First modeling shoot! (7 pics)

mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
edited January 5, 2007 in People
My brother and his wife run a print shop out of Pittsburgh, PA, and they decided they'd use nepotism to get ads for their first shirt that they made. Both of them are classically trained woodcut artists, and have decided to branch out from making prints to other things as well, such as shirts. So, he gave us all shirts this Christmas, and then asked me to get people to model them so he could use them in ads on his website. Here's a small sampling of shots from the entire shoot (which can be found at: http://mmroden.smugmug.com/gallery/2301717)

This is my first 'modeling' shoot, so please, comments and critiques are most welcome! It's not just that the pics be good, the logos on the shirts (both front and back) need to be plainly visible.

All shots were taken with available light, and the choice of models came from my family.

120295264-M.jpg

120295357-M.jpg

120295437-M.jpg

120295474-M.jpg

120295682-M.jpg

120296326-M.jpg

120296087-M.jpg

Comments

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2007
    You got some very nice people shots and there are even more in your gallery. But I'm not so sure the lighting is good enough for product shots. Not having done this kind of shooting, I can't offer specific advice, but I have a feeling it will require some use of fill flash to even out the lighting more. I like the poses ... especially from the back...but I can barely make out the prints, which appear to be not very bright to begin with. I am barely able to make out the logo. The shots (poses) are much like what I see in catalogues like Spiegel, etc. But the lighting seems inadequate.
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    I agree...the lighting needs some work. Keep at it...I think your work so far is really good.
  • StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    They are nice people shots but they arent product shots in my opinion.

The actual shirts seem insignificant?
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
  • urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    Stustaff wrote:
    They are nice people shots but they arent product shots in my opinion.

The actual shirts seem insignificant?

Agree with what others have said about lighting, but wanted to comment on the pose in #6, this is GREAT!!!! Really like the natural feel and expressions. Very nice.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    Thanks for the comments so far. I agree, actually, that these don't really show off the shirts that well. The problem is, the shirts are both not very contrasty to begin with, and are extremely detailed. Getting shots of anyone wearing a very minutely detailed shirt in any kind of interesting environment is a challenge, to say the least.

What kind of lighting suggestions do you have in mind? These were all shot with natural light, no flashes used. I only have one flash (an sb800, if that matters), so what can I do with that? What kind of shots do you have in mind that could show off a very detailed shirt?

They've decided to use shot #2, but I'm glad you like shot #6, as that's my wife and me :D
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    Number 6 & 7 work
    The others it's about composition. #1 needs more room. #2 doesn't have the flavor (I realize it's about the shirts). #3 subject is dead center.....would have liked less room on left more on right as she is looking that way. #4 is good but his feet are cut from the frame...since you have the whole pose there..the feet are important....otherwise could crop to below the knee. Yea, #5 works. Use black point curves to give the images some pop as well as try some selective saturation. Thought I'd at least give you my observations. Good luck!

Here's a quick PS fix to give you an idea of the suggestions. I also lightened up the model.

121066287-L.jpg
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    Out of all these photographs #4 is close to what I'd see as a fashion pose and framing. The light and contrast is rather dull. I'd recommend a gentle fill in flash or/and reflector. I'd also recommend getting few fashion magazines and try to pick up the poses pros use.
  • mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    Thanks for the critiques, guys.

I'll look into reflectors, as that seems to be the big thing, as well as poses.

They did like #2 the best, because the name of the printshop is tugboat, so having a boat in the frame goes for what they're looking for. But I suppose I should actually look at the myriad Elle's my wife has lying around critically rather than just throwing them on a big pile...