Grace in B&W. Would this be considered high key?

kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
edited January 3, 2007 in People
I'm not very good at B&W conversion and I kind of like this "type" of look to B&W.
The original was kind of soft so it wasn't so good in color, but I liked the shot so I tired this.

Is this too much? Not enough?

Thanks
Gene
119890165-L.jpg

Comments

• photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    High key generally means that the whole photo is bright, not just a portion.

I think you're on the right track here, but I think it's too blown out. You are losing too many of her cute features and details in this processing. I would darken the face a bit (or maybe just lower the contrast) and I think it'll be better. You'll get more detail, which is good. There's so much detail in her hair that to have less in the main focus of the image, the face, you lose impact. (Also, watch for the cropping off of the chin - I find that a little distracting personally.)

Anyway, that's my take!

Adorable baby! Cute shot!
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    A little over-expose - tone down a lot.
  • kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    High key generally means that the whole photo is bright, not just a portion.

I think you're on the right track here, but I think it's too blown out. You are losing too many of her cute features and details in this processing. I would darken the face a bit (or maybe just lower the contrast) and I think it'll be better. You'll get more detail, which is good. There's so much detail in her hair that to have less in the main focus of the image, the face, you lose impact. (Also, watch for the cropping off of the chin - I find that a little distracting personally.)

Anyway, that's my take!

Adorable baby! Cute shot!

Thanks for the tips. As for the crop, well......it's not cropped so no chin for her:D

I'll take another shot and tone down the face and see what comes out of it.

Gene
  • kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    Seneca wrote:
    A little over-expose - tone down a lot.

Thanks, I'll give it another shot. It's nice to have other opinions as I tend not to see the whole picture so to speak.

Gene
  • CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    Way blown out. Your contrast is WAY too high -- did you crank the levels a lot? It looks like it was printed on RC5 paper :-)