Video Ipod

3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
edited January 5, 2007 in Technique
Has anyone used the Video Ipod to download photos from Canon Camera to the Ipod for storage during a photo event?

I heard about this but never thought about doing it.

:dunno

Comments

• TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2007
    I took a 60 Gb iPod on a trip to Australia along with the Apple iPod connector that connects the camera to the iPod. I tested it once, briefly, before leaving.

Over the course of six weeks, I downloaded thousands of photos for a total of nearly 25 gigs. It worked flawlessly.

The only downside is that you cannot view or display photos on the iPod until they are downloaded through iPhoto.

Neverthless, as a multipurpose storage device, it worked flawlessly.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • 3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    Tommyboy, thanks for the info.. it sounds awesome. Is this still possible since I don't have a mac? Can I still xfer them to a PC.

Scott

Tommyboy wrote:
    I took a 60 Gb iPod on a trip to Australia along with the Apple iPod connector that connects the camera to the iPod. I tested it once, briefly, before leaving.

Over the course of six weeks, I downloaded thousands of photos for a total of nearly 25 gigs. It worked flawlessly.

The only downside is that you cannot view or display photos on the iPod until they are downloaded through iPhoto.

Neverthless, as a multipurpose storage device, it worked flawlessly.
    edited January 5, 2007
    kc7dji wrote:
    Tommyboy, thanks for the info.. it sounds awesome. Is this still possible since I don't have a mac? Can I still xfer them to a PC.

Scott

I can't say for sure, but I assume so. Lots of PC users use the iPod as a music player. You're only using it as a portable HD with your pictures application. A quick call to 1-800-MY-APPLE should answer your question.

Let us know how it turns out.

NEW Smugmug Site
  • dlibrachdlibrach Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    kc7dji wrote:

Scott
    Yep. I've got one and use it on a PC and there are no problems.

However, I would refrain from using this during an event. As Tommyboy mentioned, this is a great tool for traveling but it is practically useless at an event.

What's the difference? At an event you are usually trying to do things quickly and quite often require something that will be able to take many cards without recharging. On a vacation, you usually don't shoot as many photos each day, like you would at a wedding let's say, and can generally take your time at your hotel room (or any where that you are staying) that night to download a card or two and recharge the iPod overnight.

I have the 30GB version and can only get 1-2 gb downloaded on a fully charged battery. Plus it does take about 15-25 minutes to download a card and I have to keep my camera tethered to the unit. You can try using a seperate card reader but for some reason, mine does not work with the iPod.

I always take my iPod and camera adapter for travelling but I bring a dedicated storage device when shooting events.

Cheers,
    Dave
    edited January 5, 2007
    I'll second Dave's comments. The device does need to be fully recharged (I haven't had it go dead on me, but it burns through the charge pretty good) and is a slow upload.

NEW Smugmug Site
    edited January 5, 2007
    Ok very good. Yes I was thinking about vacation typ events but while we are on the subject what is the preferred device for events such as weddings? Just multiple cards?

dlibrach wrote:
    Yep. I've got one and use it on a PC and there are no problems.

However, I would refrain from using this during an event. As Tommyboy mentioned, this is a great tool for traveling but it is practically useless at an event.

What's the difference? At an event you are usually trying to do things quickly and quite often require something that will be able to take many cards without recharging. On a vacation, you usually don't shoot as many photos each day, like you would at a wedding let's say, and can generally take your time at your hotel room (or any where that you are staying) that night to download a card or two and recharge the iPod overnight.

I have the 30GB version and can only get 1-2 gb downloaded on a fully charged battery. Plus it does take about 15-25 minutes to download a card and I have to keep my camera tethered to the unit. You can try using a seperate card reader but for some reason, mine does not work with the iPod.

I always take my iPod and camera adapter for travelling but I bring a dedicated storage device when shooting events.

Cheers,
    Dave
  • dlibrachdlibrach Registered Users Posts: 232 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2007
    kc7dji wrote:
    Ok very good. Yes I was thinking about vacation typ events but while we are on the subject what is the preferred device for events such as weddings? Just multiple cards?

Well, I use multiple cards (over 8gbs worth) but back up each card to a storage device too. I do not erase the cards. That way I have the images stored in two places at once so that if anything goes wrong with one of them, than the other should still be ok. I find that amount of cards is more than enough for the type of events I cover but I guess in a pinch, I could re-format a card and hope that all the images on the storage device went through OK.

I have a generic, no-name brand 40gb device. It only cost me ~$100 but it does the trick. Unforunately, I cannot direct where to find another one of the same model as it was a one-time thing through some connections. I've heard nothing but good things about the the Epsons and Jobos.

Cheers,
    Dave
    edited January 5, 2007
    thanks.. that is an excellent Idea. I have always kept the images on the cards as well. I just don't have the means for 2 place storage yet but it's a good time to think about it.

Scott

dlibrach wrote:
    Well, I use multiple cards (over 8gbs worth) but back up each card to a storage device too. I do not erase the cards. That way I have the images stored in two places at once so that if anything goes wrong with one of them, than the other should still be ok. I find that amount of cards is more than enough for the type of events I cover but I guess in a pinch, I could re-format a card and hope that all the images on the storage device went through OK.

no-name brand 40gb device. It only cost me ~$100 but it does the trick. Unforunately, I cannot direct where to find another one of the same model as it was a one-time thing through some connections. I've heard nothing but good things about the the Epsons and Jobos.

Cheers,
    Dave