Options

>> vote for challenge 31 theme <<

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited January 20, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
please vote for the topic for challenge 31.

vote for challenge 31 theme 74 votes

predominant color - no photoshop
31% 23 votes
fire, matches or candles
36% 27 votes
garage sale poster
4% 3 votes
emotions - no photoshop
28% 21 votes

Comments

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2005
    andy wrote:
    please vote for the topic for challenge 31.
    I took the plunge and voted for emotions no photoshop.. oh dear, what have I done... no photoshop..hmmmrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2005
    please vote :D
  • Options
    blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2005
    andy wrote:
    please vote :D
    It appears we have a few that are running neck and neck :)
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 10, 2005
    that was a tough choice for me, I love the challenge of fire (tried unsuccessfully this weekend at that... VERY unsuccessful, man it's hard!), but the no-photoshop caveat in color cinched it.

I think we all know I'm a sucker for no-photoshop... wasn't it me that cried about it till we finally got one? :D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    muddykneesmuddyknees Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2005
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif I propose we do the odd one out til we can make up our minds!
    It appears we have a few that are running neck and neck :)
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2005
    muddyknees wrote:
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif I propose we do the odd one out til we can make up our minds!

It's the "no photoshop" part that holds me back. Of course, it would be hard to correct an overexposure with fire, even with photoshop. So, I gritted my teeth and went with color. :D
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    RogerRoger Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2005
    Almost no Photoshop???
    It just crossed my mind that whoever shoots RAW like myself always has to do some adjustments with Camera Raw... so, how can we set the boundaries?

Roger
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2005
    Roger wrote:
    It just crossed my mind that whoever shoots RAW like myself always has to do some adjustments with Camera Raw... so, how can we set the boundaries?

Roger
    there is a thread somewhere that explains what "no photoshop" means. Actually, it's right in the rules thread, no?

Obviously, RAW is ok. No photoshop refers to cloning, heavy use of layers, and so on. RAW is just developing, not "altering".
    Erik

• Options
    edited January 14, 2005
    taken from the last "no photoshop" challenge, #26:

this challenge is a "no photoshop" challenge. only basic editing is allowed. this includes minor adjustments in color, contrast, exposure, sharpness. black and white conversion is allowed (including toning for same). that's it - no cloning, filters, special effects, etc.

your entry must be a photograph taken inside of your house, apartment, flat, tipi, tent, igloo, or cave.

Hey Andy, you think maybe you could edit your sticky for "dgrin photo challenges" to include an asterisk that has this explanation for anytime we have a no-photoshop challenge?
    Erik

• Options
    edited January 14, 2005
    done. deal.gif
    DoctorIt wrote:

this challenge is a "no photoshop" challenge. only basic editing is allowed. this includes minor adjustments in color, contrast, exposure, sharpness. black and white conversion is allowed (including toning for same). that's it - no cloning, filters, special effects, etc.

your entry must be a photograph taken inside of your house, apartment, flat, tipi, tent, igloo, or cave.

Hey Andy, you think maybe you could edit your sticky for "dgrin photo challenges" to include an asterisk that has this explanation for anytime we have a no-photoshop challenge?
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2005
    Just a thought, it annoys me when something is no photoshop and this gets ok and that gets ok.

what if we put it on and took it off for the Challenge. Or what about that suggestion of before and after.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:

Thanks much, Erik!
    You see, I am a newbie and have not read every thread around here... yet :D
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Just a thought, it annoys me when something is no photoshop and this gets ok and that gets ok.

what if we put it on and took it off for the Challenge. Or what about that suggestion of before and after.

ginger
    Ginger, with RAW developping it is impossible not to have a bit of this and a bit of that, as purely converted RAW files are just a disaster (wrong colours, bad contrast and lightness, no sharpness at all and so on).

Besides, even with classic transparencies (negative/positive) photography, there are always minor corrections applied at the lab when printing...

Roger
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2005
    RAW bird and bird ready for triptych
    This is bird straight from RAW, started to change the exposure in RAW, then I put that back, too. So it is straight out of the camera, not that things always go this way, but some people excel at ps and some don't. g

14197958-M.jpg

14197646-M.jpg

It is not a big deal with me, I am used to it, and some might remember when I really wanted something of mine that had been burned a bit, I wanted it to come in, and it did. But sometimes it seems like the only things not allowed are the ones I can't pronounce.

