Kodak embraces digital

StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
edited January 6, 2007 in Cameras
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sz6XjXu-oT8&eurl=
"This is a commercial that was produced for internal use. But it has become so popular, especially with employees, that Kodak has released it for external viewing. It demonstrates that Kodak not only understands it's changing business but also has a sense of humor"

:rofl

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    Booyah!

:D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 3, 2007
    I found that clip pretty amusing. In reality though, I think Kodak was one of the first companies to "embrace" digital photograhy. Here's a quote:

"HISTORY OF THE DIGITAL CAMERA: The first digital cameras for the consumer-level market that worked with a home computer via a serial cable were the Apple QuickTake 100 camera (February 17 , 1994), the Kodak DC40 camera (March 28, 1995), the Casio QV-11 (with LCD monitor, late 1995), and Sony's Cyber-Shot Digital Still Camera (1996)." Source: http://www.ucgc.org/digital_camera/past-cameras/
    I bought a Kodak DC120 1.2 MP camera in '98 I think it was, and took a lot of pictures with it. The quality of the images would probably surprise you, even today.
    Of course, everybody else has eaten Kodak's lunch since then, but that's not for lack of trying on Kodak's part.
    Cheers,
    -joel
  • PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    THat was great! I like the referrance to that presidential canidate that screamed on stage... What was his name....???
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    I have a mini-disc player. :uhoh
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 3, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Funny. I just threw out two of them the other day, which probably represented an investment of $500 at least. :cry

Goodbye, mini-disc. Hello Ipod. thumb.gif
  • controldcontrold Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Me too! eek7.gif

- Mike
    http://mikeapted.smugmug.com/

Canon 30D | 10D
    Canon 10-22 | 28-135 f3.5-5.6 | 70-200 f4L | 100-400 f4-5.6L
    Canon Speedlight 580EX
    Kenko Extension Tubes
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited January 3, 2007
    Poseidon wrote:
    THat was great! I like the referrance to that presidential canidate that screamed on stage... What was his name....???

Exactly. And that's why he's been forgotten.

Now... how many of us thought "Harry B." when this line came up... "the cute puppy and the cuddly kittens and the cooing babies" rolleyes1.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • dhlewisdhlewis Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    bellylaugh!

dale@dhlewisphotography.com
    http://dhlewisphotography.com
  • TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    I don't know who the actor is, but he's pretty freakin' funny.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:

Now... how many of us thought "Harry B." when this line came up... "the cute puppy and the cuddly kittens and the cooing babies" rolleyes1.gif

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

I did, I did, I did
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    Hahahahahahahaha!!!!
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    Sweet :D
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    kdog wrote:
    everybody else has eaten Kodak's lunch since then, but that's not for lack of trying on Kodak's part.

Got to disagree with you man. Kodak got their lunch eaten because of a decade long series of bad choices and obvious stupidity. They were a science based company (chemicals, imaging, and film) that ignored, and essentially feared, technological change. I was a Kodak baby, (Kingsport, TN born and bred) and I love that company, but there ain't no glossing over the truth.

Looks like they admit their mistakes, however. That indicates to me that they are back on the right track.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • controldcontrold Registered Users Posts: 146 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:

Howard Dean - if anyone cares, currently chairman of the DNC.

- Mike
    http://mikeapted.smugmug.com/

Canon 30D | 10D
    Canon 10-22 | 28-135 f3.5-5.6 | 70-200 f4L | 100-400 f4-5.6L
    Canon Speedlight 580EX
    Kenko Extension Tubes
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    rolleyes1.gif

That was too funny. Hopefully they come out with product to back up the attitude.
  • Lee MasseyLee Massey Registered Users Posts: 274 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    Booyah, indeed! :D

That was definately funny... They should give that actor an award. Too funny...

Lee
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    This is GREAT!!!!!clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    GO KODAK! The sensor in my E-500 is a KODAK!
  • TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    That was fantastic. I kept waiting for him to finish with "I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take it any more!!!"

Photography may be going nearly all digital, but I still really enjoy how you can't walk into a photography shop without smelling a strong whiff of fixer. :D
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:

It was unfair. I heard a good explanation of The Scream. The crowd was screaming. All Mr. Dean was doing was naturally screaming along with the rest of the enthusiastic crowd, and his scream probably sounded much like anyone else's in the room. The only difference - a critical one - was that Dean screamed into a fully powered PA system. So his scream was recorded 100x louder than anyone else's.
  • firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    I have a kodak dx3600. It was my first digicam. It died this year. I turned it on with no response. :cry
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    Justiceiro wrote:
    Got to disagree with you man. Kodak got their lunch eaten because of a decade long series of bad choices and obvious stupidity. They were a science based company (chemicals, imaging, and film) that ignored, and essentially feared, technological change. I was a Kodak baby, (Kingsport, TN born and bred) and I love that company, but there ain't no glossing over the truth.

Looks like they admit their mistakes, however. That indicates to me that they are back on the right track.

I used to live within walking distance of Kodak Park in Rochester, NY. Now I live within driving distance. It's sad watching them tear down all those buildings.

Here's George Eastman's burial marker, on the Lake Ave side of Kodak Park. He'd be rolling in his grave, except I think he was cremated. ne_nau.gif

267372868_078e5c9526.jpg

And another:
    267373000_e7d4d02dff.jpg
    What's left of Kodak Park:
    267373103_e33169971e.jpg
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    I never saw Kodak park in Rochester- I'll have to get up there before it's all gone.

The chemical plant in Tennessee (originally built to supply raw materials for film production) is pretty impressive. At one time it was the 4th largest in North America. Next time I go home I'll post some shots.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2007
    kdog wrote:
    Funny. I just threw out two of them the other day, which probably represented an investment of $500 at least. :cry

Goodbye, mini-disc. Hello Ipod. thumb.gif

I threw out my Minidisc player out 2 1/2 years ago.....rolleyes1.gif

I love how he mentioned Advantix. My sister used to use advantix. Oh boy, I hated it! (She still has the camera, but hasn't used it in at least 5 years.)
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.