Nikon D80?

atomicjadeatomicjade Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
edited January 11, 2007 in Cameras
I apologize if this thread has come up before, but what are peoples opinions on it? I'm in the market for a new DSLR (my first, actually :)) and my top two options right now are the D80 and Canon 20d. Any other suggestions in camera bodies are also lovely, just keep in mind my budget isn't that large!

Thanks!

Comments

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2007
    atomicjade wrote:
    I apologize if this thread has come up before, but what are peoples opinions on it? I'm in the market for a new DSLR (my first, actually :)) and my top two options right now are the D80 and Canon 20d. Any other suggestions in camera bodies are also lovely, just keep in mind my budget isn't that large!

Thanks!

Either camera will do a fine. Basically the quality on all the DSLRs out there are fine. Nikon and Canon have more advanced systems but most users will never need all that they offer and will do fine with another brand.

The best thing to do is go down to the store and try them out and go with the one that fits best in your hand and whose ergonomics feel the most comfortable.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Brooks PBrooks P Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2007
    It might just be my opinion but I think DigitalGrin is more about the photo aspect of photography and less about the hardware, a better forum for the hardware is dpreview which is very hardware oriented.

For threads on the D80 check this forum
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1034

For threads about the 20D check this forum
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1019
  • SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2007
    Yep... I concur. Go handle each model and see what feels best for you. And make sure you have each with a battery and memory. This way you can get a real feel of the shutter action.
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2007
    Brooks P wrote:
    a better forum for the hardware is dpreview which is very hardware oriented.
    I kindly disagree. Although I really like Dpreview for their technological view on the digital imaging world, their forums are filled with users defending their own choices. In the Nikon forum, you're bound to find people stating the advanced flash system of the Nikons, in the Canon forum you're bound to find people stating the advanced high ISO performance of the Canon. The nicest thing of this forum is that you get people using all types of different cameras to read and comment in a single thread without bashing, since most people here care more about shooting pictures than measurabating. And it's not uncommon here to hear a Nikon user advice someone to get a Canon in a specific situation, or vice versa. Or even an odd brand. Ahem.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2007
    Brooks P wrote:
    It might just be my opinion but I think DigitalGrin is more about the photo aspect of photography and less about the hardware, a better forum for the hardware is dpreview which is very hardware oriented.

Well, hardware discussions have been the norm here since the site's inception, especially in this forum, but it's certainly true that there is a lot of discussion of photo technique around here too.

Anyway, to answer the original question, it's my opinion (as a Canon shooter) that the D80 is a superior piece of equipment in a couple of ways. You should definitely try them both out to see which fits you best, but Nikon really nails the ergonomics in a way that Canon doesn't -- no matter how much money you spend. Canon's use of buttons (on the Rebel series) or the selector wheel (on higher-end models) for aperture selection does not work as well as Nikon's thumb wheel, both because the ergonomics are just funny and because you're apt to screw up your aperture while doing other things (something Canon clearly knows about, it's why there are two different "on" modes on most of Canon's bodies -- one of them means "on but don't allow aperture adjust" and if you shoot much you'll almost always pick that one so as to avoid mucking up your aperture accidentally). Further, I will never understand why Canon cannot make some of its buttons programmable, especially when they continually produce bodies with a completely worthless "print" button on many models -- who the hell prints straight from a DSLR?

On the other hand the 20D is a metal body and the D80 isn't. Having had both metal and plastic bodies I don't find this to be worth spending a lot of money on, and the lighter weight of plastic is nice, but YMMV.

All recommendations aside, in terms of the imagery you can produce with either they're pretty darn equivalent. Both have really nice imagers, both have huge lens selections, both are very fast to shoot and recycle. If you already have lenses for one or the other, I'd say to pick the one that fits your lenses. But if you're starting from a vacuum I would suggest the Nikon.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • MarcoMarco Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2007
    I was going to post my first question here but I think I'll avoid adding to the string of topic discussions and hijack this one;)

I've been trying to make a sound decision as well and originally bought the Canon xti rebel but I could not for the life of me understand the poor handling of it's grip design - I felt as if this unit would slip out of my hand! So I opted for the D80 and am very happy about the feel of the camera.

However, I do not like the Nikkon AF-S DX 18-70mm f/3.5-4.6G IF ED lens. Being a true amateur I can only describe the performance as poor quality, especially when zooming in. Seems to work great with still shots with outdoor natural lighting though. As far as action shots? Not pleased at all and will have to save up my nickles for the 70-200VR for that.

