Digital rebel shutter sticking

mpmcleodmpmcleod Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
edited January 5, 2007 in Cameras
My mother-in-law is in the Ukraine (Christmas to orphans mission) and her digital rebel shutter started sticking. Only half the image is getting recorded. I suggested leaving the camera in a climate controlled room overnight and trying again but wondered if anyone here has some real advice (or perhaps this has been covered and someone could point me in the right direction).

Thanks in advance.

-- Mike
-- Mike

smugmug nickname: mpmcleod
http://www.michaelmcleod.com/

Comments

• mpmcleodmpmcleod Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    mpmcleod wrote:
    My mother-in-law is in the Ukraine (Christmas to orphans mission) and her digital rebel shutter started sticking. Only half the image is getting recorded. I suggested leaving the camera in a climate controlled room overnight and trying again but wondered if anyone here has some real advice (or perhaps this has been covered and someone could point me in the right direction).

Thanks in advance.

-- Mike

bump
    -- Mike

• 3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    Is it really sticking or is it the mode? I've seen the same when using flash and set to Manual mode with the shutter speed too high. Do you know if she's using P or M or what?

mpmcleod wrote:
    bump
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited January 2, 2007
    If the shutter does not improve after several shots and a dry climate, I would not be optimistic that it will get better without a trip to Canon Factory Service.

I am not certain about this answer, and would be delighted if a more knowledgeable poster responds. My one experience with a bad shutter, ended up with the shutter being replaced by Canon Factory Service.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    kc7dji wrote:
    Is it really sticking or is it the mode? I've seen the same when using flash and set to Manual mode with the shutter speed too high. Do you know if she's using P or M or what?

Without seeing an image, I'm inclined to go with wrong shutter speed on the flash also. If the shutter were sticking, wouldn't there be exposure issues?
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • mpmcleodmpmcleod Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    Tommyboy wrote:
    Without seeing an image, I'm inclined to go with wrong shutter speed on the flash also. If the shutter were sticking, wouldn't there be exposure issues?

I have not been able to speak with her since giving my suggestion so I will ask these questions. But I was thinking that perhaps the mirror was not fully moving out of the way (which may be what she is describing as shutter sticking). Wouldn't this result in the 1/2 image problem she is describing?
    -- Mike

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited January 2, 2007
    Mike,

If you can acquire an image that shows the problem and still has the full EXIF, we can tell more reliably what the real problem is.

If she can't supply that, ask her if the problem only occurs when using flash. If it only happens using flash, have her use manual mode and reduce the shutter speed to 1/200th. If that solves the basic problem, you know the problem is related to sync speed, and she may not be aware that the camera will not properly sync faster than 1/200th.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • NewCreation517NewCreation517 Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    I am sure it is not the wrong mode, described on what you are telling us. If only a half image is being recorded, then the shutter is not moving into it's full path.

I would suggest having a repair shop looking at it, as it's likely the shutter mechanism is sticking because of dirt or other debris. Worst case, the shutter will need to be replaced (and I'm not sure the cost will justify the repair, seeing as Digital Rebels can easily be found for ~$300 used.)

-A
    Not there yet, but I've passed the start ...
    I am sure it is not the wrong mode, described on what you are telling us. If only a half image is being recorded, then the shutter is not moving into it's full path.

I would suggest having a repair shop looking at it, as it's likely the shutter mechanism is sticking because of dirt or other debris. Worst case, the shutter will need to be replaced (and I'm not sure the cost will justify the repair, seeing as Digital Rebels can easily be found for ~$300 used.)

-A

Thanks to all for suggestions.

She is back and I looked at the camera.

Apologies for my lack of camera vocabulary. The mirror is not being taken up. It is pretty clear to see that the second part of the take up is not happening. The "target" (I don't know what it is called but it has the focus squares on it) moves up. At the same time the mirror is supposed to move up along with it until they are both together at the top. In her camera the target moves it full path but the mirror doesn't follow.

Maybe a piece of plastic broke or a spring has come dislodged. Anyway she is considering the options at this point to repair or replace.
    -- Mike