Options

Best Photo Paper for InkJet?

GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
edited October 25, 2007 in Technique
I have a photo grade HP Deskject 920c printer.
Does up to 2400 x 1200 dpi on premium photo paper.

Was wondering what the best paper is that won't fade over time?

I mostly use Kodak Premium Grade glossy.

Just curious as to the input. :scratch
Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2005
    Jim,

I have a 3 HP printers and I normally try to use all HP ink and paper. I have used a bit of the kodak paper but I think I have seen more fade in it than the hp paper.

just my .02
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2005
    It is almost always recommended that the best paper to use is the best paper that the manufacturer or the printer makes. For canon printers canon photo paper pro, for epson printers epson paper, for hp hp paper.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2005
    Thanx Guys
    Was just wondering about fade factor.

I saw somewhere about fade with photo's and I wanted to figure out how to best avoid it. Nothing worse that a quality pic "bleaching" on me over the years!!
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2005
    Jim

Thats the beauty of digital, if it fades a bit print ya off another copy!
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2005
    Karz wrote:
    Was just wondering about fade factor.

I saw somewhere about fade with photo's and I wanted to figure out how to best avoid it. Nothing worse that a quality pic "bleaching" on me over the years!!
    Karz,

I have just begun to research this subject so I am sure others will have more info then I do, but so far this is what i have. If you want the print to last a long (everyone has different numbers for long) time, first I would get it processed commercially. Then the mounting, framing and glass are very important. The matting, backing, material all needs to be acid free. You want to seal the print from air with this acid free material. The glass needs to provide UV protection, and you need to keep the print out of direct sunlight. Mounting and framing your print this way will not be cheap!

If anyone has any data on this please share.

Sam
  • Options
    gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2005
    I'm with Tim & Dragon. From my understanding, different paper types have different qualities, and even use different amounts of ink to print the same image. If you use paper that your printer driver doesn't know how to handle, your image will not be processed properly. You could even end up with some smearing, and it most likely won't look right...

For long lasting prints you'd need to get a printer that uses long lasting dye, and then protect the print as Sam suggested. I haven't researched printers in the last few years, but I know a few years ago my Dad settled on the Epson 2000P because of it's "archival" print quality. I'm not sure if the 2200 is the same...

Good luck!
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • Options
    Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    HP Premium Plus
    I believe your printer uses pre-Vivera dye ink such as 57, 58 etc. The best paper is the HP Premium Plus in either soft gloss or high gloss. That combo, with proper matting and glass, should last 95 years. Of course no one has lived long enough to test this lab-derived prediction!
    The only alternative that is as attractive and long lasting is the Ilford Classic Pearl (not the plain Pearl). Very similar characteristics and maybe Ilford is the OEM.
    Kodak I have had terrible experiences with on a trial, the inks ran.
    M
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    What he said
    15524779-Ti.gif I recently threw a bunch of Kodak paper in the trash. My Epson Photo R800 wouldn't print worth a hoot on it. The ink literally beaded up on it. I think, short of just sticking with the same manufacturer as your printer and ink, just experiment. My Epson inks seem to like Fuji paper as well as Epson. I used to have an HP that used the 56,57,58 inks. Meh . . .
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    jcisneyjcisney Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited October 24, 2007
    Kodak paper for Kodak AiO Inkjet printers
    Well, the Kodak inkjet paper IS customized for the Kodak All-in-One Inkjet Printers. And those printers use pigment inks rather than dye based. The Kodak paper family is microporous to work with the pigment inks. The Kodak paper even has a watermark on the back that the printers can read so it can automatically configure the printer to give the best result. Using the Kodak paper with a printer that is dye based may produce different results. Check out the Kodak All-in-One Printers if you are interested. http://www.kodak.com/go/aio
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2007
    Cool
    Good info to know. Thanks!
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.