Hardtop laminate photo mousepads

BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
edited January 4, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I'm disappointed to see that Smugmug only offers the extremely cheap quality cloth top mousepads. Smugmug disclaims the quality: "Color reproduction is not as accurate as with photographic prints or with gifts with a hard surface".

Are you guys ever going to offer the higher quality laminate/hard plastic top mousepads?

The laminate/hard top mousepads offer much much greater quality for photographic reproduction and the thickness (1/8" thick or thinner) is nicer the the 3/8" cloth tops.
Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    Hi, Ouch, I'm sorry you are disappointed in the mousepads we sell. They're actually quite good (have you ordered one?), though the ones you describe sound even nicer.

We don't disclaim, anything. We try to be as accurate as possible so that there are no surprises.

http://www.smugmug.com/prints/photo-mousepads

I'll put it on the list of things to look into.
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    Andy, from some searches I just did, I believe most of the hardtop mousepads are made from Lexan or Vynex. A Google search for "lexan hard top mousepad" should bring up several results.

Here is a description I grabbed from one of the sites I found:

"Lexan(r) and Vynex has been the ironclad standard for hard top mouse
    pads for eons. These Lexan/Vynex hard top mouse pads protect your
    promotional imprint under its textured "hard" top surface for a
    durable, professional presentation. Printing for hard top Lexan/Vynex
    mouse pads produces sharp images, bright colors and excellent color
    matching so your message always looks great."

I hate cloth/fabric top mousepads and have for years, at least since I used my first hardtop mousepad. I believe the majority of mousepads available in retail and as corp giveaways are now hard top (now = over the past several years).

I'm guessing that the cloth top mousepads are cheaper/easier to make for one-off printing, but they are just so "cheap looking/feeling" and old fashiioned. Just my opinion... ne_nau.gif
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    Thank you, again,for the info.