No more fantastic plastic.

JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
edited January 5, 2007 in Cameras
With the death of my Canon nifty-fifty, or fantastic plastic f/1.8 II 50mm lens a while back I finally ordered it's replacement. Since I don't have $1,500 laying around to spend on a lens I decided on the Canon f/1.4 USM 50mm. I was always happy with the way the fantastic plastic worked, but the build always left me wondering just how long it would last. Well I got a good 12 years out of it, and for $80 that's pretty darn good. BTW I dropped the f/1.8 and the insides came out...not good. It was about a 3 foot drop on hard ground.

I hope I don't regret spending the $300 on the 1.4 model. It's on it's way from B&H, along with a lens hood of course.

Regret buying a lens? Who am I kidding? :D
Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D

Comments

• jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    According to the review of the 1.2, the 1.4 is great for the money.
  • erich6erich6 Registered Users Posts: 1,638 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    I love my 50mm f/1.4. You will too. No regrets!

Erich
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    Great minds think alike! thumb.gif I too have just ordered the 1.4 from B&H (with hood, of course) but not because the 1.8 broke (in fact, it's in almost new condition), but because I want the better focusing accuracy and build quality offered by the 1.4. If you had posted about your 1.8 breaking before you went and bought the 1.4, I would have offered up my 1.8 to you for cheap.

But, if you find that you are sending the 1.4 back and want another 1.8 for less than you can find it anywhere else, check out the Flea Market in a day or too!:D
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    Jeffro wrote:
    I hope I don't regret spending the $300 on the 1.4 model. It's on it's way from B&H, along with a lens hood of course.

Well it just arrived! I have to say at first glance, and with only about 10 quick snaps, I really like this 50 better than the fantastic plastic. Better feel, better build. It really makes the cheap (in price) 50 1.8 look cheap (in build). I don't think this will be a decision I regret. I'll try it out a little more before I swear to it! :D
  • jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    Jeffro wrote:
    Well it just arrived! I have to say at first glance, and with only about 10 quick snaps, I really like this 50 better than the fantastic plastic. Better feel, better build. It really makes the cheap (in price) 50 1.8 look cheap (in build). I don't think this will be a decision I regret. I'll try it out a little more before I swear to it! :D

Let's know what you think in the f/1.4 to f/2 range. I got the 50 1.8 but am tempted to get the faster lens. :oogle
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
    edited January 4, 2007
    jdryan3 wrote:
    Let's know what you think in the f/1.4 to f/2 range. I got the 50 1.8 but am tempted to get the faster lens. :oogle

Here's a quick shot of a willing subject.

121049748-L.jpg

Taken with the F/1.4 USM 50mm, on my 20D, with two AB800's, at ISO 100 1/160th at f2.0.

Here's a 100% crop....

121051516-L.jpg

Pretty darn good, don't you think? Just from the few shots I've taken, I'd say it's better the f/1.8 50mm II.

Worth the extra cash to me. :D
  • yoyoboyyoyoboy Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    I love that backdrop, it really makes things POPiloveyou.gif
    edited January 5, 2007
    yoyoboy wrote:
    I love that backdrop, it really makes things POPiloveyou.gif

Thanks....but what about the lens? ne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    How is the focus speed compared to the 1.8? I'm sure it is quiter too.
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

5D MkII | 30D | 50mm f1.8 II | 85mm f1.8 | 24-70mm f2.8
    L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Manfrotto 3021BPRO with 322RC2
    edited January 5, 2007
    RTP wrote:
    How is the focus speed compared to the 1.8? I'm sure it is quiter too.

Obviously I can no longer do a side by side comparrison of the two. But the 1.4 is quiter, faster, and just seems all around better. I had heard that it's connection to the camera is not the best, and I found it to go on my 20D a tadd tight...not as easy as my other lenses. I don't have to force it though. The lens hood is nice too, it makes the lens look a little sexier....mwink.gif

I am really pleased with this lens, and can only imagine how good the 1.2L could possibly be...headscratch.gif