Winter (Cold Water) Surfing Shots

troutstreamingtroutstreaming Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
edited January 6, 2007 in Sports
Hi all,

Stumbled in to some surfing pictures in late December up here in the Pacific Northwest - not a bikini to be found. This is my first attempt at shooting surfing 20D 70-200 2.8 IS w/ the Canon 1.4. Images have cropped and post-processed for web display. Full gallery at http://troutstreaming.smugmug.com/gallery/2314518

120996375-M.jpg

121002089-M.jpg

120999501-M.jpg

120995809-M.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Andy
www.troutstreaming.com
Outdoor and Sports Media

Comments

• dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    pretty cool:D shotsclap.gif
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    Hi all,

Stumbled in to some surfing pictures in late December up here in the Pacific Northwest - not a bikini to be found. This is my first attempt at shooting surfing 20D 70-200 2.8 IS w/ the Canon 1.4. Images have cropped and post-processed for web display. Full gallery at http://troutstreaming.smugmug.com/gallery/2314518

Thanks for looking,
    Andy

Hi Andy.........geezz that first shot looks like he is surfing on Milk clap.gif
    You could do something cool with a bowl of cereal and this shot combined :D

Yep love that first one thumb.gif ... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    Skippy wrote:

Haha!! Good idea...would like to see a fruit loop or cheerio in this pic. wings.gif
  • ed_hed_h Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    Nice, the second shot is a knarly wave, looks like a cold water version of the pipeline.
    cheers, Ed
    A dog is for life, not just Christmas
    http://www.dogshome.org.au/
  • troutstreamingtroutstreaming Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    Skippy wrote:

No convenient stock photo of cereal sitting around, but here he could be looking at a giant descending spoon...

120998655-M.jpg
    www.troutstreaming.com
    Outdoor and Sports Media
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    Thats good sized surf thumb.gif Great job in that light.
  • troutstreamingtroutstreaming Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Thats good sized surf thumb.gif Great job in that light.
    Thanks all for the kind comments - with regard to light, I was walking the dog before sunrise (not hard to manage in the northwest in winter...) when the sun popped over the coastal range and created this low angle warm light spotlighting the tops of the breaking waves and wind blown spray: 120993757-M.jpg

But by the time I had gotten myself to the point where they were surfing the sun was behind clouds for the remainder of the day and the light was grey on grey - would that I had not needed to return to my parents to trade dog for glass. I shot RAW and pushed the exposure to the right by overexposing 1+ stops on capture and then in ACR pushed the shadow control hard to the right to expand the histogram data back towords the shadows and then the 'brightness' hard to the extreme left to try and get the definition in the mid-tones. I tried to not plug the wetsuits, but if I had I could finally start to get some nice definition out of the breaking waves and may play with some dual ACR exposure blends and hand tuned curves if I ever go to print any of these.
    www.troutstreaming.com
    Outdoor and Sports Media
  • MJRPHOTOMJRPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 432 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2007
    Hi all,

120996375-M.jpg

121002089-M.jpg

120999501-M.jpg

120995809-M.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Andy

Love the shots. Don't like the cropping. I would crop in a 6x4 format and leave more wave in front of the surfer.

98895454-L-1.jpg
    www.mjrphoto.net
    Nikon D4, Nikon D3, Nikon D3
    Nikon 14-24 f2.8, Nikon 24-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR II, Nikon 50 f1.8, Nikon 85 f1.4
    Nikon 300 f2.8 VR, Nikon 200-400 f4.0 VR II, Nikon 600 f4.0 II, TC-1.4, TC 1.7, TC 2.0
    (1) SB-800, (2) SB-900, (4) Multi Max Pocket Wizards