My first black and white!!! Whats wrong with this one?

JiggerJigger Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
edited January 3, 2007 in People
Im starting to love black and white photography. Esp now when i learned working with LAB colors. Still getting the basics of photography. C/C welcome. :D

03-0102-2007.jpg
Jigger

You don't take a photograph, you make it. - Ansel Adams

Comments

• 3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    I don't think your b&w conversion is bad but I think the photo is. I mean it looks like there is motion blur. If this is the look you intended then my point is null. But the b&w conversion is pretty good. How are you doing the conversion? thumb.gif

Jigger wrote:
    Im starting to love black and white photography. Esp now when i learned working with LAB colors. Still getting the basics of photography. C/C welcome. :D
  • mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    As was said, the conversion is fine, but I think the photo itself needs to be improved.

Specific points:
    I don't find the space to the back of her head particularly interesting.
    The background is busy, and therefore distracting, which detracts from the interestingness of the girl's face.
    You've cut off the top of her head, and I'm not sure why.

To improve this shot, I'd:
    back up, to get her entire head into view, or zoom out a bit.
    Crop with a 1x1 aspect ratio, since it seems that you're trying to get her face rather than anything else. Alternatively, put her face one one side of the frame or the other, rather than smack in the middle.

These are, of course, purely my opinion, so feel free to disagree :D
  • kreskres Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    As others have said - the motion blur is distracting with a stationary subject.

However, I like the framing. Portraits tend to bore me with the same formula of compositon time and time again. I like a little bit more information in the screen as long as it's not distracting.

I find that her earring really snaps my attention - it's much brighter then the darking shadows of her hair, and the natural fade of the light source. That's okay, because then I scan the horizontal line and you looking into her eyes.

All in all, I like it. You *might* be able to lessen the effect of the blur with some intentional speckling. Personally, the light is great, and I think you could of perserved the mood and cut down on the blur using a faster ISO setting.

thumb.gif
    --Kres
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    I would crop most of the distracting space on the left.
  • JiggerJigger Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    kc7dji - I still dont have a speedlight, i shot this one on a low lighted room. Yes, it is blurred slightly. Im having trouble finding the sweetest spot of the kit lens. I was trying to get a narrower DOF. any idea?
    I worked on the Channel Mixer. I found this tutorial

mmroden - Yes I agree with you, I was trying to get a norrower DOF on this one but with no avail. any idea? I have a kit lens

kres - Thank you for the constructive advice. I'l try working on that. what do u mean? - > That's okay, because then I scan the horizontal line and you looking into her eyes.

Thanks guys. Learn.. learn .. and be better.. clap.gif
    Jigger

• RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    I gotta agree with the background being a bit busy, and for some reason I got the sense it was taken in a lanudry room which then got me thinking about why take it there instead of looking at her face and expression. I have the same habit of not looking at/thinking about the background in many of my shots, so i know how hard it can be checking everything before taking the picture. If you're not carefull in the composition then you wind up with a picture that has a good subject but your intended subject is not the focal point of the picture because of the background distraction.

RM
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    Jigger wrote:
    kc7dji - I still dont have a speedlight, i shot this one on a low lighted room. Yes, it is blurred slightly. Im having trouble finding the sweetest spot of the kit lens. I was trying to get a narrower DOF. any idea?

Small children move constantly and rapidly!!! She looks too young to bribe into sitting still for very long :D so you might try using the burst mode on your camera (if you have the option). It's great for capturing unexpected expressions. Other than that, you need good light or a faster shutter speed! I got tired of blurry children pics and discovered that the burst mode helped capture shots I wasn't even aware were happening!!! Of course, a little flash helps too!!
    edited January 2, 2007
    RocketMan - Yes the background is a bit busy. Should have a narrower DOF right? This one was taken in the laundry room. Photographing a young is just to difficult. :( Hope I could learn a lot from u guys. Thanks Rocketman for the tip.

saurora - Yes she moves constantly and rapidly. I cant hold her up still. What is the best speedlight available for all around purpose? The not so expensive one..
    Jigger

• 3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    I guess I forgot to ask what ISO you are set to? Maybe bumping that up would help as well. That is unless you are already up there.

As far as speedlight... if budget is large concern I would suggest getting the Sigma 500 DG ST flash. This flash IMHO work just as nice as the SpeedlLight at a fraction of the cost. I've been using it for weddings (with the Fong Lighsphere II) and it's just wonderful. This flash is very basic but works TTL and is very very nice.

If you want advanced features from the same flash there is the SUPER version. Its the Sigma 500 DG Super. It has many more features like slave capabilities and digital information panel.

Well there's my opinion if you want a nice good powerful flash (like speedlight) minus the Canon price.

BTW: I have both of these flash units. I prefer the ST model. It's the chepaer one but doen't have all the bells and whistles that I don't use anyway. I like to turn on - TTL - and shoot!

Would like to hear back from you as tp your decision.

Scott

Jigger wrote:
    RocketMan - Yes the background is a bit busy. Should have a narrower DOF right? This one was taken in the laundry room. Photographing a young is just to difficult. :( Hope I could learn a lot from u guys. Thanks Rocketman for the tip.

saurora - Yes she moves constantly and rapidly. I cant hold her up still. What is the best speedlight available for all around purpose? The not so expensive one..
    edited January 3, 2007
    Im looking at some Speedlight. Im even eying on the 55mm f1.8 lens (i have a very tight budget. life here in the philippines is very hard) What i have right now is a stock lens on my 300D and a tripod. Whats the best thing to purchase on a very tight budget? the lens or the sppedlight? Im still a beginner in digital photography but Im a 3D Artist by profession.
    Jigger