Some of my wife's handmade jewelry

MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
edited January 6, 2007 in Holy Macro
I have never really taken shots of too many inanimate objects. These turned out alright, not brilliant but alright.

Blackandgolddropearring.jpg

brown_earrings2.jpg

Denim.jpg

green_drops2.jpg

Green_crochet.jpg

golden_red_earrings2.jpg

black_drops3.jpg

I like the way the light hits some of these. I use a macro lens for most of the shots so the DOF is shallow.

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    nice jewlery i liked these photos
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    nice shots! i love that nature is tied into them!
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    Maestro wrote:
    I have never really taken shots of too many inanimate objects. These turned out alright, not brilliant but alright.
    I like the way the light hits some of these. I use a macro lens for most of the shots so the DOF is shallow.

Hi there Maestro, my mother also makes jewellery, and spends hours with her light and magnifying glass at her favourite chair, making some very pretty items.

You having watched your wife make these things will know first hand how much time and effort goes into making these pieces of art.

Thank you for showing us your wifes very clever talent clap.gif ... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    jsedlak wrote:
    nice shots! i love that nature is tied into them!

Thank you. We had to go outside because I do not have a good flash so indoor photography would have been extremely difficult. My wife decided to hang the jewelry in the trees. Thanks again.
    edited January 4, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi there Maestro, my mother also makes jewellery, and spends hours with her light and magnifying glass at her favourite chair, making some very pretty items.

You having watched your wife make these things will know first hand how much time and effort goes into making these pieces of art.

Thank you for showing us your wifes very clever talent clap.gif ... Skippy

Thanks Skippy. She is a struggling artist who doesn't do much artistically although she could. It is a question of time. We both work in education so it's tough. She actually has her degree in fashion design. This is an outlet for her. She spends hours doing this! You are correct.
  • BigAlBigAl Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    I like the idea of hanging them in a tree - looks really good. Have you tried flash from the side to add some shadows? I think it could make an impact on what you're trying to do.
    edited January 5, 2007
    BigAl wrote:
    I like the idea of hanging them in a tree - looks really good. Have you tried flash from the side to add some shadows? I think it could make an impact on what you're trying to do.

Thanks for the idea. I really need to get a better flash that I can unmount and use as you describe.
  • rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    have you tried putting them on people? jewelry is meant to be hung on ears, wrists, necks, etc...not limbs (tree limbs, not people's :) ) try showing it in its "natural habitat" - - - on a body.

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2007
    rosselliot wrote:
    have you tried putting them on people? jewelry is meant to be hung on ears, wrists, necks, etc...not limbs (tree limbs, not people's :) ) try showing it in its "natural habitat" - - - on a body.

- RE

Another idea is to make yourself a light tent as I did.
    Some PVC pipe for a frame a white sheet and a coupla of those aluminium shield clamp on shop lights.
    Large slab of white paper from AC Moore(Can use any color)
    I use 2 75-100watt bulbs.
    Cost me about $25 or lil less.

Just a thought. thumb.gif

Examples

Ebay pic I took

Buttonspecialty-vi.jpg?1140639682

My Great Gramma's Tea Pot.

118001265-M.jpg
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
    edited January 6, 2007
    rosselliot wrote:

- RE

Yes, in other pictures that my wife took, the jewelry is on the body. I didn't post those because I didn't take the pictures. :D But yes, we do plan on doing more on the body.
    edited January 6, 2007
    Another idea is to make yourself a light tent as I did.
    Some PVC pipe for a frame a white sheet and a coupla of those aluminium shield clamp on shop lights.
    Large slab of white paper from AC Moore(Can use any color)
    I use 2 75-100watt bulbs.
    Cost me about $25 or lil less.

Just a thought. thumb.gif

Examples

Ebay pic I took

Buttonspecialty-vi.jpg?1140639682

My Great Gramma's Tea Pot.

118001265-M.jpg

Thanks, that is a good idea. We just might do that. It also help with my macro photography. Kill two birds with one stone. thumb.gif
  • GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2007
    Here is where I got the idea and plans!
    Yourself and others might like this idea? ne_nau.gif

http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/light_box_light_tent
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
    edited January 6, 2007
    Here is where I got the idea and plans!
    Yourself and others might like this idea? ne_nau.gif

http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/light_box_light_tent

Thanks. I bookmarked the site. I can definitely use this for more than just the jewelry. Awesome! I think I'll be heading to my local hardware store soon. :D