Problem reporting clarification 2007

kansaschuckkansaschuck Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
edited January 2, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Happy New Year!

I could use some direction on problem reporting. I have two significant problems outstanding and I'd like to make sure I've reported them correctly.

I see a note that there is a new reporting systems at:
http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/WikiAccount

But at that location I haven't found a location that seems to be holding bugs reports.

Also I have one problem mentioned on the API thread. But I have another problem that I've work exclusively via email with the help desk.

To insure they are properly recorded, what do I officailly need to do?

Problem 1 PHP 1.2.0
/php/1.2.0/?method=smugmug.images.changeSettings&SessionID=#&ImageID=#&AlbumID=#&output=php.
Command come back 'ok' but picture is 'lost', sometimes moves, sometimes ends up is limbo. Open report in API thread.

Problem 2 Email upload interface.
The email pic upload interface doesn't accept some email pics. Pictures sent via 'direct delivery' or emails sent thru an second account that forwards them to smugmug or pictures sent by the forwarding feature of listsever are ignored at smugmug.

My intention is not to work those problems here in this thread but to ask if I have correctly recorded these problems here at smugmug. I'm looking for some guidance for this smugmug newbie.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    The wiki bug reporter has a bug rolleyes1.gif

API bug, Don will see it if you've posted in the API forum.

Our Email uploader wasn't designed to handle the types of email you refer to. I'll make sure that our engineers see it.

In general: API Stuff in the api forum. Normal stuff via the Help Desk. We'll get the bug reporting fixed, but we have this right here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=44268
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    Andy,

Thanks for the reply. As for the email upload function you said " Our Email uploader wasn't designed to handle the types of email you refer to. I'll make sure that our engineers see it."

That gives me hope that you are sending it on to the engineers but also you say the loader wasn't designed for that.

Since my project relies heavily on this function I was wondering if you can clarify Smugmugs direction in this area. Do you see this as a limitation and that Smugmug will work for an improvement? or it this just the way to protect the interface?

It would be helpful to understand Smugmug's direction and timetable so that I could direct code development in right direction.

Thanks,
    Chuck

Hi Chuck, I can't comment either way. In fact, I might be wrong about the email uploading and how it works. I'll try and get an answer for you.
  • BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 2, 2007

Problem 2 Email upload interface.
    The email pic upload interface doesn't accept some email pics. Pictures sent via 'direct delivery' or emails sent thru an second account that forwards them to smugmug or pictures sent by the forwarding feature of listsever are ignored at smugmug.

Hi Chuck,

If email is composed in some way we didn't anticipate, it is possible it won't be picked up properly. Please send those emails the same way, only addressed to ben at smugmug instead. That way I can see how they are formatted and see what we can adjust accordingly. Thanks!
    Smug since 2003
  • kansaschuckkansaschuck Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    Ben wrote:
    Hi Chuck,

If email is composed in some way we didn't anticipate, it is possible it won't be picked up properly. Please send those emails the same way, only addressed to ben at smugmug instead. That way I can see how they are formatted and see what we can adjust accordingly. Thanks!
    ok...Thanks Ben,

I'll being sending you the different types. Ben can you give me your email address? is it
    Thanks,
    Chuck
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited January 2, 2007
    ok...Thanks Ben,

I'll being sending you the different types. Ben can you give me your email address? is it [EMAIL="
    Chuck

Hello Chuck,
    Yes, that is Ben's email address thumb.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 2, 2007
    Hi Chuck,

Okay, I received the two emails, and I know what the problem is. Because of the way you are sending it, the to: line is showing up as forward_to_smugmug@...

We are specifically looking for emails that show to: as nickname@email.smugmug.com. That way we know exactly which account to send it to, and know it is deliberately being uploaded (not a spam message).

Does that clear it up?

-Ben
    Smug since 2003
  • kansaschuckkansaschuck Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    Ben wrote:
    Hi Chuck,

Okay, I received the two emails, and I know what the problem is. Because of the way you are sending it, the to: line is showing up as forward_to_smugmug@...

We are specifically looking for emails that show to: as nickname@email.smugmug.com. That way we know exactly which account to send it to, and know it is deliberately being uploaded (not a spam message).

Does that clear it up?

-Ben

ahhhh...the mysteries of email. An email arrived at your inbox that said it was sent to another inbox. I'm been learning more about the power...and weaknesses of email. The "from" is just as exposed. It's not all that hard for me to drop an email in your box that says it's fFROM your boss and that that you've just got a raise. rolleyes1.gif

But it DID arrive at your inbox. Are you looking at the official 'To' field?

Ok..... let me think about all this.

on a side note is there any info left after loading a good email about who sent the email? The 'from' address would be very valuable to me on the 'inside'. Some secret field I could query? ?method=get.infoEmail

Chuck