mounting a print

mcbridephotosmcbridephotos Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited January 7, 2007 in Finishing School
I am planning a have a 20x30 print made from Smugmug. What's the easiest way to mount if on a sheet of foam core? I want to use the product as a poster/ad for events I will be shooting. I have used the spray mount adhesive in the past, but not mounted a print this big, want to get it right the first time. Also would it be advisable to get it laminated for protection so it would last for a while?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Cliff McBride

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited January 3, 2007
    I am interested in this discussion also.

I am wanting to mount and display a series of images - generally 13 x 19 or larger - and would prefer to do this without framing, more as a gallery type of display
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • kammermankammerman Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited January 3, 2007
    Hi Cliff,

If you anticipate using the print at many events, you may want to consider printing it as a high quality poster that can be rolled and transported in a tube. Transporting in a tube will protect the surface.

When you arrive at your event, you can unroll the print and attach it to the foamboard using velcro. You could also attach it to any other surface using velcro as well.

If you really want it mounted to foamboard, I suggest having it printed at a lab that will also do the mounting for you. If they mess up, it won't be on your dime. Then use an inexpensive frame.

For smaller size prints, you can use self-adhesive boards. The name of the vendor I've used escapes me. When I remember the name, I'll post it. Essentially I gave up doing this myself and opt for the lab to do it. Saves me lots of time and their product always looks better than what I've ever been able to achieve.

It would be great if Smugmug could offer mounting and finishing services as some point.

Lisa
    Lisa

bigtrainphotos.com (Bethesda Big Train Baseball Photos)
    Kammerman Portraits
    (Portraits, Events, Children with Special Needs, Daycare)

Photography Referral System
    edited January 4, 2007
    Vendor for adhesive mounting boards
    The vendor is Pres-On. You'll save money if you purchase directly from them:

http://www.pres-on.com/display.cgi?file=mounting

Good luck!

Lisa
    Lisa

Kammerman Portraits

• urbanariesurbanaries Registered Users Posts: 2,690 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    kammerman wrote:
    The vendor is Pres-On. You'll save money if you purchase directly from them:

http://www.pres-on.com/display.cgi?file=mounting

Good luck!

Lisa

Great thread!

Wow lisa, thanks for the link! I can't believe how cheap it is!!??? I remember my art class instructor had several gatorboard mounts and they always looked great. I could just never remember what it was called? Crocodile foam? Reptile board? etc. rolleyes1.gif

What spray/protection is recommended after the adhesion?

THX!
    Canon 5D MkI
    50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 24-70 2.8L, 35mm 1.4L, 135mm f2L
    ST-E2 Transmitter + (3) 580 EXII + radio poppers
    edited January 5, 2007
    urbanaries wrote:
    I could just never remember what it was called? Crocodile foam? Reptile board? etc. rolleyes1.gif

What spray/protection is recommended after the adhesion?

THX!
    Was it Lizard Board??:D

Sorry, I can't help you with the spray. My lab does the printing, mounting, finishing.

I'm so glad I could be of help. Feels good to return all the help I've received from the SmugMug community.

Take care,
    Lisa
    Lisa

Kammerman Portraits

• dmcreationsdmcreations Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited January 7, 2007
    Warren
    Digital Multimedia Creations
    www.digital-multimedia-creations.com