Options

A good dilemma concerning super telephoto

2»

Comments

• Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    GBHs and Egrets here in northern California seem to be tolerant to about 15 yards. This is full frame on a 5D at 300mm:

104118210-L.jpg

Without using blinds and some luck, I don't think I'll be filling the frame of my 5D with less than about 800mm. Maybe I need to start spending time in Florida.
  • Options
    docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 4, 2007
    I do get to spend some time in Florida on dive trips. But given that most of my time is in Virginia that limits me some. The GBH around here love the opposite bank from you. The river averages about 15-20 yards wide. So you are pretty much stuck using telephoto.

I was lucky to come across a raptor hanging out on my side of the river in a park a few weeks ago. Sadly none of the photos were worth doing anything with. The light was fading fast and the angle I was shooting from did not produce decent photos. I plan to go back and shoot some more at a later date. It appears that he hangs out in the park due to the abundance of pigeons under the bridges.

LiquidAir wrote:
    GBHs and Egrets here in northern California seem to be tolerant to about 15 yards. This is full frame on a 5D at 300mm:

104118210-L.jpg

Without using blinds and some luck, I don't think I'll be filling the frame of my 5D with less than about 800mm. Maybe I need to start spending time in Florida.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2007
    Sorry for the long delay in updating this. There was a delay in closing on the real estate, there was a delay in clearing the check, there was a delay at the bank releasing the money, there was a delay in the CC company accepting the payment, there was a delay.... You get the picture.

But I placed my order yesterday with B&H. A Canon 500mm f4, A Wimberly Gimbal Head, and a P40 Arca plate are on the way. :ivar

I finally signed up for NAPP and used it for the shipping discount. I have saved almost half the membership fee in this one order.

As soon as my rebate on the camera comes back I plan to pick up some extension tubes and TC's for it.

:D
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2007
    You lucky dog!!
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2007
    400mm/2.8
    go the 500mm/f4.0!
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2007
    I was going to say why not give the Sigmonster a try, I know you wanted to stay with Canon but I've yet to see a birder dissapointed by it. And talk about reach.:jawdrop
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2007
    Now there is some serious jonesing going on. I placed my order with B&H on Monday. I still have not gotten the ship notice on my lens. I am pretty certain that it is my bank screwing with the funds.

This is not fun waiting. I was hoping to get out and shoot with it this weekend.

Time to call the bank and throw a fit.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,921 moderator
    edited January 17, 2007
    Can I suggest that you place another order? With Really Right Stuff for the
    replacement foot for the 500/f4. That will allow you to use the lense without
    the plate for a more secure connection to the head as well as to use the lens
    with a monopod w/o having to take the plate off the lens. You won't need the
    other lens plate.

Also, the 500 is "small" enough that the Wimberly Sidekick would work. The
    benefit of the sidekick over the larger head is that you don't need to remove
    the whole gimbal mount to use the tripod for something else--mind you the
    sidekick is not nearly as nice as the full head but if you're traveling, it does
    save weight and bulk.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2007
    Ian, Thanks for the suggestions. I did look at the RRS replacement foot and may go that route a little later. I can then move the P40 plate to another lens.

As for the sidekick, I did lot of reading on that subject. Most of the people I respect said that the 400 f2.8, 500 f4, and the 600 f4 should not be used on the sidekick. From their comments they indicate that the sidekick is great for smaller lenses but tends to torque due to the weight of these heavier lenses. If thought about it and figured that it was cheaper in the long run to go ahead and get the full gimbal head.
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,921 moderator
    edited January 17, 2007
    docwalker wrote:
    IAs for the sidekick, I did lot of reading on that subject. Most of the people I respect said that the 400 f2.8, 500 f4, and the 600 f4 should not be used on the sidekick. From their comments they indicate that the sidekick is great for smaller lenses but tends to torque due to the weight of these heavier lenses. If thought about it and figured that it was cheaper in the long run to go ahead and get the full gimbal head.

Works for me. I've seen guys running the 600 with 1dmkII body and no
    problems. Me? Only the 500.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited January 17, 2007
    I used a Canon 500f4 on a Sidekick all last year without any problems.

You do need a first rate ball head that will really hold the Sidekick in the proper vertical orientation. I have use the RRS Bh-55 ball head and the large Arca-Swiss head as well with a Sidekick.

A Sidekick is a lot lighter than the Wimberly gimbal mount and easier to pack. I carry both now, so I am familiar with and use both.

From what I have read, lots of folks use a Sidekick for the 500f4, but not the 600f4 or bigger lenses like the Sigmonster.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2007
    UPS is scheduled to deliver tomorrow.

It was a little late to change the order. I think I will be happy with it either way. The part that stinks is that we have ice and sleet inbound.

So if the delivery does not get delayed, it will be a crappy weekend to go shoot. I am not really a [SIZE=-1]pessimist but I know how UPS is. They take exception on everything here. Its a bummer because I have the weekend free, the wife is out of town for training.

So do you guys have any advice on filters for this monster? Polarizer, and the like?

[/SIZE]
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited January 18, 2007
    I have the Canon polarizing filter ( 52mm drop in ) for the 500f4, but truthfully, I have not used it. That's $167 bucks going to waste I guess. :D

For wildlife it is probably of less usefullness, than for shooting landscapes ( I think anyway )

Usually for shooting wildlife the costs in lost light are too high ( 1 - 2 fstops ) Shooting landscapes on a tripod, that loss of light might be moot.

I don't use a polarizer for digital as much as I did for film, but it certainly can help with reflections from water surfaces, and increases color saturation.

The Sigmonster comes with a circular polarizing filter included. Who'd have thought!?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited January 19, 2007
    It came this morning. Good lord this thing is huge. It makes my 70-200 f2.8L look tiny.

I did not get the extra bushing required to mount the P40 plate properly so I have to order that.

I now have to email my buddy to see if he can head out to the hawk rookery.
    SmugMug Support Hero