Sorry, friends?thumb.gif I just wanted to show an example of something that was not that bad with no ps even though it was a RAW file.ne_nau.gif

ginger:D
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    This is bird straight from RAW, started to change the exposure in RAW, then I put that back, too. So it is straight out of the camera, not that things always go this way, but some people excel at ps and some don't. g

14197958-M.jpg

14197646-M.jpg

It is not a big deal with me, I am used to it, and some might remember when I really wanted something of mine that had been burned a bit, I wanted it to come in, and it did. But sometimes it seems like the only things not allowed are the ones I can't pronounce.

Sorry, friends?thumb.gif I just wanted to show an example of something that was not that bad with no ps even though it was a RAW file.ne_nau.gif

ginger:D
    If we carefully look at the details, we see that the RAW one is completely dull, Ginger blbl.gif

Here is a clearer example (pure RAW in the first place, of course):
    14199908-S.jpg
    14199909-S.jpg

biggrinbounce2.gifsmile6biggrinbounce2.gif

Roger
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2005
    Roger wrote:
    If we carefully look at the details, we see that the RAW one is completely dull, Ginger blbl.gif

biggrinbounce2.gifsmile6biggrinbounce2.gif

Roger
    Sorry, Ginger and Roger, but I feel like you guys don't really understand RAW files. By stating "pure RAW"... just seems like you're missing a couple details. If I'm interpreting it correctly, both Roger's images above are "RAW". One, you simply clicked OK when the plug-in box came up, the other had a few tweaks in the parameters (you can change the defaults on those BTW, so then what is "pure RAW"... see what I mean???) There's threads on it, check it out.

The point is, everything you do in the RAW plug-in box is OK, because all you are doing is setting the processing factors that will convert the entire file from RAW to JPG - shadows, contrast, saturation, etc. So all your parameters affect the whole image. Photoshopping, as we're calling it for challenges, comes in when you start masking selected parts of the image, or cloning away a few pixels, and so on.

I feel like I'm hijacking this thread. I'll see if I can dig up some previous discussions on RAW and no-photoshopping.
    Erik

• Options
    edited January 14, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Sorry, Ginger and Roger, but I feel like you guys don't really understand RAW files. By stating "pure RAW"... just seems like you're missing a couple details. If I'm interpreting it correctly, both Roger's images above are "RAW". One, you simply clicked OK when the plug-in box came up, the other had a few tweaks in the parameters (you can change the defaults on those BTW, so then what is "pure RAW"... see what I mean???) There's threads on it, check it out.

The point is, everything you do in the RAW plug-in box is OK, because all you are doing is setting the processing factors that will convert the entire file from RAW to JPG - shadows, contrast, saturation, etc. So all your parameters affect the whole image. Photoshopping, as we're calling it for challenges, comes in when you start masking selected parts of the image, or cloning away a few pixels, and so on.

I feel like I'm hijacking this thread. I'll see if I can dig up some previous discussions on RAW and no-photoshopping.
    Here is really what I did: I set ALL parameters to 0 value before the OK. The only one which cannot be reset that way is white balance which I set to "As shot" to get the closest to what we get out of the camera. So we can call it almost "pure" while the other has the usual adjustments to bring the pic to real life.

I see what you mean, was just trying to give a good example where Ginger might get the point of RAW not being useable "as is".

Roger
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2005
    I don't know how to set parameters, don't really want to get into this. I think RAW against RAW set any way we wanted would be valuable, but everyone doesn't have RAW, so that is out.

The problem with the way it is now is that we are basically allowed in a no PS Challenge to do about everything I can do anyway.

Well, that is good, it brings the rest of you down to my level.:roll . I guess what annoys me is when something is allowed that is beyond my level. rolleyes1.gif

ginger
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2005
    Go, color, go!

I need to edumacate my eye to look for color. And being a fundamentally undisciplined individual, I need a challenge to make me do it. :D
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Eric&amp;SusanEric&amp;Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2005
    So since the poll is closed has anyone picked the next topic yet? Not sure who has the final say so.ne_nau.gif

eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2005
    Eric&Susan wrote:
    So since the poll is closed has anyone picked the next topic yet? Not sure who has the final say so.ne_nau.gif

eric
    I'm assuming it's Fire and matches etc.. it won the vote. Maybe cos it was so close again we'll do all three in a row.. what say Andrew. :D