waiting ne_nau.gif
    Hi Wally,

The photos in the gallery you linked to, do not have sufficient exif data. You would need to add valid Exif using a program that can add that to the images manually. Right now, it doesn't show up, I'm sorry.
    edited January 12, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    Hi Wally,

The photos in the gallery you linked to, do not have sufficient exif data. You would need to add valid Exif using a program that can add that to the images manually. Right now, it doesn't show up, I'm sorry.
    Since the original post I have done some detective work myself.
    The first post was generated after I had used a 'utility' like you mentioned and set 'DateTimeOriginal', uploaded to a gallery, and still did not see the Exif link.

While this link was active I found the the 'Utility' had not put my entry into the EXIF area of the metadata, but into the IPTC area. It did that because the tag name 'DateTimeOriginal' is used in multiple areas within the metadata and it placed my entry in the first position that matched. Once I forced the utility to put my dates into the EXIF metadata tags the link showed up and the pictures were sorted.

This leads to the original question, Just What fields in the metadata does smugmug use and which if these triggers the display of the exif link on your pictures.

My last test run added 'Make', 'Model', 'DateTimeOriginal', and 'DateTimeModified'. There are many others and I'd like to know which I can use that would be displayable on sm. Thanks ne_nau.gif