Mowgli is Homesick

ajroahkniajroahkni Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
edited January 4, 2007 in People
Hi all, my name is John, here is my first post!

120463304-L.jpg

Can someone help me with cropping/levels? I was getting the tripod ready to do the whole sunset thing, and a little kid jumped up onto the fence in front of me - reminds me of Mowgli from the Jungle Book. It turned out to be the best photo I took that afternoon.

Thanks!

John

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    John,
    ajroahkni wrote:
    Hi all, my name is John, here is my first post!

Can someone help me with cropping/levels? I was getting the tripod ready to do the whole sunset thing, and a little kid jumped up onto the fence in front of me - reminds me of Mowgli from the Jungle Book. It turned out to be the best photo I took that afternoon.

Thanks!

John

Welcome to Dgrin! iloveyou.gif
    Great first entry! thumb.gifclap.gif
    I'll work on this and repost later! deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited January 3, 2007
    Here's my version
    I decided to make it kinda duotone (since the original was almost one already), but give it more orage/reddish treatment, since I imagine Indian sunset that way:-)
    A bit of levels: set the white point to use the whole range, also moved the midpoint a git to give the skies more range.
    Then per-channel curves to bring more skies details - the boys is already a silhlouette, so nothing to gain there.
    Finally some surface blur and a few cloning touches.
    And, as a very final step, let some of the original image to be visibale via masking.
    Hope you like it:-)
  • mereimagemereimage Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    Welcome to dgrin
    and I am looking forward to seeing more interesting shots like this. Feel free to add your story to this shot.....................Mereimage
  • JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    Hi John! That's a very good picture that could have all sorts of interesting stories put to it. Welcome to dgrin! clap.gifclap.gif
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • ajroahkniajroahkni Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    Hi guys. Nice to meet you. Thanks for the feedback.

Nikolai - I really like the accents that you added. It gives a depth that was lacking from the original shot. Thanks! I will try to replicate it on the original. And thank you so much for the instruction as well.

John
    edited January 3, 2007
    John,
    ajroahkni wrote:
    Nikolai - I really like the accents that you added. It gives a depth that was lacking from the original shot. Thanks! I will try to replicate it on the original. And thank you so much for the instruction as well.

John

Thank you for the opportunity, it's a great shot all by itself and interesting material to work with! thumb.gif

Cheers! 1drink.gif
    edited January 3, 2007
    Heh, well I tried to fool around with the original - I lack the skills, and when I got into it, I realize how much artistic work you did with the sky to bring out some depth - clap.gif very impressive! And the subtle changes to tones that really work to put in character.

Wow.

bowdown.gif
    edited January 3, 2007
    John,
    ajroahkni wrote:
    Heh, well I tried to fool around with the original - I lack the skills, and when I got into it, I realize how much artistic work you did with the sky to bring out some depth - clap.gif very impressive! And the subtle changes to tones that really work to put in character.

Wow.

bowdown.gif

I'm very glad you find it useful:-)
    Stick around, and you'll get there in no time thumb.gif

I would also like to take this opportunity and to point you to a couple of places here you can start using right now:
    1) Challenges. The current challenge topic is almost a perfect match for your shot;-)
    2) Classes (also see my sig). We're still on the winter break now, but it's gonna be over this coming Friday, so you can check the history and see what's been done and then start the new semester fresh:-)

Cheers!
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    Good pic...welcome!
  • drdanedrdane Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    Welcome John!

You probably couldn't have done better if you had posed him/her(?) there yourself!

It took me a couple of years to learn enough Photoshop to be semi-decent - mostly just me and some books. You can get some coaching here, and there's a lot of good tutorials on the net, too. You can probably do what I did in just a few months.thumb.gif
    Dr Dane :rofl
    Celebrating the essence of Nature, the Human Spirit, and the Divine Presence in all
    http://www.drdane.smugmug.com or:
    http://www.inner-light-images.com

edited January 4, 2007
    drdane wrote:
    Welcome John!

You probably couldn't have done better if you had posed him/her(?) there yourself!

It took me a couple of years to learn enough Photoshop to be semi-decent - mostly just me and some books. You can get some coaching here, and there's a lot of good tutorials on the net, too. You can probably do what I did in just a few months.thumb.gif

I did take some time to browse through the tutorials and things that Nikolai showed me. It's amazing - the depth of knowledge that's here.

And you are right - it is a "her" not a him.

Thanks!

John
    edited January 4, 2007
    Brothers from the Father
    Here's another from the same day - maybe 15 minutes later or so. Also waiting for the sun to set (which ended up not spectacular or special).

These two guys are brothers - hadn't seen each other in maybe 5, maybe as much as ten years? I think it was long enough ago that they had youth on their sides when they did last stand side by side... Anyway, I'm with my tripod and the camera-holding brother's wife stands next to me and says: "Can you tell they're brothers? Their dad looked just like that too." I looked over to her, we smiled, and I snapped the photo.

120656793-L-2.jpg