Need a Lens Recommendation

wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
edited January 1, 2007 in Sports
I'm looking for a recommendation for a lens (for a Canon Digital Rebel). I want to be able to take some shots at my daughter's basketball games. These is county rec league level--so it means small gyms with really lousy lighting. I'm also on a budget--so I'd like to keep it at $400 or less.

Because the gyms are so small and I'll be right on the edge of the court, I've been thinking about a Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG.

What do you think? I'd love to be able to have something which went out to the 150mm range, but not sure I can afford it at the f/2.8 or better level.

Appreciate the assistance.

Regards

Will
Regards

Will

Comments

• RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2006
    wmstumme wrote:
    I'm looking for a recommendation for a lens (for a Canon Digital Rebel). I want to be able to take some shots at my daughter's basketball games. These is county rec league level--so it means small gyms with really lousy lighting. I'm also on a budget--so I'd like to keep it at $400 or less.

Because the gyms are so small and I'll be right on the edge of the court, I've been thinking about a Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG.

What do you think? I'd love to be able to have something which went out to the 150mm range, but not sure I can afford it at the f/2.8 or better level.

Appreciate the assistance.

Regards

Will

IMO the absolute perfect lens for what you need is the sigma 30 1.4, $399 at normancamera.com
    now the canon 35/1.4 would be even better but it's $1200

I got one last month...watch the 1.4 end as it tends to miss focus....it will let u shoot at f2, which is sweet on this lens and lower your iso...forget f2.8 in hs gyms unless u use strobes...I've been down that road and it's ugly, iso1600, f2.8, 1/320 (too slow) and u still underexpose

sit on the floor under the basket and wait...less shots but better IQ IMO anyway

117994982-L.jpg
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2006
    Canon 85mm/1.8 lens is top recommendation and a very common basketball lens. I doubt the Sigma you are looking at would have enough focus speed to be worth considering for a sport like basketball.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2006
    As Randy said, f2.8 isn't really adequate for what you want. I recently noticed a Canon 50mm f1.8 at B&H for $79. If that's an AF lens (I shoot Nikon) it's a steal, and you'll get way better shots with that lens than any f2.8. The 50mm f1.4 is $309.95 and their 85mm f1.8 is $339. You'll do better to get any one of these lenses. I shoot with both a 50 mm and 85 mm, but I am lusting after that 30mm Randy suggested. If you're not sitting under the basket though, go with the 85 or 50. The 85mm will probably do you best from the sideline or the bottom row of the bleachers.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2006
    I just LOVED my 50mm 1.8 and recently upgraded to the 50mm 1.4, which I feel is a LOT faster and has much better focusing (fewer missed shots). But I would whole heartedly recommend the 1.8 because of the price and the wonderful shots you'll get with it!

I just ordered the 85mm f1.8, but haven't received it yet. But it has gotten rave reviews!

If it were me, though, I'd probably look at either of those two lenses first. I think you'll be much happier!

Good luck with your decision!
    edited January 1, 2007
    I just LOVED my 50mm 1.8 and recently upgraded to the 50mm 1.4, which I feel is a LOT faster and has much better focusing (fewer missed shots). But I would whole heartedly recommend the 1.8 because of the price and the wonderful shots you'll get with it!

I just ordered the 85mm f1.8, but haven't received it yet. But it has gotten rave reviews!

If it were me, though, I'd probably look at either of those two lenses first. I think you'll be much happier!

Good luck with your decision!

keep in mind the 85's are USM.....the 50 1.8 is not
  • wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2007
    Thanks to everyone for the quick responses. I'm definately dropping the idea of the 28-70 zoom. Thanks also for hitting the price area I was looking for. Now I'm just trying to decide on which particular lens.

In these rec league games, they have very little room at the ends of the courts and the ref's don't want anyone under the basket/on the endline at all. I'll be shooting from the sideline--so I'm thinking the 30mm will be a bit short. However, I'll be in the first row (since there is no second row...).

