What's Going On?

FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
edited January 4, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Taken December 31, 2006. So what do you think? Do you find the picture interesting, intriguing or just plain boring? Even though there is no chance for a retake, C&C are welcome.

120253520-L.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Virginia

Email

Comments

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 1, 2007
    Ice carving. The image is not doing much for me and the conversion is very flat. Looks like it could use a sepia filter and maybe try this dodge and burn technique to bring out more detail especially around the edges.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2007
    truth wrote:
    Ice carving. The image is not doing much for me and the conversion is very flat. Looks like it could use a sepia filter and maybe try this dodge and burn technique to bring out more detail especially around the edges.

Thanks, Truth. I really appreciate the c&c, especially about the b&w conversion. Not sure it is worth working on if the picture doesn't grab. A technically good or even excellent rendition of a boring picture is probably not worth the effort. FYI, I actually did do some burning, but maybe I'll try your recommended technique as a learning experience. Back to the drawing board!

Virginia

Email
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited January 1, 2007
    Well, I have to say that my initial reaction to this was something like "What's going on?" So that fits the theme. :D On the other hand, once you figure it out it's not really a very compelling image, and I don't think that it's just a matter of post-processing. I think you can do better, Virginia.

Regards,
    edited January 1, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Well, I have to say that my initial reaction to this was something like "What's going on?" So that fits the theme. :D On the other hand, once you figure it out it's not really a very compelling image, and I don't think that it's just a matter of post-processing. I think you can do better, Virginia.

Regards,

Thanks, Richard. I agree. I had a concept in my head when I went out to try to capture the guys going the ice sculptures yesterday morning, but I couldn't really get close enough and because of barriers I couldn't get the angles I wanted either. Maybe even without all of that I wouldn't have gotten a compelling shot. Still, it was good experience to try - and to realize that sometimes you just don't get the shot you are looking for. :cry There's always next year.

So, as I said, it's back back to the ole drawing board. :D

Virginia

Email
  • shoppixshoppix Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    ice sculpting..
    The other 'shooters' have said what I might have contributed, so I'll offer this...Maybe the Globe, Herald or Phoenix could/would use it?? The guy in the photo might like a copy, if you find out who he is.
    edited January 2, 2007
    Hey, shoppix, really nice of you to make those suggestions. Thanks. :D

It's really too late for First Night photos to be useful to the newspapers, but perhaps I will contact the outfit that did the sculpture and see if they would like prints of some of the series I took. Maybe the local weeklies would be interested.

I know how to reach the company the guys were working for because we buy ice in bulk from them once a year for a large holiday party at our house. I took at least two dozen pictures of three men at work and some of them are good enough not to embarass me. So maybe I'll see if they are interested.

Again, thank you for the ideas.

Virginia

Email
  • RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Thanks, Richard. I agree. I had a concept in my head when I went out to try to capture the guys going the ice sculptures yesterday morning, but I couldn't really get close enough and because of barriers I couldn't get the angles I wanted either. Maybe even without all of that I wouldn't have gotten a compelling shot. Still, it was good experience to try - and to realize that sometimes you just don't get the shot you are looking for. :cry There's always next year.

So, as I said, it's back back to the ole drawing board. :D

Virginia

nothing worse than having an idea and/or concept in your head and not getting it to come out in the shot! 'cept maybe not having a concept to start with!rolleyes1.gif

RM
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
    edited January 3, 2007
    RocketMan wrote:
    nothing worse than having an idea and/or concept in your head and not getting it to come out in the shot! 'cept maybe not having a concept to start with!rolleyes1.gif

RM

Good point RM!! Of course, I am now have no concept for this challenge and am also totally intimidated by some of the amazing photographs already entered. It is such fun to see what people come up with!!

They also serve who only look and vote. Right?

Virginia

Email
  • RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Good point RM!! Of course, I am now have no concept for this challenge and am also totally intimidated by some of the amazing photographs already entered. It is such fun to see what people come up with!!

They also serve who only look and vote. Right?

Virginia

Oh, yeah I know the feeling, but don't let it get you down, you'll get nothing but good imput from these folks. Shoot away and keep posting, let others know how thier shots impact you, even if you don't feel ready to critque them, you can still provide input. Pretty soon you'll feel right at home, remember there are a ton of new folks always showing up. When I was on here before it took me a while to get comfortable too.

RM
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D