The question I have is this, which lens would you of purchased as your main lens for family shots, indoor and outdoor? I would rather invest in a good lens then spend the money on the D200 at this point.

PS. Thank you Docwalker for convincing me to post here:)
    Nikon D200
    Nikkor 50m/1.4 AF D
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 10, 2007
    Brooks P wrote:
    Boooo!!! Hissssss!!! I should ban your a**! lol3.gif

Hey, it's a free web, go where you want, but I'm guessing Brooks doesn't hang out on the camera forum here at dgrin too much. We've had plenty of knock down drag out discussions on just about any hardware you can think of. Do a search for D80 - yes, I know you can't do this with our forum search tool (3 letter words are not allowed), but try this: go to google and search for "site:www.dgrin.com d80"
    :D

Now, my own opinion. Ho hum, I really want to like the D80, I do. But:
    1. it switched to SD. booo! I know this is a good forward thinking idea, but still, I don't like it.

2. 10mp. Why? Its still a crop-size sensor and it just makes for huuuuge files. Booo! Leave that in the D200 and instead of focusing on MORE pixels, give us better pixels! Nobody, I mean NOBODY shooting with a D80 really NEEDS 10mp. I was always fond of Nikon for producing a D2H with only 4mp that could keep pace with Canon and others with less, but better pixels. Booo to Nikon for disappointing me there. And come on already - give us better high ISO and dynamic range.

3. At this price range, Canon uses magnesium. Nikon, plastic. Granted, I thin its the best plastic on the market, but still, a booo.

(+)
    1. ergonomics are still the best. buttons and grip are for me, and at least one other person here, the winner.

So in the end, it's still up to you and there's NO clear winner! lol3.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited January 10, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Now, my own opinion. Ho hum, I really want to like the D80, I do. But:
    Thanks Erik but consider the consumers options these days. First and foremost is that it's not just the camera body but the lens investment to follow!

The difference ( and believe you me, I would of like the D200 but Docwalker sold his off already ) is the housing 2 extra FPS, iso in finder and a few other features for an extra $700!. That's why I wanted to buy a used version instead of a new one.

My question remains, what about the lens?
    Nikon D200
    Nikkor 50m/1.4 AF D
    edited January 10, 2007
    Marco wrote:
    Thanks Erik but consider the consumers options these days. First and foremost is that it's not just the camera body but the lens investment to follow!

The difference ( and believe you me, I would of like the D200 but Docwalker sold his off already ) is the housing 2 extra FPS, iso in finder and a few other features for an extra $700!. That's why I wanted to buy a used version instead of a new one.

My question remains, what about the lens?
    Ah well, then Marco (you dirty hijacker! :D), your question isn't what I was answering. I was answering the first post in the this thread... D80 v. 20/30D, in other words, the usual Nikon v. Canon.

First, I certainly realize the value of glass, but in this respect, I challenge anyone to claim that one or the other is better. Nikon and Canon, IMO are equal. I can say this because I've shot in both worlds. I used to think one was better than the other, but I've changed my mind - both have a very wide selection of very good glass. If you're starting from scratch, I can't see how one or the other could win in this dept.

I don't get what you are talking about with the D200... I applaud Nikon for having it, it's a great camera, a very good new edition to their lineup - a higher-up-prosumer. Canon might do well to add something between the 30d and 5d as well, who knows. You can't compare the D200 to the cameras here, it's plain better, much more camera, we know that. headscratch.gif

So specifically, what about what lens? What do you expect, it's a DX grade kit lens, a medium zoom with a non-fixed aperture (and a slow one at that)? You can't expect much from it, it's trying to do a lot on a very small budget.
    Erik

edited January 10, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Ah well, then Marco (you dirty hijacker! :D), your question isn't what I was answering. I was answering the first post in the this thread... D80 v. 20/30D, in other words, the usual Nikon v. Canon.

First, I certainly realize the value of glass, but in this respect, I challenge anyone to claim that one or the other is better. Nikon and Canon, IMO are equal. I can say this because I've shot in both worlds. I used to think one was better than the other, but I've changed my mind - both have a very wide selection of very good glass. If you're starting from scratch, I can't see how one or the other could win in this dept.

I don't get what you are talking about with the D200... I applaud Nikon for having it, it's a great camera, a very good new edition to their lineup - a higher-up-prosumer. Canon might do well to add something between the 30d and 5d as well, who knows. You can't compare the D200 to the cameras here, it's plain better, much more camera, we know that. headscratch.gif

So specifically, what about what lens? What do you expect, it's a DX grade kit lens, a medium zoom with a non-fixed aperture (and a slow one at that)? You can't expect much from it, it's trying to do a lot on a very small budget.

