Windows Vista Problems

bigstuntmanbigstuntman Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited January 13, 2007 in SmugMug Support
After installing Windows Vista RTM (not beta or RC) I have run into the following problems. I'm interested if others have experienced these and may have some workarounds. I suppose I ought to try and install firefox and see if that helps though I would like to stick with the native vista tools (IE etc.).

1. After installing the Universal uploader with Java I am unable to upload any photos to galleries. If I click on upload photos or add photos from the drop down list, IE will blink fast and then exit (also exiting out of all my other tabs open).

2. The same thing also happens when I try to create a gallery, after I click on the save button for a new gallery - IE will close out - it does appear to save the change, but is quite annoying to have it close out all windows.

3. I am unable to get smugdav to function under Vista, where it worked great under XP.

4. Using the "Send to Smug" Utility for Windows, there seems to be a limit of 20 pictures uploaded at a time. Is this normal?

Thanks for any help or ideas!

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    wave.gif

I'll ask Lee to reply, he's our in-house expert on Vista.
  • bigstuntmanbigstuntman Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited January 2, 2007
    That would be great thanks!thumb.gif
  • bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 2, 2007
    After installing Windows Vista RTM (not beta or RC) I have run into the following problems. I'm interested if others have experienced these and may have some workarounds. I suppose I ought to try and install firefox and see if that helps though I would like to stick with the native vista tools (IE etc.).

1. After installing the Universal uploader with Java I am unable to upload any photos to galleries. If I click on upload photos or add photos from the drop down list, IE will blink fast and then exit (also exiting out of all my other tabs open).

2. The same thing also happens when I try to create a gallery, after I click on the save button for a new gallery - IE will close out - it does appear to save the change, but is quite annoying to have it close out all windows.

3. I am unable to get smugdav to function under Vista, where it worked great under XP.

4. Using the "Send to Smug" Utility for Windows, there seems to be a limit of 20 pictures uploaded at a time. Is this normal?

Thanks for any help or ideas!
    1 & 2) Vista does not like older versions of java. Uninstall the version of java you have (i'm guessing 1.4) and then go to java.com to get the latest.

3) I havent been able to get smugDav to work either. I havent had the chance to research it yet so i'm not sure what is involved in getting it to work.

4) I am not aware of any limits in Send to Smugmug and cant really imagine why it would impose a limit in Vista vs. XP. Your best bet here is to contact the author at http://www.shahine.com/omar/ (it's a 3rd party app, not a smugmug app).
    Pedal faster
  • bigstuntmanbigstuntman Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited January 2, 2007
    Thanks - uninstalling and reinstalling the latest java fixed the upload problem.

I've also posted my question regarding the 20 upload limit for send to smugmug in that support forum at: http://www.gotdotnet.com/codegallery/messageboard/thread.aspx?id=1575e243-10e2-47f0-9dfe-201bae8d49ba&mbid=d7fafd79-035e-4b31-b320-b92bd8acf645&threadid=cc7f17be-74df-4d83-b1c3-14e55d864a3f

-Thanks!
  • jwashburnjwashburn Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2007
    Are you using 64bit IE? I have had a bunch of problems with that as well. I have to use the 32 bit version for some things