Print Question

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited February 7, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I've gone through some of my pics and looked at the "Color Effects" option under photo tools. For some of them, I liked the look of the "Auto Color corrected" better, so I went ahead and chose it. (If I understand correctly, my prints would end up looking like this effect anyway, unless I choose "true" color - is that right?) For one picture I chose the Tanning Salon effect. When I order the print, do I still leave it on "auto" color or change it to "true" color, since I chose something other than "Auto Color corrected?" For most pictures, I like the auto color, but I have one in particular that I really do not like it on.

This is a related question...say I choose Tanning Salon and then decide to check out the color effects again. I'm guessing the new choices are based on (are variations of) my "new" Tanning Salon pic - is that right? This is what made me wonder about the initial question. If I choose Sepia Tone (or anything but Auto Color), do I need to say "True" color in the print shopping cart?

Hope that all makes sense! If this has been answered somewhere before, I'd be happy to read about it if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Elaine
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2006
    Elaine wrote:
    I've gone through some of my pics and looked at the "Color Effects" option under photo tools. For some of them, I liked the look of the "Auto Color corrected" better, so I went ahead and chose it. (If I understand correctly, my prints would end up looking like this effect anyway, unless I choose "true" color - is that right?) For one picture I chose the Tanning Salon effect. When I order the print, do I still leave it on "auto" color or change it to "true" color, since I chose something other than "Auto Color corrected?" For most pictures, I like the auto color, but I have one in particular that I really do not like it on.
    The online Auto color is not the same great Auto color we use at our Lab.
    http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/PrintingAutoOrTrueColor

We're working on some new exciting stuff for online Auto.
    This is a related question...say I choose Tanning Salon and then decide to check out the color effects again. I'm guessing the new choices are based on (are variations of) my "new" Tanning Salon pic - is that right? This is what made me wonder about the initial question. If I choose Sepia Tone (or anything but Auto Color), do I need to say "True" color in the print shopping cart?
    Most of the time, yes. Auto on top of Auto won't be really the best always.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2007
    Thanks, Andy! Whew, do I have a lot to learn!

I'm going to order the calibration print...does it matter what sheen I get in order to test it against my monitor?

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • 2whlrcr2whlrcr Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    I thought I would tag onto this thread because I have the same questions and still uncertain of the answers.

I too have chosen to use color effects on some of my photos, because it helps with the color, exposure and gives them the extra pop, when viewing on the monitor. Many of my uploaded photos may also have had some minor correction done, prior to uploading.

I was assuming that the color effects was giving the photo the same treatment that auto color does, when ordering a print. This evidently is not true. According to Andy, it's not a good idea to apply color effects and choose auto color for printing.

If I post a picture in a gallery of a improperly exposed, out of color balance photo, or one without "pop", nobody will want to order it, regardless if auto color will improve it for printing. What's the best process for posting dynamic photos in your galleries and rendering a suitable print?

I don't have to be as exact as portrait photographers, because most of my commercial work is moto photography. My customers just want a clear photo of themselves riding their bikes. But I would like my work to be as good as possible.

Thanks
    edited February 6, 2007
    2whlrcr wrote:
    I thought I would tag onto this thread because I have the same questions and still uncertain of the answers.

I too have chosen to use color effects on some of my photos, because it helps with the color, exposure and gives them the extra pop, when viewing on the monitor. Many of my uploaded photos may also have had some minor correction done, prior to uploading.

I was assuming that the color effects was giving the photo the same treatment that auto color does, when ordering a print. This evidently is not true. According to Andy, it's not a good idea to apply color effects and choose auto color for printing.

If I post a picture in a gallery of a improperly exposed, out of color balance photo, or one without "pop", nobody will want to order it, regardless if auto color will improve it for printing. What's the best process for posting dynamic photos in your galleries and rendering a suitable print?

I don't have to be as exact as portrait photographers, because most of my commercial work is moto photography. My customers just want a clear photo of themselves riding their bikes. But I would like my work to be as good as possible.

Thanks
    Hi, until we get some new online correction tools (if we do)... get I2E - we even arranged a great deal for SmugMuggers :D

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=51034
  • 2whlrcr2whlrcr Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2007
    Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, not quite what I wanted to hear.

I have a Mac. An old slow Mac. I just use iPhoto. So now I have to buy a bigger faster computer. I was intending to purchase PSE, but I see the plug in recommended, doesn't work with PSE. So now I need to buy the full Photoshop. Will it ever end?:cry I may just have to settle for mediocrity.:D
    edited February 6, 2007
    2whlrcr wrote:
    Thanks for the quick response. Unfortunately, not quite what I wanted to hear.

I have a Mac. An old slow Mac. I just use iPhoto. So now I have to buy a bigger faster computer. I was intending to purchase PSE, but I see the plug in recommended, doesn't work with PSE. So now I need to buy the full Photoshop. Will it ever end?:cry I may just have to settle for mediocrity.:D
    Well - it *is* a great tool. I use it on my Intel Mac, using Parallels and Windows.

PSE on your mac will help a lot, too.
    Holler in the finishing school forum if you need help!
  • PamelaPamela Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    The online Auto color is not the same great Auto color we use at our Lab.
    http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/PrintingAutoOrTrueColor

We're working on some new exciting stuff for online Auto.

Most of the time, yes. Auto on top of Auto won't be really the best always.

Andy

Im trying to order a test photo
    Do I choose true or Auto ?
    Matt / Glossy
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
    edited February 7, 2007
    Pamela wrote:
    Andy

Im trying to order a test photo
    Do I choose true or Auto ?
    Matt / Glossy
    Give me a gallery / image link so I can advise you.

And use Lustre iloveyou.gif
    edited February 7, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, until we get some new online correction tools (if we do)... get I2E - we even arranged a great deal for SmugMuggers :D

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=51034

Andy

I went to this link - smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/PrintingAutoOrTrueColor
    where the test photo can be ordered for $3- 8X10
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
    edited February 7, 2007
    Pamela wrote:
    Andy

I went to this link - smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/PrintingAutoOrTrueColor
    where the test photo can be ordered for $3- 8X10
    Hah :)
    we'll do that for you - just email our Support Heroes

http://www.smugmug.com/help/emailreal

Ask for some sample prints - they're on us!
    edited February 7, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hah :)
    we'll do that for you - just email our Support Heroes

http://www.smugmug.com/help/emailreal

Ask for some sample prints - they're on us!

Wow awesome !

Again your there taking great care of us. Thank you !clap.gif
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net