Need Lens Advice

B://B:// Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
edited January 8, 2007 in Cameras
$1500 budget wishing for a Canon EF L lense. Recomendations Please!!! :D

Now, the thing is I want an L lense, and I would like to know your opinion on that, I need options, let's say I use a lens for close-up frames and skateboarding tricks, then I should remark the importance of a wide end, let's say a zoom lens [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]28-70 2.8L USM or a 70-200 2.8L USM, what do you think? Let's hear what you have to say to me, thanks for the help :D
Have a great day and thanks for reading :D

Byron M.
[/SIZE][/FONT]
"... anger, frustration, deception, loneliness are its meal... don't feed him" - Donatto on Zeoneth

Comments

• MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    ahhh....
    How about:

Canon 24-70 f/2.8L ($1000)

Canon 70-200 f/4.0L ($500)

:D
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited January 2, 2007
    For shooting wide angle and up close shots of skateboarders, with a 20D, I would forego the L glass, and suggest the 17-55 f2.8 IS EF-S lens with hood for about $1050. Fast, sharp, light, and wide. 24mm will not be wide enough on a 20D.

Then you could also buy the 85mm f1.8 for a closer look that focuses very fast. If you shop carefullly, or used, you will have enough funds left over to buy a 430ex flash to light your skateboarders.

L glass is lovely, but no better than other carefully selected lenses in Canon's lineup. Just a thought.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    full frame?

what about the 17-40 f/4L? people who have that lens LOVE it! however, if you're planning ons topping action like skateboards and stuff, then the f/4 might not be wide enough for you...but if it's sunny...ne_nau.gif

go to www.the-digital-picture.com and see what you can find. they pretty much have a review of every canon lens out there...see what they say.

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • sebmoursebmour Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    rosselliot wrote:
    full frame?

what about the 17-40 f/4L? people who have that lens LOVE it! however, if you're planning ons topping action like skateboards and stuff, then the f/4 might not be wide enough for you...but if it's sunny...ne_nau.gif

go to www.the-digital-picture.com and see what you can find. they pretty much have a review of every canon lens out there...see what they say.

- RE

I love my 17-40 and my 70-200mm. For closeups of skateboarders, I would go 17-40. Quick, sharp and lovely colours. I don't see why you would need the IS.
    Photography is the projection of my vision and mind.

http://sebmour.smugmug.com
  • B://B:// Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    Thanks everybody, what about the EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM? I can find it cheaper than its original price, what do you say, kind of wide, and a good range for the "tele" end.

Byron M.
    "... anger, frustration, deception, loneliness are its meal... don't feed him" - Donatto on Zeoneth
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited January 3, 2007
    It is great lens and I love it on a 5D, but 24mm is not wide enough on a APS sensor camera like the 30D. On a 30D, 24mm is almost a normal lens.

That is why I suggested the 17-85.

The 17-55 f2.8 IS is also a very nice choice and cheaper than the 24-105 L

Tamron makes an f2.8 17-50 lens also. 50 x 1.5 crop factor = 80mm on a full frame body which is mild telephoto.

The guys shooting BMX and skateboards tend to get real close, which is why the 17mm is suggested.

If you don't need the wide angle, the 24-105 L is a great lens - there have been several threads about it here, this is the largest thread
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • B://B:// Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    It is great lens and I love it on a 5D, but 24mm is not wide enough on a APS sensor camera like the 30D. On a 30D, 24mm is almost a normal lens.

That is why I suggested the 17-85.

The 17-55 f2.8 IS is also a very nice choice and cheaper than the 24-105 L

Tamron makes an f2.8 17-50 lens also. 50 x 1.5 crop factor = 80mm on a full frame body which is mild telephoto.

The guys shooting BMX and skateboards tend to get real close, which is why the 17mm is suggested.

If you don't need the wide angle, the 24-105 L is a great lens - there have been several threads about it here, this is the largest thread
    You're right about the 35mm factor... but you missed, it's actually a 1.6x factor for my 20Drolleyes1.gif... wait, that's actually sad :cry!
    And yes, a 17-55 f2.8 IS would be bad, I like the stabilization feature (I always have had a certain attraction for those ones mwink.gif) but the 50mm end isn't that telephoto zoom end at all, I mean, I'm trying to get something pretty general, a very good hybrid headscratch.gif
    Maybe I should save some money and get a 5D or just use my 1D MarkII I have for emergencies :ivar rolleyes1.gif

Thank you very much, I'm still thinking about this pretty serious headscratch.gif
    Thanks for all the help Pathfinder, you're nice :D

See you around

Byron M.
  • seawolf66seawolf66 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited January 8, 2007
    The 17-85mm EF-S IS USM is a nice all around lens ,I use it more than anything else, especialy when walking around ,But I do carry my 80-200mm lens just in case: 17mm on 1.6 factor comes out to be 27 mm on the EOS 20 D which I also have:thumb.gifthumb.gif
    seawolf66-

“the farther back we look the farther forward we see.”—A. Theodore Kachel
    http://www.lauren-macintosh.com