Well, I'm going to bring this back. Wish I found this forum before hand - would of saved me alot of time - going to return it and buy the D200 with the AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor lens instead.

Better off starting right at the beginning.

Thanks.
    Nikon D200
    Nikkor 50m/1.4 AF D
    edited January 10, 2007
    Marco wrote:
    Well, I'm going to bring this back. Wish I found this forum before hand - would of saved me alot of time - going to return it and buy the D200 with the AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor lens instead.

Better off starting right at the beginning.

Thanks.
    I can't fault you for that... but didn't you just say that you like the D80 and that glass was equally or more important? The $700 price difference goes a long way in getting better glass. You'll have a better body, but you'll end up with the same kit lens, which you already said was the only thing you didn't like. headscratch.gif
    Erik

edited January 10, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I can't fault you for that... but didn't you just say that you like the D80 and that glass was equally or more important? The $700 price difference goes a long way in getting better glass. You'll have a better body, but you'll end up with the same kit lens, which you already said was the only thing you didn't like. headscratch.gif

I'm confused - what do you expect ne_nau.gif. When I called my local Nikon dealer they said they had a package deal for the lens and the D200 camera that's equivalent to $350 off the price so why not. I'll have to do some more research before I make a decision. I only have 2 days left for a full refund.
    Nikon D200
    Nikkor 50m/1.4 AF D
    edited January 10, 2007
    Marco wrote:
    I'm confused - what do you expect ne_nau.gif.
    I was answering your glass question - you know, the one you asked first? Nevermind, and enjoy the D200.
    Erik

edited January 10, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I was answering your glass question - you know, the one you asked first? Nevermind, and enjoy the D200.

Yeah I know, I'm all over the map here - sorry :).

The lens question was answered so thanks:) but when I called and enquired about the lens, they told me that there is a package deal worth considering - the combo D200 with the 17-55 f2.8 Nikon - rather than just purchasing the lens on its own. When I did the final calculations, the difference between the package and me just purchasing the lens on it's own was only $350 Canadian - so that's why the move toward the variances.

Lens ? answered = $$$$$ savings with D200 - vs Lens on its own.

Hope that clarifies thingsear.gif
    Nikon D200
    Nikkor 50m/1.4 AF D
    edited January 10, 2007
    Marco wrote:
    Yeah I know, I'm all over the map here - sorry :)
    nod.gif
    17-55 f2.8 Nikon
    Aaaah haaaa! Bingo, there's the difference, you just said "AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor" the first time, so I assumed the D200 was coming with the same kit lens that you already have on the D80 (which you said you didn't particularly like) - the 17-55/2.8 is a different animal, fixed fast aperture = good! Now I understand!

So get it already and start posting some photos! :D
    Erik

edited January 10, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    nod.gif

Aaaah haaaa! Bingo, there's the difference, you just said "AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor" the first time, so I assumed the D200 was coming with the same kit lens that you already have on the D80 (which you said you didn't particularly like) - the 17-55/2.8 is a different animal, fixed fast aperture = good! Now I understand!

So get it already and start posting some photos! :D

You got it:ivar.
    Nikon D200
    Nikkor 50m/1.4 AF D
    edited January 11, 2007
    Marco wrote:
    You got it:ivar.

The camera and lens will soon arrive. One other question though, what about a lens filter?

I would like one that will preserve the characteristics of the lens but protect it from damage. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    Nikon D200
    Nikkor 50m/1.4 AF D
    edited January 11, 2007
    Marco wrote:
    The camera and lens will soon arrive. One other question though, what about a lens filter?

I would like one that will preserve the characteristics of the lens but protect it from damage. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    I don't use filters simply to protect my lenses. The front elements of most lenses are already designed to protect from the environment, and if something hits it harder than just normal specks, it'll break the filter and cause more harm than good.

And why put a cheap piece of glass in front of one you paid hundreds of dollars for?

This is one of those things that people will debate to death. So take the above as merely my own opinion.
    Erik

edited January 11, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I don't use filters simply to protect my lenses. The front elements of most lenses are already designed to protect from the environment, and if something hits it harder than just normal specks, it'll break the filter and cause more harm than good.

And why put a cheap piece of glass in front of one you paid hundreds of dollars for?

This is one of those things that people will debate to death. So take the above as merely my own opinion.

Actually that does make alot of sense. I could understand purchasing some sort of 'filter' for certain conditions but to merely protect the lens seems rather odd and an unnecessary expense.
    Nikon D200
    Nikkor 50m/1.4 AF D