problems getting things done

carusophotocarusophoto Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited January 6, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Hello--

I've been frustrated all afternoon. I am trying to work on my galleries, and it seems as if there is a lack of rhyme and reason with everything I do. For instance, I will try to change settings on a gallery, but when i look at it, it doesn't seem changed. Worse yet, I have set my gallery to "hide owner=yes" and some of the photos in hte same gallery have the "tools" menus while some do not. This will be the case even if I look on another browser. Being loggin in our out also doesn't seem to make any difference.

Furthermore, sometimes changes/additions will show up and sometimes they won't. I will enter text for a gallery descrption, but it doesn't show up in the gallery view. However, if I click on "customize gallery" the text shows up in the box. Also, sometimes galleries I've added will show up in gallery view, but won't be recognized under the "categories" heading. Another example of this is that if I click on "logout" I'm taken to a screen that says "wait 10 seconds and you'll be returned to the page you were working on." I wait, and when I'm returned, it's as if I never logged out.

It feels as if changes that are made aren't immediate at all.

There is a distinct possibility that I'm doing something horribly wrong, but I feel like I've followed along fairly well. Is there something I'm missing, or is this just the way things are?

Thank you in advance for your help.

--John

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    I'm looking at your site now... standby
  • carusophotocarusophoto Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited January 4, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I'm looking at your site now... standby

Thanks so much, Andy. I appreciate your swift response. I hadn't anticipated such swiftness and I have to step away from my computer for a while, but I'll check back in a few hours. Again, thank you very much.
    edited January 4, 2007
    Hi, sorry - I need your SmugMug site name to help you :D
    edited January 4, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, sorry - I need your SmugMug site name to help you :D
    OK I guessed, and found you. http://carusophoto.smugmug.com/

Please put your smugmug site in your Dgrin profile, so we can find you again as need be :)
    edited January 4, 2007
    You have "hide owner" turned on for your galleries (I checked "minutia"). Just like the ? in the customize gallery screen says, hide owner will hide your name and all your customizations :) Change it to NO and you'll be set.
    edited January 4, 2007
    You can view your homepage by Cateogries or by Galleries. Toggle the view button and see the difference.
    edited January 4, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    You have "hide owner" turned on for your galleries (I checked "minutia"). Just like the ? in the customize gallery screen says, hide owner will hide your name and all your customizations :) Change it to NO and you'll be set.
    For example, I changed it for you on "Places" and now it has your custom header.

http://carusophoto.smugmug.com/gallery/2314540

wave.gif
    edited January 4, 2007
    Thanks, Andy, for all your help with this. I guess my problem was in the fact that I thought "hide owner" also meant the "tools" menus were hidden. I was concerned because, even when I was logged out, some photos still had the "tools" menus (and "edit" fields) active, leading me to believe any visitor would have access.

If I have any further instances, I'll come back here and post with more specifics.

Thanks again for all your help. It really is appreciated.

--John
    edited January 4, 2007
    Thanks, Andy, for all your help with this. I guess my problem was in the fact that I thought "hide owner" also meant the "tools" menus were hidden. I was concerned because, even when I was logged out, some photos still had the "tools" menus (and "edit" fields) active, leading me to believe any visitor would have access.

If I have any further instances, I'll come back here and post with more specifics.

Thanks again for all your help. It really is appreciated.

--John
    You weren't really logged out if you saw the photo or gallery tools. Best thing? Use a 2nd browser. We LOVE LOVE LOVE firefox,it's free from www.mozilla.com deal.gif
    edited January 5, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    You weren't really logged out if you saw the photo or gallery tools. Best thing? Use a 2nd browser. We LOVE LOVE LOVE firefox,it's free from www.mozilla.com deal.gif
    Andy--

There might be an issue with the machine I'm using, or a firewall issue. Last night and earlier this morning, on a different computer, all was working well. However, on the same computer I was using yesterday afternoon, I'm getting some odd behaviors.

I do use Firefox (and I, too, love it). But I have noticed this happening with both Firefox and IE7: I'll log in, then when I go to work on a gallery, no tools menus show up. When I look at the bottom of the page, I see a link that says "login." If I click on it, I get a message that tells me I'm already logged in. The same thing happens on my home page. If I click on my category link ("Photography") I get the customize button under the gallery thumbnail, but if I click on the gallery, it's acting again as if I'm not logged in. The odd thing is that this happens on some of my galleries, but not every one. For instance, I can't work on the "animals," "minutia," "recent," "places" or "transportation" galleries. However, I can work normally on the "moments" and "signs" galleries.

I've been playing arund with it, and I can't seem to be recognized as "logged in" on my homepage. No browser will work. Hmmm.

Once again, I'm stumped. I do about half my work on each machine, so figuring this out would be a big boost.

Thanks again for any help that may be floating around out there.
    edited January 5, 2007
    As an update: I just discovered that I can access the tools in my "places," "moments," an "signs" gallery, but none of the others. I also can't access my user homepage (it still looks like the homepage visitors get, as if I wasn't logged in). Part of the issue with that is that I cannot access my non-public galleries.

Curiouser and curiouser....
    edited January 5, 2007
    Even more curious!

I've downloaded Opera (browser). Once I logged in with that, I was able to see my homepage. Then, when I return to the Firefox browser which I left open, I was able to access my member homepage!

And the trend continues....

I go to Opera and open a gallery that looks like the public version. I go to the bottom of the page and click "login." I get the page saying I'm alread logged in. I wait until it redirects automatically, and, poof, I have my member page. I then go back to the Firefox session and reload the same gallery and, poof, it's the member page. If I tried the same series of events in Firefox, nothing happens. It seems that the key is to do it in Opera first, then return to Firefox.

I don't know what that glitch is, but it's something! Talk about ghosts in the machine.
    edited January 6, 2007
    Even more curious!

I've downloaded Opera (browser). Once I logged in with that, I was able to see my homepage. Then, when I return to the Firefox browser which I left open, I was able to access my member homepage!

And the trend continues....

I go to Opera and open a gallery that looks like the public version. I go to the bottom of the page and click "login." I get the page saying I'm alread logged in. I wait until it redirects automatically, and, poof, I have my member page. I then go back to the Firefox session and reload the same gallery and, poof, it's the member page. If I tried the same series of events in Firefox, nothing happens. It seems that the key is to do it in Opera first, then return to Firefox.

I don't know what that glitch is, but it's something! Talk about ghosts in the machine.

What are your cookie settings in Firefox please?