Canon lens servicing?

El KiwiEl Kiwi Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
edited January 3, 2007 in Cameras
So, as part of the sad story related here, it seems I have to get my Canon EF-S 17-55 lens cleaned. If I get Canon to do this, should it be covered by warranty (the lens is only 4 months old)? What is the process? I believe I have to mail it back to them?

Sigh... what a pain.
Constructive criticism always welcome!
"Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

Comments

• JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    El Kiwi wrote:
    So, as part of the sad story related here, it seems I have to get my Canon EF-S 17-55 lens cleaned. If I get Canon to do this, should it be covered by warranty (the lens is only 4 months old)? What is the process? I believe I have to mail it back to them?

Sigh... what a pain.

Dust happens.....don't freak out if it doesn't show in the photo's.....it would have to be a ton of dust to cause a problem. Been there, worried about that...got over it.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited January 2, 2007
    I agree with Jethro.

A few dust motes insides a lens have no effect on the image quality at all. Even small air bubbles within a lens element ( not on its surface ) have almost no effect.

I am sure Canon does not consider dust removal as warranty work either.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2007
    El Kiwi wrote:

Sigh... what a pain.

And... it's no big deal if you decide to send it back for service. You ship it to a service center close to you with a note explaining the problem. They e-mail you an estimate, if you approve the cost, they'll get it mailed back to you in about a week.

I've sent a lens into the Irvine Canon Service center and was pleased with the speed, cost, and service.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• El KiwiEl Kiwi Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    Thanks guys! The internet can make you neurotic... and I certainly haven't noticed any problems in practice.
    Constructive criticism always welcome!
    "Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius