First attempt at Family Portraits

Dramatapix®Dramatapix® Registered Users Posts: 430 Major grins
edited January 2, 2007 in People
Your comments and critique are very welcome.

119896905-L.jpg

119982514-L.jpg

119914846-L.jpg
My Gear: D200, D80, 50 f/1.4, 28-75 f/2.8, 55-200 f/4-5.6, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6, 70-200 f2.8, (4) White Lightning Ultra 1200's, SB600, (2) Lightspheres, 17" Macbook Pro, 24" Apple Imac, Thinkpad T42, Epson R-260, PSCS2, Adobe Lightroom, Apple Aperture, PS Elements 4

Comments

• MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2007
    Overall very good portraits. I'd be happy.

However here are two things I'd think about. First, there seems to be a light reflection in the first shot on the gentleman's temple. It can be photoshopped out though. Also, I much prefer the lighter background. In the first one, the gentleman's dark suit seems to blend into the background. It's almost as if he had no visible shoulders. But I love the post of the first one over the second. There is something about the boy leaning while everyone else is straight. The last photo again is very good. I think the composition is great on all three, but again with the last one, it's that dark background but perhaps it is just MY hangup. eek7.gif

Good job though. I've really never been that good at portraits, especially families.
  • TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2007
    These are sharp and clear, nice photos. As pointed out, they are a bit "hot" in places.

I don't care too much for the vertical orientation of the group of four. If you were going to work on something, I'd look at how you will arrange/pose your next group. Think about something a bit less formal perhaps, and give them more room. They appear as though standing in a crowded elevator. Sprawl them across a sofa, or perhaps kneeling/sitting. I'm not sure what kind of space you're working with. . . .

I think you're off to a roaring start. Well done.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    Here are my suggestions
    Give them some room...to breath..for the viewer especially. They feel like they're squeezed into the frame rather than a natural position. I think you'll find some of the other things such as background, head positions, etc. will be much easier to focus on/change once the composition is in order. I like the background in #2. Would like a little lighter in #3 as well..but then again...the dark would work with some breathing room in the frame. My 2 cents.....I think you did pretty well overall on the lighting too...it's pretty easy to remove hotspots.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    I think your first attempt is good.