Options

I Need Your Help FAST!!!!!

vandecarrvandecarr Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
edited January 3, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
I need some help fast. I have to put together a directory for a church.

It will have a picture of each person or family (a small one of course) along with their address, email, phone number, etc...

HERE IS THE PROBLEM...

I have never put together something like this before. I do mostly sports and portraits like most people do with 4x6, 5x7, 8x10, 11x17...you get the picture, no pun intended.

Anyway, If you have any info on how to go about this directory thing, I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks,
Mike V

Comments

• Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    vandecarr wrote:

It will have a picture of each person or family (a small one of course) along with their address, email, phone number, etc...

HERE IS THE PROBLEM...

I have never put together something like this before. I do mostly sports and portraits like most people do with 4x6, 5x7, 8x10, 11x17...you get the picture, no pun intended.

Anyway, If you have any info on how to go about this directory thing, I'd very much appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Mike V

Mike, where are you located? I have a few designer friends that do this very thing for a living....layout directories, yearbooks etc.

Without software like InDesign/Quark, and at least intermediate layout experience, this is going to be fairly difficult. Good luck-- I'm sure there are a TON of designers in your area looking for freelance work!

lynne
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    vandecarr wrote:

HERE IS THE PROBLEM...

Thanks,
    Mike V

How familiar are you with Photoshop? You can lay it all out there and then you just need someplace to print it. Find the place that will print what you want then create a page(document) that matches the printers requirements.

Do you have a church directory example to go from, if not find one.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    bham wrote:
    How familiar are you with Photoshop? You can lay it all out there and then you just need someplace to print it. Find the place that will print what you want then create a page(document) that matches the printers requirements.

Do you have a church directory example to go from, if not find one.

photoshop is not really meant to manage multipage layouts like this....quark and indesign have autoflow and master pages, style sheets for type, the list goes on of features that really save time and headache (and errors for that matter). For example, you're on page 26 and realize you missed someone alphabetically....if you did this in photoshop you'd have to manually re-adjust the subsequent pages. Q and InD can automate the adjustment - the images as well as the coordinating text.

Just my $0.02. If his church only has 30 members photoshop might work.
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    photoshop is not really meant to manage multipage layouts like this....quark and indesign have autoflow and master pages, style sheets for type, the list goes on of features that really save time and headache (and errors for that matter). For example, you're on page 26 and realize you missed someone alphabetically....if you did this in photoshop you'd have to manually re-adjust the subsequent pages. Q and InD can automate the adjustment - the images as well as the coordinating text.

Just my $0.02. If his church only has 30 members photoshop might work.

My suggestion came from the fact that, a unless the person is a designer they are unlikely to have either of those programs and thus wouldn't have asked the question. So ideally yes those are great, but they said fast. Getting those programs then learning the basics of navigating would take more time than just doing something to get by in photoshop for this time.

Also they are some companies out there that do bound books and they provide the dimensions, etc with blank photoshop pages. I think you start by figuring out where and how you are gonna print it and then figure out what to use to do it.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me