Options

New Monitor - Lacie 22"

wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
edited March 15, 2004 in Accessories
I've gone and done it. After a few weeks of hanging around ebay, I decided I wasn't going to get a much better price than retail. So I've ordered a Lacie Electronblue 22" monitor. Should be here in a week or so.

During this process, I've come to a conclusion.

People who are developing web applications seem to do so with the cutting edge in mind. They assume everyone has a fast connection, Flash, a good monitor, etc.

I've noticed almost an arrogance about this. As though these were the minimum requirements. And that if you don't have these tools, then you're deficient. Whereas the reality, of course, is that more people are using dialup than broadband. And that more people have bad monitors than good ones. I've observed the latter firsthand recently, looking at photos on various monitors, at home and at work. It's amazing how poorly almost all of them display colors and light intensity.

I decry the arrogance I see.

I know that I'm getting a good monitor so that I can satisfy myself that I'm doing the right thing with my photos in Photoshop. But I'm under no illusion that the majority of the people who view them on the web will have the experience I intend. I can accept that. Without the arrogance displayed by those who work on web applications.
Sid.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au

Comments

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2004
    So people should be writing stuff in COBOL for monochrome monitors running off 640x480 VGA cards and 386 CPUs?
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    Sure, that's exactly what I said. Vroom, that sound was the point going over yer head. :whip
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    rolleyes1.gif

would you buy radio shack speakers for your McIntosh amp?
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    It's not a matter of whether or not I would. It's a matter of how many other people do. And the answer is.... lots.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    It's not a matter of whether or not I would. It's a matter of how many other people do. And the answer is.... lots.
    so? should technology wait for the masses to catchup? bah.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    It's not the technology that's the issue.... it's how people choose to apply it.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    It's not the technology that's the issue.... it's how people choose to apply it.

okay. enough. i have completely lost any point you were trying to make, mr. luddite. :bluduh
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2004
    How about the simple fact that greater than 50% of the net is still 28k-56k dialup and that the web designers are designing pages that only work properly with a broadband connection. I think his point was that as marketeers they are idiots, which I agree with. Even though I have a T1 all to myself, I have flash set to run only if I click it to run. All popups are blocked and 95% of advertising is blocked. I can feel only sympathy for the poor buggers running IE on a dialup Wintel box.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2004
    fish wrote:
    okay. enough. i have completely lost any point you were trying to make, mr. luddite. :bluduh

You never got it in the first place. 's OK, after all, that's the point. 11doh.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2004
    So did it arrive? Can I come borrow it for a little while? ne_nau.gif I want to make sure it is properly calibrated. umph.gif
  • Options
    edited February 20, 2004
    Not here yet. I thought it might arrive by today. Hopefully it will make it in the next couple of days.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Not here yet. I thought it might arrive by today. Hopefully it will make it in the next couple of days.
    Where did you buy it? No UPS tracking number?
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2004
    Sure, I could track it, just haven't bothered to. It will get here when it gets here.
    Sid.
  • Options
    kometkomet Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Sure, I could track it, just haven't bothered to. It will get here when it gets here.
    Glad you got a new monitor, Waxie...but, fish did kinda spank you pretty good.
    komet gives light so that you may find the way.
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2004
    Troublemaker.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2004
    Well, the new monitor's here, installed and looking.... large. I'm getting a good sun tan sitting in front of I must say. I'll post a photo when I get my camera back upstairs. Next up... making sure it's properly calibrated.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Well, the new monitor's here, installed and looking.... large. I'm getting a good sun tan sitting in front of I must say. I'll post a photo when I get my camera back upstairs. Next up... making sure it's properly calibrated.
    You're slowly getting out of the dark ages...cable modem...new monitor...what next?
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2004
    A mate?
    Sid.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 27, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    How about the simple fact that greater than 50% of the net is still 28k-56k dialup and that the web designers are designing pages that only work properly with a broadband connection. I think his point was that as marketeers they are idiots, which I agree with. Even though I have a T1 all to myself, I have flash set to run only if I click it to run. All popups are blocked and 95% of advertising is blocked. I can feel only sympathy for the poor buggers running IE on a dialup Wintel box.
    I was thinking the same thing - I've always designed my websites on the simple side realizing that half the people (usually in the clubs I've made the sites for) won't have badass connections. But fish also has a good point, should we wait for everyone to catch up?

Nevermind though, this was really a thread about Waxy's cool new monitor. Congrats man!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited February 27, 2004
    It is cool, thanks. WRT web development... no-one builds the car they think is best, and then waits for the market to catch-up to them. They build the car they think will sell. Oddly, that's not how many, perhaps most, websites operate.
    Sid.
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I'll post a photo when I get my camera back upstairs.
    Where are our pictures waxy??? ear.gif

By the way... I've got a LaCie 22" on order now. They're backorderd so I probably wont see it for another couple weeks :cry
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    Where are our pictures waxy??? ear.gif

By the way... I've got a LaCie 22" on order now. They're backorderd so I probably wont see it for another couple weeks :cry

Ooh, thanks for ther reminder. I'll take some late tonight and post them after everyone's gone to bed.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2004
    Everyone asleep? Good. Here's the monitor. I'm undecided about putting on the hood. And I'm still looking around for a calibration tool. I'm thinking about the GretaMacbeth Eye One, which is "only" $240 for the monitor calibrator.

2710508-M.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Everyone asleep? Good. Here's the monitor. I'm undecided about putting on the hood. And I'm still looking around for a calibration tool. I'm thinking about the GretaMacbeth Eye One, which is "only" $240 for the monitor calibrator.

2710508-M.jpg
    you got rooked. there's less than half a screen showing up there.

Seriously...nice monitor, but holy cow...that's a small workstation. How close is your face to the monitor?
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2004
    wxwax wrote:

2710508-M.jpg
    That seems ridiculous to spend that kind of money to calibrate your monitor. Is it broke already? Take the money and get you a nice printer or something...or better yet...send it to the komet foundation.
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2004
    fish wrote:
    you got rooked. there's less than half a screen showing up there.

Seriously...nice monitor, but holy cow...that's a small workstation. How close is your face to the monitor?

I'm not saying my face is close to the monitor... but my neck gets sore as I have to constantly turn my head as I read across lines of copy. Actually, there's a desk to the right of the shot... and an unholy mess just outside the frame.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2004
    komet wrote:
    That seems ridiculous to spend that kind of money to calibrate your monitor. Is it broke already? Take the money and get you a nice printer or something...or better yet...send it to the komet foundation.

At first, I agreed with you. But now $240 looks cheap. And since I care very much that I get it right when I adjust my photos,,,and $240 isn't that much compared to the cost of like everything else umph.gif in this game, suddenly it doesn't seem so outrageous.
    Sid.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 6, 2004
    wxwax wrote:

2710508-M.jpg
    Congratulations on your new monitor. I have never heard of LaCie. Can you tell me the difference between your LaCie and my ViewSonic. Is this a specialty monitor designed for graphics? Also what screen resolution do you use in PS? If I go to a higher resolution all the menue bars and icons are the size of a dwarf nat. Thanks
  • Options
    edited March 6, 2004
    Sam, I have it at 1152x864, 84 megahertz refresh rate. I could make things smaller, but then I'd need glasses. The monitor is designed for color accuracy. How they achieve that, and why it's supposed to be better that your Viewsonic, I can't say. I opted for this on the strength of advice from Patch29, Zero-Zero and a number of favorable reviews.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited March 7, 2004
    Waxie, it is a nice monitor and I hope you enjoy it.clap.gif