Options

A few more indoor soccer shots

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited January 12, 2005 in Sports
I'm slowly crawling out of the PP cellar! Too many soccer photos!
This one is from last Monday night - our boys won by 12 - 0, it was very boring! The refs played with the time clock a bit, trying to give the other team a few more scoring opportunities. Gave me the chance to get my son in action.
13886992-M.jpg

One of the many goals for us: (the black hue to the left is actually the netting that runs the length of the field - no more leaning in with the monopod!)
13886999-M.jpg

a shot on goal
13886993-M.jpg

and one of my little son (the hippy!)
13864165-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2005
    Thanks for the soccer pictures they are great.
    What camera did you use?

take care,
    Chuck
    Ann McRae wrote:
    I'm slowly crawling out of the PP cellar! Too many soccer photos!
    This one is from last Monday night - our boys won by 12 - 0, it was very boring! The refs played with the time clock a bit, trying to give the other team a few more scoring opportunities. Gave me the chance to get my son in action.
    13886992-M.jpg

One of the many goals for us: (the black hue to the left is actually the netting that runs the length of the field - no more leaning in with the monopod!)
    13886999-M.jpg

a shot on goal
    13886993-M.jpg

and one of my little son (the hippy!)
    13864165-M.jpg
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2005
    Thanks for the soccer pictures they are great.
    What camera did you use?

take care,
    Chuck
    Hi Chuck

I use the 20d with an 85mm f1.8 lens, ISO 1600 f2.2 in order to get a shutter speed of 1/400. Lighting is terrible!

ann
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited January 9, 2005
    I see strobes in Ann's future :D

Only kidding.

Again, you have some nice action shots.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 9, 2005
    Very cool! And your triptychs are a nice precursor to next week's challenge.

13886993-S.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    I see strobes in Ann's future :D

Only kidding.

Again, you have some nice action shots.

Ian
    Ian - what are strobes? headscratch.gif

ann
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2005
    Thanks! I'm finding that people are more interested in 'having copies' of the triptychs than single shots!

ann
  • Options
    edited January 9, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Ian - what are strobes? headscratch.gif

ann
    Flash units. For indoor court sports they are mounted on light stands or
    in larger arenas, up in the catwalks. They provide nice fill lighting and
    color balance. The same strobes can be used as studio lighting (similarly
    to the ones I used for the party pics I posted a while back).

Ian
  • Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2005
    Strobes also allows you to shoot at lower shutter speeds because when the fire, they sort of "freeze" the actions.

I dream of strobes too.

I love the 2nd photo of the first triptych, the expression on the goalie is great!
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2005
    winger wrote:
    Strobes also allows you to shoot at lower shutter speeds because when the fire, they sort of "freeze" the actions.

I dream of strobes too.

I love the 2nd photo of the first triptych, the expression on the goalie is great!
    Well, strobes are not in my immediate future :D I am sure!

I love that photo too - that's my boy!

Thanks

ann
  • Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited January 11, 2005
    Nice ones Ann thumb.gif As you point out, it doesn't hurt that you're taking pictures of your boys mwink.gif Kind of makes the shots a little more near and dear to the heart.

Great action and very nice color. You are just going to have to tell those other players not to block out your son.....lol Hey, I'm shootin pitchas here :lol

Thanks for sharing,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2005
    Actually Steve - it's usually the ref thats the problem. Some of them actually become self conscious in front of me - some even apologize. The other night at the little guys game, the ref asked me if I wanted to shoot from the penalty box instead! I did, and it was great. However being at half court I would make good use of the 135 f2 instead of the 85mm.

Couldn't have been in the penalty box last night - big boys game and there were players in it - at the end of the game the opposition had 4 players in it at the same time! thumb.gif (made scoring a bit easier - but their goalie was pretty good!)

ann
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Actually Steve - it's usually the ref thats the problem. Some of them actually become self conscious in front of me - some even apologize. The other night at the little guys game, the ref asked me if I wanted to shoot from the penalty box instead! I did, and it was great. However being at half court I would make good use of the 135 f2 instead of the 85mm.

Couldn't have been in the penalty box last night - big boys game and there were players in it - at the end of the game the opposition had 4 players in it at the same time! thumb.gif (made scoring a bit easier - but their goalie was pretty good!)

ann
    I always try and skate to where ever the photog is and stand there :D
    Ok, only kidding...penalty box in soccer? I thought it was all yellow/red card?

Ian
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    I always try and skate to where ever the photog is and stand there :D
    Ok, only kidding...penalty box in soccer? I thought it was all yellow/red card?

Ian
    The indoor soccer game is played an awful lot like hockey (here, anyway - it is not consistent across the country or the world). 5 players plus a goalie, cards result in penalties (2 or 4 minutes), the ball and often the boys get bounced off of the boards, etc. It is very fast, requires ball skills, and quite entertaining. But many purists do not call it soccer.
    ann
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2005
    Ann McRae wrote:
    The indoor soccer game is played an awful lot like hockey (here, anyway - it is not consistent across the country or the world). 5 players plus a goalie, cards result in penalties (2 or 4 minutes), the ball and often the boys get bounced off of the boards, etc. It is very fast, requires ball skills, and quite entertaining. But many purists do not call it soccer.
    ann
    Thanks! That sounds like a lot of fun to watch--outdoor is fun to watch but it
    sometimes takes time for play to develop.

ian