I'm thinking it's between the 50mm and 85 mm. I'm leaning towards the 85mm, however with the fixed focal length I'm wondering if I'm going to end up chopping off some of the players when they get close. On the other hand, the 50mm seems that it may not get me close enough?

One question for Randy, you wrote:
    keep in mind the 85's are USM.....the 50 1.8 is not
    Wasn't exactly sure of your meaning here--USM is preferable, right?

The sub $70 price tag on the 50 f1.8 is really tempting, but think I may go with the 85mm and just trying and sneak the 50mm order in sometime when my wife isn't paying attention.
    Regards

Will
    85mmf1.8. If you don't like it you can sell it for 90% of your purchase price if new, if you find a used one it will cost you nothing.

dale@dhlewisphotography.com
    http://dhlewisphotography.com
    edited January 1, 2007
    wmstumme wrote:
    Thanks to everyone for the quick responses. I'm definately dropping the idea of the 28-70 zoom. Thanks also for hitting the price area I was looking for. Now I'm just trying to decide on which particular lens.

In these rec league games, they have very little room at the ends of the courts and the ref's don't want anyone under the basket/on the endline at all. I'll be shooting from the sideline--so I'm thinking the 30mm will be a bit short. However, I'll be in the first row (since there is no second row...).

I'm thinking it's between the 50mm and 85 mm. I'm leaning towards the 85mm, however with the fixed focal length I'm wondering if I'm going to end up chopping off some of the players when they get close. On the other hand, the 50mm seems that it may not get me close enough?

One question for Randy, you wrote:

Wasn't exactly sure of your meaning here--USM is preferable, right?

The sub $70 price tag on the 50 f1.8 is really tempting, but think I may go with the 85mm and just trying and sneak the 50mm order in sometime when my wife isn't paying attention.

yes, USM is the AF motor in the lens and it will AF way faster...based on everything you've said get the 85 1.8 and when the action is close shoot in portrait mode (turn the cam/lens sideways)....I would chk for a used one before I got a new one or use the soon to expire rebate (I just got 1 last month w/ the rebate it was $299 new at B&H Photo via the web)
  • donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2007
    wmstumme wrote:

I shoot primarily with a 10 Megapixel body. As a result I have a lot of room to crop in post. I do a lot of cropping when I shoot from the sidelines with the 50mm, and a lot less when I shoot with the 85mm. If your body is less than 6 megapixels, I'd go with the 85mm. If it's closer to 10, the the 50mm will be extremely versatile as it's a great indoor snapshot lens.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!
    edited January 1, 2007
    donek wrote:
    I shoot primarily with a 10 Megapixel body. As a result I have a lot of room to crop in post. I do a lot of cropping when I shoot from the sidelines with the 50mm, and a lot less when I shoot with the 85mm. If your body is less than 6 megapixels, I'd go with the 85mm. If it's closer to 10, the the 50mm will be extremely versatile as it's a great indoor snapshot lens.

if u will be cropping alot then shoot in RAW, keep your iso down even if it means lowering your ss to 1/320-1/400 and recover EV in PP
    If your iso gets too high the noise will get worse the bigger the crop you do
    On Canon's 30d it's ok up to 1250 and the 30d's 1250 = the d200's 1400-1600 so another advantage to shoot canon
    On Nikon's d200 i prefer to stay around 800
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited January 1, 2007
    A little late to the party. But I will add my input. As already mentioned the 85mm F1.8 is really good at this sort of shooting, The focal length may not be ideal, but it is a faster focuser than the either of the fast 50's or the faster 85's (1.2/1.4). As mentioned with the zooms, focus speed is paramount. You can always zoom in or out with your feet. But you can't make un-focused shots sharp ne_nau.gif

For the price (and resale value), passing up the 85mm F1.8 is hard to do. As that old lady on TV used to say, "try it, you'll like it". :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero