Options

What should smugmug award the big referrers?

BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
edited January 26, 2005 in SmugMug Support
First, a confession: onethumb and I made a pact that if we ever got to 92 subscribers/day profitably, and with good customer satisfaction, we'd dye our hair green.

Well... I suppose this constitutes a good photo op for Andy, because I just bought a jar of ELECTRIC LIZARD GREEN MANIC PANIC CREAM HAIR DYE PUNK. It glows under UV...

What thrills us most is the passion and fun of it all with the subscribers we have. Photo contests. Shootouts in Yosemite. Nikolai's Explorer. Great feature suggestions. Families staying close even while separated by continents and war. Pros making their lives easier.

So the question is what to do for people like Jesus Perez, Andy, and Wesley Chan at Google who refer so many customers to us? They already have their subscription fees paid for more than two decades.

Howz about we put together a page of gifts and when your referrals get to certain levels, you get some? Which begs the question of what would be good gifts. Cool smugmug apparel for a few referals, toys like mini iPods for more?

And a car for the person who gets Oprah to mention us?

Ideas welcome as long as they don't break the bank.

Thanks,
Baldy

Comments

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2005
    How about a cash kickback? deal.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2005
    I will have to get to work on that Oprah thing... :D
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2005
    I dont know but i assume your O/S client numbers are growing also & i think that free subscriptions would be easier than sending prizes.

Out of curiosity...what is your world demographic like ? You can stab me with a screwdriver once you have disclosed it.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2005
    Stock options?
    And thanks a lot for your referral:-)

Cheers!1drink.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2005
    iPod mini type stuff is always popular. Can't go wrong with consumr electronics, folks love those cutting edge toys.

What's that line in Bull Durham? "Candle sticks make a nice gift." lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2005
    I was personally touched when you guys upgraded my account. iloveyou.gif Nothing like good-ole fashioned recognition. But I'm simple like that.

I think it would be nice if there was a page where members could redeem referrals for merchandise.

i.e.

1-5 referrals=free 8x10 print
    6-10=free 16x20 print
    11-20=free album
    21-30=etc, etc.

Ofcourse, the gifts would have to be more or less proportional to the value of the referral. But it's just an idea.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF

• Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2005
    Thanks for all the hard work you and your staff do for the web site.

Memory cards would be a nice gift.

16mb for 50 referals maybe
    64mb for 150 referals
    128 for 300 referals
    256 for over 1000 referals maybe

good luck,
    Chuck
    I was personally touched when you guys upgraded my account. iloveyou.gif Nothing like good-ole fashioned recognition. But I'm simple like that.

I think it would be nice if there was a page where members could redeem referrals for merchandise.

i.e.

1-5 referrals=free 8x10 print
    6-10=free 16x20 print
    11-20=free album
    21-30=etc, etc.

Ofcourse, the gifts would have to be more or less proportional to the value of the referral. But it's just an idea.
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2005
    i hope your ship (ment) comes in fast...
    Baldy wrote:
    First, a confession: onethumb and I made a pact that if we ever got to 92 subscribers/day profitably, and with good customer satisfaction, we'd dye our hair green.

Well... I suppose this constitutes a good photo op for Andy, because I just bought a jar of ELECTRIC LIZARD GREEN MANIC PANIC CREAM HAIR DYE PUNK. It glows under UV...

i will see you, and onethumb, friday afternoon for our shoot. lol3.gif

can't wait deal.gif
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2005
    Hmm, I guess I'm overestimating the whole thing...
    Memory cards would be a nice gift.
    16mb for 50 referals maybe
    64mb for 150 referals
    128 for 300 referals
    256 for over 1000 referals maybe
    Memory cards (as any other CE:-) is a nice gift idea , but...
    You cannot be serious about 16Mb, can you?
    It would hold ONE "raw" shot - or two, if you're lucky:-)

My daughters use 256Mb CFs (in their 3-4 MP compact cams) only because I happen to have a few already (and I am cheap:-). But I - personally - would not even think about bying anything less than 1 gig nowadays..

Besides... Come think of it, 1,000 referrals would bring you - pinky next to the mouth:-) - t e n t h o u s a n d d o l l a r s ! ... :-)
    I would think a person with this amount of "spare change" can shell out a couple of hundreds and get himself (at least one) nice 2Gb CF Ultra II x80:-) rather than relying on "a free 256Mb".

Which bring an interesting question: can "referral money" be withdrawn as a regular ones? I currently don't have too much of them, so they would still come handy in paying for the account for the future years, but for the guys like Andy it would make total sense to use them now rather than waiting "two decades", during which time they will most certainly accumulate more...:-)

As it has already been said - cash is always a great gift:-)thumb.gif Even if it can only be used to pay for smugmug-related services, but simply beyond the subscription, e.g. for the prints, or whatever future services smugmug can render...

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2005
    Just to give you guys an idea of what levels I was thinking, in addition to your free years, (Baldy and I haven't talked this specific, so these are just ballparks):

16 = 1GB flash card
    50 = iPod Mini
    80 = 40GB iPod
    320 = Canon 20D
    1600 = Canon 1DS Mark II
    5000 = nice new car
    40000 = new Ferrari
    Oprah/Jay Leno = cars, company ownership, firstborn children

There'd be plenty of other stuff in there too, including smugmug shwag, other geek photog toys, etc. That's just a quick guess.

I think we'd like to have special yearly prizes too for whoever brought in the most in a given year, whoever had the most creative method of referring people, and a prize for the person who brought the most in without actually getting referral bonuses (like Jesus' mention in the travel mag. I think he wins for 2004).

Thoughts?

Don
  • Options
    SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2005
    onethumb wrote:
    320 = Canon 20D

Don

'Gus!!! clap.gifclap.gif problem solved thumb.gif
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited January 8, 2005
    Great ideas, OT and Baldy clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Since these people have really helped make your sites a success, it's only fitting that you recognize and reward them. Not that everyone/every company would. So I applaud you guys ylsuper.gif you're showing lots of class here thumb.gif

I'm sure most of the "referrers" didn't plan on being compensated for referring people. Which is even more of a reason to reward them, IMHO. Whatever you guys come up with will probably be fair. Stock is always good, so are camera/photo goodies. The Ferrari was really a nice thought :lol

I was turned on to this place (and to a Smugmug Pro acct), by one of your main referrers. Many of the folks I run into, are here because of his referrals. I've thanked him, but it would be nice if you guys took care of him too mwink.gif

Let's see 320 referrals = a 20D So I'd need about 1200 referrals for a 400mm F2.8L rolleyes1.gif

Again, good thinking guys,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2005
    I think 2 referrals should get something big. Definitley, 2 should get something big. Not that I have 2 referrals or anything:D
    But seriously, have you guys run the numbers? I would think those referral levels would get a lot of people a lot of nice things = less money for smugmug. I mean, giving away subscription time is really giving away nothing to you, but getting a lot for us.
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2005
    I say
    onethumb wrote:
    Just to give you guys an idea of what levels I was thinking, in addition to your free years, (Baldy and I haven't talked this specific, so these are just ballparks):

16 = 1GB flash card
    50 = iPod Mini
    80 = 40GB iPod
    320 = Canon 20D
    1600 = Canon 1DS Mark II
    5000 = nice new car
    40000 = new Ferrari

There'd be plenty of other stuff in there too, including smugmug shwag, other geek photog toys, etc. That's just a quick guess.

I think we'd like to have special yearly prizes too for whoever brought in the most in a given year, whoever had the most creative method of referring people, and a prize for the person who brought the most in without actually getting referral bonuses (like Jesus' mention in the travel mag. I think he wins for 2004).

Thoughts?

Don
    I think you guys already have a decent idea what a "fair" prize award would be. We all here love "toys", gagets, camera accessories, extra memory, etc. You also know your ballpark, your budget and can estimate the vallue of the "referrer". And you also know that probably nobody here does referrals for the sake of it - they all "just happen".
    I guess, I'm saying - whatever you guys come out with will be gratefully acceptedthumb.gif

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2005
    onethumb wrote:

16 = 1GB flash card
    50 = iPod Mini
    80 = 40GB iPod
    320 = Canon 20D
    1600 = Canon 1DS Mark II
    5000 = nice new car
    40000 = new Ferrari

It's no secret that I'm a major Mac/Apple/iPod guy, but don't forget the Epson P-1000. Looks to be pretty cool for us photogs.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2005
    I like the idea of rewarding referrals that don't use the referral codes. It's a crapshoot whether someone referred chooses to do that! I just exhaustively went through a smugmug-raison d'etre with my pro equine photog group in response to the solicitation that printroom sent out to many of our members recently. The original poster wanted to know about other services and after my first big reply, stated that she'd put the printroom thingy up there just because she wanted to know more about smugmug and knew I'd respond. :-) Anyway, it's had 134 views and who knows what will happen, I haven't mentioned the referral setup because it would seem like soliciting.

Oh, and FWIW, the need for printing a licensing statement on the back of the photos along with an image number is keeping some of these pros away.

Lynne
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2005
    onethumb wrote:

16 = 1GB flash card
    50 = iPod Mini
    80 = 40GB iPod
    320 = Canon 20D
    1600 = Canon 1DS Mark II
    5000 = nice new car
    40000 = new Ferrari

Thoughts?

Don

*sigh* I wish I was more sociable and knew more photogs!

Your list looks very generous. You guys are a class act.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2005
    wxwax wrote:

Your list looks very generous. You guys are a class act.

I'll second that.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2005
    What about software? PS upgrades or full version, even those that have it may want a second copy for another machine. ne_nau.gif Even other photo programs would be helpful. There are a lot of programs that run with PS or independently that many people would like to have, but don't want to pay full fare for, iview, extensis products, C1, Nik, other Adobe products, etc. It would give you a good range of values also. These also all promote more photography and give you options for those that may already have an ipod or shoot with other than Canon cameras.

It would also seem that your over 50 referrals might be a smaller number, you could simply do a customized award. Once you have done a few list what they received for x # of referrals, making your big referrers feeling very important and knowing that you are very appreciative. bowdown.gif
  • Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2005
    I can't imagine getting Jay Leno to mention it, but I bet smugmug is the kind of thing Oprah might recommend (my mom watches, Oprah's always giving away free stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if she gave a free year of smugmug to everyone). You think if I send an e-mail every day to Oprah she'd eventually recommend it? I bet if you all said you'd give 1 year free membership to everybody in the audience she'd recommend it. If you try that, can I get something for the idea? I wouldn't even take your children. Not even a Ferrari. All I would ask is to have what I call The Plan put into place for my car (frame up restoration, along with some major modifications to quadruple the power...and yes, the plan is fully thought out, I just need to come up with about 55 grand).
    Richard