Options

Providing a Framing Service

davidryandavidryan Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
edited January 7, 2007 in Mind Your Own Business
Hello all--

I did a search on this topic but didn't find anything except "digital" framing (adding pixels around your shot). So I thought I'd ask.

Does anyone else here provide the service of framing of your work (whether it be your stock or commissioned work)?

If you do, how do you charge to cover your bases and still make a profit?

I recently had someone purchase several prints from my smugmug site but they wanted them framed and asked if I would do it. They read a mentioning on my site that I frame things myself and at a much cheaper rate than professional shops charge. Including the material and time and the actual print, an 8X10, double matted and framed cost this person 100 dollars. Out of curiosity I called around and got estimates from others and they would charge anywhere from 150 to 200 dollars per 8X10 for what I did for 100, including shipping. Framing is easy and it took me maybe an hour and half to finish it and the recipient was very impressed by the work, she order more.

So my question stands-- how many of you offer this service and how do you charge for the service?

It's really nice to see your work in a finished product, too. :barb

Comments

• Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    A friend of mine suggested this to me, too, and I had thought about it. But my husband had a good point: Do you want to be known as a photographer or as a framer?

My answer is a photographer.

But I was still considering it and he brought up a few good points: Generally, when you frame something, you want to use a frame that's appropriate to that image and that helps it stand out. You want to use the right mats (from an artistic perspective), everything should be archival and it should be sealed on the back.

While I can certainly do all that, I don't want to invest the time and effort and money to build up all the mats for the customer to actually place on the photo to see which work best, I don't want samples of frames hanging around my house - and I really don't want to rely on doing everything online because what if the colors aren't quite right? Or the frame wasn't exactly what I expected? Too much liability.

(As a side note, I know that using AmericanFrames.com is relatively easy and cheap and you can get a good price.... That's what I was thinking of doing.)

He recommended instead to sit down with a few frame shops and see what kinds of deals you can work with them. Can they give good deals to your customers? Can you have them do the work exclusively and they give YOU the good deal and you get a small cut to cover gas costs? Can they put together standard frame sets if you think that's the direction you'll go?

Or - what I'd probably consider - can you put together some "cheat sheets" to help your customers do it themselves? Or have them order everything and for $X an hour, you'll put it together?

Like I said, I've thought about it - maybe just offering X, Y, Z frames and A, B, C mats and that's all - but I think it opens a bigger can of worms. Will it really increase your bottom line? Or do you think it's a lot of fun? Just some thoughts!

Good luck with your decision!
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    This question really struck a nerve with me.

PhotogMomma, do you want to be known as a photographer, or have a successful photography business? The answer is you can do both, but you will need to work at it, and maybe even provide a service you might not want to at first.

I don’t know if this is the first rule in business, but it’s in the top ten. Make it easy for the customer to do business with you.

Here is an example: You and I have photos of a comparable quality, and the customer can’t make up their mind between them. When the customer starts asking if we can mat or frame, and your answer is no, and mine is yes, guess what? I am making it easier for the customer to buy from me.

An even better example is Smugmug! They are doing everything possible to make it easy for you and me to do business with them. They have a great attitude, and that along with the technical competence has created a successful, and growing company. Don’t we want to do the same?

You want your clients to think of you as the go to person for photography related questions. You don’t have to know everything, but if you can offer them a basic matting, and framing option, and provide good information with regard to framing along with a few local framers who you have audited. (you might even be able to, as someone else mentioned, negotiate a small discount for anyone bringing in your photo, and business card.)

Currently I offer four options. I can provide the print only, for those that need or desire a custom color, or style frame. I also offer the print fully matted, with foam core backing in ether white or black. All material is rated acid free and archival. Most are sized so that the outside dimensions will fit a standard frame the customer can purchase at any frame or discount store. Last, I offer the print completely matted, and framed. I only stock the black Nielsen frames. This is a good quality frame and provides a nice museum or gallery look. Almost forgot, the last option is canvas with a gallery wrap ready for hanging on the wall.

There is a BIG difference between a great photographer, and a successful photographer.

That’s my thoughts on the subject!

Sam
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    Sam wrote:
    This question really struck a nerve with me.

PhotogMomma, do you want to be known as a photographer, or have a successful photography business? The answer is you can do both, but you will need to work at it, and maybe even provide a service you might not want to at first.

I don’t know if this is the first rule in business, but it’s in the top ten. Make it easy for the customer to do business with you.

Here is an example: You and I have photos of a comparable quality, and the customer can’t make up their mind between them. When the customer starts asking if we can mat or frame, and your answer is no, and mine is yes, guess what? I am making it easier for the customer to buy from me.

An even better example is Smugmug! They are doing everything possible to make it easy for you and me to do business with them. They have a great attitude, and that along with the technical competence has created a successful, and growing company. Don’t we want to do the same?

You want your clients to think of you as the go to person for photography related questions. You don’t have to know everything, but if you can offer them a basic matting, and framing option, and provide good information with regard to framing along with a few local framers who you have audited. (you might even be able to, as someone else mentioned, negotiate a small discount for anyone bringing in your photo, and business card.)

Currently I offer four options. I can provide the print only, for those that need or desire a custom color, or style frame. I also offer the print fully matted, with foam core backing in ether white or black. All material is rated acid free and archival. Most are sized so that the outside dimensions will fit a standard frame the customer can purchase at any frame or discount store. Last, I offer the print completely matted, and framed. I only stock the black Nielsen frames. This is a good quality frame and provides a nice museum or gallery look. Almost forgot, the last option is canvas with a gallery wrap ready for hanging on the wall.

There is a BIG difference between a great photographer, and a successful photographer.

That’s my thoughts on the subject!

Sam

Those are some excellent points! I'm definitely going to keep those in the back of my mind...

But I think for me right now, framing shouldn't be part of what I offer. I'm truly brand new to being a pro photographer and feel I have way too much to learn on that side - and then to toss in framing... I just don't have the time or the bandwidth to do both. But that's just me.

I'm definitely going to revisit this later when I get more established. Since none of the other photographers in my small town except for one (who does a mediocre job at both, I'm afraid) offer that (as far as I've been able to tell) I'm going to hold off.

And this is why I love message boards - seeing all sides of an issue (or opportunity!) can be really helpful! Thanks for your more than 2¢! :D
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    I don't know if I count because I don't consider my photography a "business" per se, though I have sold a fair number of prints. Almost all of them were requested by the customer to be framed and ready to hang.

This was an issue for me because I have no experience in framing anything myself and am picky about the quality of my work that I present to people. But I shopped around and found a good local framing shop that does good work - and after talking with them and doing some business they manage to do a fully matted/framed 8x12 print for less than $70 apiece.

I don't know about using framing businesses online, but this is just my experience and I found that it's worked very well. I also am much more willing to support small businesses and build a relationship with the owners than anything else if I have even the hint of any other option!

A photographer friend of mine highly recommends doing the framing herself, which does offer the benefit of being able frame at-will and cut down the wait time. I suppose if you're confident about your framing abilities and it turns out to be cheaper for you, then go for it.
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2007
    Let me add one more thing. Full-blown framing is probably not what most of us wants to get into. It is a discipline, and art unto it's self, but a simple hinge mount using, high quality precut acid free material is pretty easy, the quality is very good, and it's archival.

Sam
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited January 5, 2007
    I recently framed a few prints for relatives for holiday gifts. Due to a serious lack of supply I had to cut my own matting. This was a PITA. That said, it was also not as difficult as one might think to get a decent result. I'm not yet at the point where I'd sell my matting jobs but I will definitely be using them to display my own work in my house and perhaps in public spaces if the chance arises.

I also leanred just how ridiculously expensive framing really is at the retail level. There is good profit to be made if you can learn to frame well.
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2007
    truth wrote:

I also leanred just how ridiculously expensive framing really is at the retail level. There is good profit to be made if you can learn to frame well.
    Exactly-- and have you ever had something professionally framed-- it can often take a long time considering their workload. My workload is not much but I do enjoy framing the photos people ask me to. And as with anything, framing and matting are easy, with the right tools. My straight-edge with cutter was bought for roughly 15 dollars and its paid for itself...oh...well many times over.

And regarding the stock on hand-- most board come in 3X2 feet sheets, archival quality, and cost roughly 7 dollars each-- and if you use such stores are Hobby Lobby, you can often get them much cheaper.

I don't know why anyone would want to frame their own work when given the chance. You decide how a photo is created, but you give up the chance to decide how it'll be shown?

For me, I'll keep offering the service.
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2007
    Truth,

I'm not sure I understand when you say you wouldn't sell your matting jobs??

I try to buy high quality precut mats, but it seems I am ending up with more odd sizes prints lately.

I bought a Logan mat cutter last year. I have the entry level, and the cost was under $100.00. While I wouldn’t recommend it for anything resembling a production run, it’s fine for one offs, or small numbers. It provides me with the ability to mat that odd size print immediately. The quality is very good, and I have no qualms about selling prints I have custom matted. You just need to take your time and be a little careful.

Davidryan,

I don’t see how it’s possible to cut a mat with only a straight edge. How do you cut the 45-degree bevel window opening?

As for the statement that framing is ridiculously expensive, isn’t that what many say about photography? I mean get a grip, all you do is press a button, take a card to Costco, pay $2.00 for a print, and you want how much? That’s ridiculous! Get the idea? There is more to owning, and operating a frame shop at a profit than at first meets the eye.

Sam
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2007
    Sam wrote:
    Truth,

Davidryan,

I don’t see how it’s possible to cut a mat with only a straight edge. How do you cut the 45-degree bevel window opening?

As for the statement that framing is ridiculously expensive, isn’t that what many say about photography? I mean get a grip, all you do is press a button, take a card to Costco, pay $2.00 for a print, and you want how much? That’s ridiculous! Get the idea? There is more to owning, and operating a frame shop at a profit than at first meets the eye.

Sam

I don't just use a straight edge-- it is a mat cutter all I meant by saying this is that the equipment is minimal at best. And framing in general is rather easy especially if you have the right tools. I don't want to own or operate a framing shop but for those of us who sell the occassional photo and the buyer wants it framed, I'm more than happy to do it and much cheaper than what the professional shops are doing it at. That was my whole point to this post.